ICT deferment letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Hi guys...sorry gals, this is a pure guy matter ;p

Anyone of you have written a deferment letter before? I need to come with up one where I could also get my 'boss' to endorse or for him to add in phrases like 'strongly recommended' and such. As you can see I've totally no experience in drafting a letter like this...pointers please?

Originally posted by AdamGoi
Hi guys...sorry gals, this is a pure guy matter ;p

Anyone of you have written a deferment letter before? I need to come with up one where I could also get my 'boss' to endorse or for him to add in phrases like 'strongly recommended' and such. As you can see I've totally no experience in drafting a letter like this...pointers please?

First and foremost, you have to write in early.

Second, you need not only 1 reason but at least 2 or 3 reasons.

FYI, I got deferment due to the following reasons (all true):

Work

Company is undergoing major restructuring, which my department is affected. As I am the key staff in the department, I was needed to organise and execute the company's policy.

Company is undergoing ISO certification where there is a deadline to be met due to corporate direction. Again, I was the key member in the committee.

Personal

I was getting married during that period, and I need to organise my wedding dinner as well as the photography session.

Bought a resale flat during that time and need to refurnish the place.

Please note that in your last paragraph, make sure your boss writes something that "he fully understands the importance in serving the country, but due to the circumstances currently facing him, he has no choice but to ask for deferment on your behalf."

Even with the above reasons which were all genuine, I was not exempted until I threaten to see my MP regarding the above. Finally, they gave in.

The S3 even has the cheek to congratulate me on my marriage!!
;(

Well, it depends whether your unit is siao on or not. If not, probably will be able to be exempted.

Hope that the above is of help to you. And wishing you the success in getting your deferment from your reservist stint.

:)

err...so troublesome meh? The last 2 time, my HR just sent in say i'm not available and i disrupted.

Originally posted by Shadus
err...so troublesome meh? The last 2 time, my HR just sent in say i'm not available and i disrupted.

Like I said, depends on your unit on or not.:D

Originally posted by Goondu

Work

Company is undergoing major restructuring, which my department is affected. As I am the key staff in the department, I was needed to organise and execute the company's policy.

Company is undergoing ISO certification where there is a deadline to be met due to corporate direction. Again, I was the key member in the committee.

Personal

I was getting married during that period, and I need to organise my wedding dinner as well as the photography session.

Please note that in your last paragraph, make sure your boss writes something that "he fully understands the importance in serving the country, but due to the circumstances currently facing him, he has no choice but to ask for deferment on your behalf."

Even with the above reasons which were all genuine, I was not exempted until I threaten to see my MP regarding the above. Finally, they gave in.

;(

Well, it depends whether your unit is siao on or not. If not, probably will be able to be exempted.

Hope that the above is of help to you. And wishing you the success in getting your deferment from your reservist stint.

Hi Goondu; thanks for your detailed reply!

Let me go down the list...

1. ...getting married? No GF, how?
2. ...key staff? Nar...still a fry...
3. ...new place? Still staying with mom!

Hmm...your case appears stronger than mine, but I'll try anyway...

Btw, how do you faciltate your employer's endorsement in the letter?

Anyway the upcoming one is my first ICT and given that I'll be away for 3.5 weeks, my students (yes, I'm a teacher) will be without a suitable mentor as they are a special group in my school; you see they're are in the tail-end graduating EM2 class and their results leave plenty and I mean PLENTY of room for improvement. There's no one in my school who have the most recent experience in mentoring them thus I feel the need for me to be with them during crucial run-in of PSLE is of utmost importance.

I know it'll be an uphill task but I'll try my best, that is even if I have to do whatever in my means (legal that is). I'm even prepared to suggest (if possible) to do ICT during my long-waited school holidays!

Any more pointers?

Originally posted by AdamGoi

Anyway the upcoming one is my first ICT and given that I'll be away for 3.5 weeks, my students (yes, I'm a teacher) will be without a suitable mentor as they are a special group in my school; you see they're are in the tail-end graduating EM2 class and their results leave plenty and I mean PLENTY of room for improvement. There's no one in my school who have the most recent experience in mentoring them thus I feel the need for me to be with them during crucial run-in of PSLE is of utmost importance.

I know it'll be an uphill task but I'll try my best, that is even if I have to do whatever in my means (legal that is). I'm even prepared to suggest (if possible) to do ICT during my long-waited school holidays!

Any more pointers?

Good, you have come up with a valid reason. Use the above to your maximum advantage.

First, convince your boss that if you are away for 3.5 weeks, there will not be any continuance in their studies. Show to your boss that they are beginning to make progress (I'm sure they are) with you guiding them. Having a relief teacher during this period may be able to satisfy the curriculum, but having you around to guide them would be better since you have already build up the rapport with them.

I used to come from a particular class where there was more than 1 relief teacher and I can vouch that my results weren't good at all. Each teacher will have their methods in imparting knowledge to them.

Why did I said to convince your boss when you are applying for ICT deferment? Because I believe if your boss is convinced, your case would have a better chance of success.

In the letter, make sure that you write what you have written in your last paragraph. This is important to show that you care both the children of the country and willing to serve the country.

Hope that helps.

Good, you have come up with a valid reason. Use the above to your maximum advantage.

First, convince your boss that if you are away for 3.5 weeks, there will not be any continuance in their studies. Show to your boss that they are beginning to make progress (I'm sure they are) with you guiding them. Having a relief teacher during this period may be able to satisfy the curriculum, but having you around to guide them would be better since you have already build up the rapport with them.

