ICC profile??

Status
Not open for further replies.

y0ngcheng

Nov 24, 2003
新加坡
What does ICC profile does and how to adjust it to have a fine photo printing at outside photo labs?? :dunno: :dunno:

Hieee

ICC Profiles actually describe the gamut, or commonly known as the printable colour space and characteristic of the output device it is representing.

Firstly by calibrating your monitor to CIE's standard, then by using photoshop and using the view>proof setup, you will be able to "Simulate" the colours that are supposely to be printed at the labs. I.E. soft proofing on your screen.

Hope that helped. :D

oppss sorry, for the technicality.
If you were to purchase products from the likes of Colorvision spyder, Gretag-Macbeths iOne or X-rite's Colour workflow system, they will automatically follow the standards, CIE is the Consortium for establishing Colour standards.

none the less, you might wanna try with just adobe gamma, it might be abit crude, but you might save a few hundred dollars.

waisj said:
Hieee

ICC Profiles actually describe the gamut, or commonly known as the printable colour space and characteristic of the output device it is representing.

Firstly by calibrating your monitor to CIE's standard, then by using photoshop and using the view>proof setup, you will be able to "Simulate" the colours that are supposely to be printed at the labs. I.E. soft proofing on your screen.

Hope that helped. :D

thanks for spending time typing this.. but i stll very blur and dont understand. :sweat:

What he is saying is that

you can buy those products (eg colorvision spyder) to help you to adjust your monitor to the CIE standard, (which ensure that all the color are correctly produce on your screen)

then using the ICC profile with photoshop, you can see how it will look like if printed out on paper.

Alternatively, if you don't want to spend money, adobe gamma may help you to adjust your monitor.

pcwe68 said:
What he is saying is that

you can buy those products (eg colorvision spyder) to help you to adjust your monitor to the CIE standard, (which ensure that all the color are correctly produce on your screen)

then using the ICC profile with photoshop, you can see how it will look like if printed out on paper.

Alternatively, if you don't want to spend money, adobe gamma may help you to adjust your monitor.

heh heh... thanks... for the "translation" :D :D

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: i asked my neighbourhood lab and he told me he dunno wads ICC profile. den i tell him its affect the photo colour prints. what he told me back is adjust my RGB settings. how come like this??? :dunno:

hahah.. this thread was started 2 years ago. came across it and found this "i asked my neighbourhood lab and he told me he dunno wads ICC profile. den i tell him its affect the photo colour prints. what he told me back is adjust my RGB settings. how come like this??? quite funny. althogh i dun really understand bout color management. but i think what the shop owner said is wrong right ? :dunno:

most neighbourhood labs are not pro labs man...the closest u will get is by downloading the ICC profile for their printer from the company the printer is made....

buten again, it may not be accurate...i know labs like Kim Tian do have their ICC profile uploaded online...

do correct me if i am wrong..

cheers

marklim said:
hahah.. this thread was started 2 years ago. came across it and found this "i asked my neighbourhood lab and he told me he dunno wads ICC profile. den i tell him its affect the photo colour prints. what he told me back is adjust my RGB settings. how come like this??? quite funny. althogh i dun really understand bout color management. but i think what the shop owner said is wrong right ? :dunno:
As long as your monitor profile is correct it should be ok. You are not the one doing the printing, so you don't need the printer profile. That's for the printer to worry about.

but if i'm not wrong, we need to soft proof the printing result to see what we will be getting right ? :dunno:

lsisaxon said:
As long as your monitor profile is correct it should be ok. You are not the one doing the printing, so you don't need the printer profile. That's for the printer to worry about.

You're right to say we don't need the printer profile, but it's not to say we don't have to worry. If the lab guys' equipment cannot read the embedded ICC profile in the photograph we send to print, he might still get the colours wrong when he prints them.

Hi,

From what I have seen. If you know the printing device they are using, you may be able to find the ICC profile on the net.

For instance. If they are usinf a Fujifilm Frontier for printing.

If you know how to use that ICC profile then good.

Labs that use the Frontier are often fed the photo information via a server.
In most cases, your card/cd or what ever, can be input there (if the operator is willing)
And then (if they are willing) you can ask them to turn off colour correction.

In a general "public" use of labs like this, they have one or more (we have 4) what I call pods.
These "pods" are devices with screens that the customer loads their card or CD into and selects their photo's they want printed.

These pods are networked with the server and the operator forwards them from there to the Frontier.

If you use the "pods" for your photo's, they are automatically colour corrected.

Hence my suggestion of asking to have your photo's entered at the server with colour correction OFF.

I believe I have this right....please correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers :)

shadowmoses said:
You're right to say we don't need the printer profile, but it's not to say we don't have to worry. If the lab guys' equipment cannot read the embedded ICC profile in the photograph we send to print, he might still get the colours wrong when he prints them.
The embedded profiles in JPEGs are sRGB profiles. That is the basis which you work with. The monitor ICC profiles maps the sRGB colour space to your monitor so that it shows the correct colour. The printer ICC profile maps the sRGB profile so that the printer prints the correct colour, so they are independent of each other.

You will only need to use a printer profile if you are giving them a RAW printer file to send directly to their print engine, which they will neevr do for you. You just need to make sure your monitor is properly calibrated such that an sRGB file shows up correctly and you have to hope that the lab has enough expertise to make sure their output is calibrated for sRGB. ColourLab at Adelphi is one such lab with a properly calibrated output. All I need is send them my JPEGs and tell them not to colour correct and the output will match my Spyder-calibrated monitor very closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.