Iceland end March, any wildlife to shoot?

Fantasy747

Oct 30, 2007
Calling all folks who have been to Iceland. I am going end of march and am wondering if I should lug my 70-200 along, or even the 100-400 for wildlife. Is it still to cold for birds? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

I came back from Iceland yesterday and the weather condition is bad. I have yet to encounter any animals except for horses kept within their fences, ducks and seagulls were spotted along the coast of Reyjavik.

I went in March / April period. There were puffins at one location. Regretted not bringing a telephoto lens

I came back from Iceland yesterday and the weather condition is bad. I have yet to encounter any animals except for horses kept within their fences, ducks and seagulls were spotted along the coast of Reyjavik.

Thansk dor the update. Will be arriving this friday. Yeah its been raining/snowing.

just got back 2 weeks there. i didnt see much wildlife. horses, seagulls, swans? thats about it. my friends saw an artic fox. good luck with the weather! i went by the puffin spot. there was no puffin yet. btw i did carry 14-400. since most spots i could drive to so there wasnt really alot of walking...

Last edited:
Sep to Apr are still belongs to winter, more suitable for viewing the Northern Light. Best times for Puffin is from Jun~Jul.

Thanks guys for the info. I am here already.weather was so bad yesterday. Snow with winds so strong my check in luggage weighing 23 kg was moving by itself in the wind. Flight couldnt land and diverted. Ended up a super long day. Todays weather was better. But did the golden circle route. Gullfoss is pretty much covered in ice all around. Saw an artic fox ran across the road when I was driving. It then stopped on the other side and just watch all the cars go by

Thanks guys for the info. I am here already.weather was so bad yesterday. Snow with winds so strong my check in luggage weighing 23 kg was moving by itself in the wind. Flight couldnt land and diverted. Ended up a super long day. Todays weather was better. But did the golden circle route. Gullfoss is pretty much covered in ice all around. Saw an artic fox ran across the road when I was driving. It then stopped on the other side and just watch all the cars go by
haha when I was there my car was swinging from side to side when I was driving in the storm! Be safe! And yes gullfoss didn't look very photogenic in all that dirty snow/ice. Check out Brúarfoss. Way nicer to photograph.

haha when I was there my car was swinging from side to side when I was driving in the storm! Be safe! And yes gullfoss didn't look very photogenic in all that dirty snow/ice. Check out Brúarfoss. Way nicer to photograph.

Thanks fpr the tip but I think its too late. I am up at Akureyri. The weather hasnt been that great. We only got 3 sunny days so far and if its not snowing the wind is so strong. Everyday its been in minus teritory. Today was minus 8 in most places. We have been hiking in thick snow. dettifoss was the worse. Snowed so bad the roads were really bad. And we had to hike in almost 1 foot snow in strong winds for 1.6km. Feels like watching Nat Geo Antartica or Artic. 2 days ago it snowed so heavily whilst driving the visibility dropped to zero with blowing snow. Couldnt see anything at all. Winds so strong we struggle to even close the car door. Then the main ring road was closed and we had to find other place to stay as we could not get to our town when we book our hotel. Tomorrow onwards it will get warmer, but its going to rain for the next 3-4 days. Just my luck I guess. Almost whole trip got weather. Also there are hardly any wildlife this time of year, except for some ducks and horses. No point bringing a long lens. Cloud cover has been ongoing almost whole trip so no aurora to see as well. Moral of the story guys dont plan to come at this time of the year. Not good for photography. And road conditions are poor. Icy and very slippery. Its been 6 days I havent even gone through 1 memory card!