I used to come from a particular class where there was more than 1 relief teacher and I can vouch that my results weren't good at all. Each teacher will have their methods in imparting knowledge to them.

Why did I said to convince your boss when you are applying for ICT deferment? Because I believe if your boss is convinced, your case would have a better chance of success.

In the letter, make sure that you write what you have written in your last paragraph. This is important to show that you care both the children of the country and willing to serve the country.

Hope that helps.

I don't think you'll be tired hearing this...thanks! ;)

I thought most teacher end up in units which have ICT during school holidays. Got a friend who juggle ICT for one two years and some deferment plus school term and suddenly they just post him onto some waiting list. Still waiting for a unit.

I think you could write in with your reason first. If fail, try other means, like talking to your MP. It helps to be persistent, even though your case might not be strong. Rally the support of the parents, maybe?

Take it from me, the 1st ICT is where the foundations of the unit is formed. You suddenly assumes (kana arrowed) important roles when default appointees (usually former regulars) never turn up. And 3.5 weeks for a ICT is long. Attend for more than 10 days a year and it would have been counted as one ICT. And if you get deferred, when attending ICT with another unit, you will assume the role of LOBO.

Originally posted by foxfire
... when attending ICT with another unit, you will assume the role of LOBO.

Not true, there was one ICT which I attended have someone become the Section IC, and boy was he blurr.

:confused:

Sad to tell u this...but it may be quite difficult for u to skip this ICT, cos the SAF have a change of policy on reservist duty. NSmen are required to go 2 ICT per year instead one now...thanx to Osama!

How do I get this info? Tell u frankly, I'm a regular in navy so I often get first hand news and to reaffirmed that info, my brother in- law got recalled back thrice since he ORDed a year and half ago. He was a regular as well (RSAF).

But then again, probably they will give face a bit since u r in the civil service..just keep your fingers crossed. Try to draft a valid and concrete defrement letter is the best advice i can offer. Hope that all this info help and not spoil your rest of your day. :thumbsup: GOOD LUCK!:thumbsup:

Work

Personal

;(

quite similar experience, my unit also very on. 2PDF.

wrote in more than 3 times, again and again, almost want to go and see MP liao. They don't care even if your wife is going to give birth or even your next-of-kin pass away etc..., these days, you are just expected to SERVE.

Really hate that time of the year.....
but if no one serve, our neighbour is going to get even more arrogant.

Not true, there was one ICT which I attended have someone become the Section IC, and boy was he blurr.

Heh heh :) , maybe should have add in the word 'usually'. But my experience ( I have 1 ICT to go!!!! yehhh) is that those SSGs lah, SGTs lah from other unit somehow becomes very blur, or rather act blur when doing ICT with us. They hang around everywhere and we can't let them assume roles they have in their own unit. So most of them waste time with us, we waste their time - maybe my unit too good lah. But if your rank very high high one hor, even want to shiam also cannot hor.

Originally posted by foxfire

Heh heh :) , maybe should have add in the word 'usually'. But my experience ( I have 1 ICT to go!!!! yehhh) is that those SSGs lah, SGTs lah from other unit somehow becomes very blur, or rather act blur when doing ICT with us. They hang around everywhere and we can't let them assume roles they have in their own unit. So most of them waste time with us, we waste their time - maybe my unit too good lah. But if your rank very high high one hor, even want to shiam also cannot hor.

He was only a corporal when he ROD (my time) and he is tasked to be the Section IC. No doubt we suffered under his hands.

Originally posted by panz
:confused:

Sad to tell u this...but it may be quite difficult for u to skip this ICT, cos the SAF have a change of policy on reservist duty. NSmen are required to go 2 ICT per year instead one now...thanx to Osama!

How do I get this info? Tell u frankly, I'm a regular in navy so I often get first hand news and to reaffirmed that info, my brother in- law got recalled back thrice since he ORDed a year and half ago. He was a regular as well (RSAF).

But then again, probably they will give face a bit since u r in the civil service..just keep your fingers crossed. Try to draft a valid and concrete defrement letter is the best advice i can offer. Hope that all this info help and not spoil your rest of your day. :thumbsup: GOOD LUCK!:thumbsup:

mabe they only call back you ex-regulars 2 times a year ;)

hmmm,

if i'm not wrong, they only accept 2 reasons and they must be supported with documents or evidence.

1. you are in a new job or under probation. just get your boss to send in a letter that you are still under probation and that doing ICT might cost you to lose your job. will work especially in such poor economic situations.

2. you are married and your wife happens to be giving birth during your ICT. this one just get a doctors letter can already, with the due date printed for them to see. you must be damn lucky to defer with this reason.

if you are desperate and the above 2 reasons are not applicable, go and see your MP to write a letter. This is a sure work thingy, but you must be able to bluff your way through if you are not really in dire situations. It would be good if you can make a call to your office and tell them your situation, and that if they can't help, you'll just have to see your MP. This normally defers you and save you the trouble of seeing your MP, and them having to do the paperwork in defering you and replying the MP.

ex clerk:D

and for those who think that they are about to finish their reservist duties, think again. i believe after the army, everyone one else have will be posted to civil defence...issit? that's what i heard and that was way back in 98.

at least CD not so siong, don't need to go field liao. ha....

no more IPPT.

if u r a teacher, then I would advise u not to defer your ICT. Deferment is bad for civil servants.

And if this is your first ICT, I think you should go and join the unit. At least get to know the people better. Don't forget that you will be spending the next 13 years with them. (at least for some time every year)

Just my 2 cents worth........no flaming please........

Status
Not open for further replies.