icarus

Jan 27, 2002
East
Old thread getting a bit long, so started a new one here. :bsmile:
Many thanks to ykia for his contribution :thumbsup:

Star Trail Shoot at Punggol Jetty
-------------------------------
Date: 25~26 Jun 05

Start time: 6pm, meet at Punggol MRT station, nearest exit facing bus interchange.
We will then make our way for dinner nearby and then to the jetty.

End time: Approx 5am. Depending on ppl's energy level/weather, maybe overnite if no/litte clouds. Keep tracking the weather at www.nea.gov.sg.

To bring:
--------
1. Camera (digital/film ok, better results with film, slides the best, try to get iso 100 or slower).
2. Small torch.
3. Tripod.
4. Cable/Remote release is good to have, but if you have a self-timer button, it can work, too. Be sure you test it out (and the mirror lockup) at home first as it's going to be tough to fiddle in the dark.
5. Lens: WA or 50mm ok. Don't forget the hood.
6. Digital users: Extra fully charged battery.

[Optional]
---------
7. Flash to light up the foreground.
8. Lens warmer to reduce condensation. (need Dennis/Icarus to explain)
9. Insect repellent, drinks, something to sit on.

Wet-Weather
-------------
A bus stop is located 200m from the jetty so it will be a good t-shelter. Also, there is a 24hr Kopi Tiam at Punggol Central. We can hang there until the rain dies down.

And here's the sign-up sheet:

01. icarus
02. ykia
03. denniskee
04. theITguy
05. jkl
06. hazekang
07. S11loop
08. code (meeting us later at the jetty)
09. horizonsky

:devil:

8. Lens warmer to reduce condensation.

Optional : bring along a small battery operated fan to keep the air cool and circulated around the front lens element. :angel:

icarus said:
8. Lens warmer to reduce condensation.

Optional : bring along a small battery operated fan to keep the air cool and circulated around the front lens element. :angel:
And to cool yrself keke

Hi Star Trailers,

I have just posted a teaser taken on Sat. Have a look at it:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=137318

Didn't have enough time to do a long exposure. Just wanted to show that you don't need too much gear to get a nice shot *as long as the weather holds and your energy level remains good* :)

will try shooting myself (5 multiple) in the photo, like "the beach", but what they did was negative example as they did not use flash (strobe mode).

let discuss on how to do this :

assume I use 550ex, using ISO100 negative, guide no @ 24mm is 28. so if i stand 2.5m away, use f2.8 on my pentax 24mm,

28/2.8=10m

in manual mode, reduce power by 1/16, i get 2.5m

so if i stand infront @ 5 position, fire off the flash @ this setting @ each position, I should be able to 5x me!!! back ground is black sky, so no problem.

is this theory correct?

icarus said:
Old thread getting a bit long, so started a new one here. :bsmile:
Many thanks to ykia for his contribution :thumbsup:

Star Trail Shoot at Punggol Jetty
-------------------------------
Date: 25~26 Jun 05

Start time: 6pm, meet at Punggol MRT station, nearest exit facing bus interchange.
We will then make our way for dinner nearby and then to the jetty.

End time: Approx 5am. Depending on ppl's energy level/weather, maybe overnite if no/litte clouds. Keep tracking the weather at www.nea.gov.sg.

To bring:
--------
1. Camera (digital/film ok, better results with film, slides the best, try to get iso 100 or slower).
2. Small torch.
3. Tripod.
4. Cable/Remote release is good to have, but if you have a self-timer button, it can work, too. Be sure you test it out (and the mirror lockup) at home first as it's going to be tough to fiddle in the dark.
5. Lens: WA or 50mm ok. Don't forget the hood.
6. Digital users: Extra fully charged battery.

[Optional]
---------
7. Flash to light up the foreground.
8. Lens warmer to reduce condensation. (need Dennis/Icarus to explain)
9. Insect repellent, drinks, something to sit on.

Wet-Weather
-------------
A bus stop is located 200m from the jetty so it will be a good t-shelter. Also, there is a 24hr Kopi Tiam at Punggol Central. We can hang there until the rain dies down.

And here's the sign-up sheet:

01. icarus
02. ykia
03. denniskee
04. theITguy
05. jkl
06. hazekang
07. S11loop
08. code (meeting us later at the jetty)
09. horizonsky

:devil:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: i knw why u cant meet it leh.....Enjoy yr shoot out... :)

denniskee said:
will try shooting myself (5 multiple) in the photo, like "the beach", but what they did was negative example as they did not use flash (strobe mode).

let discuss on how to do this :

assume I use 550ex, using ISO100 negative, guide no @ 24mm is 28. so if i stand 2.5m away, use f2.8 on my pentax 24mm,

28/2.8=10m

in manual mode, reduce power by 1/16, i get 2.5m

so if i stand infront @ 5 position, fire off the flash @ this setting @ each position, I should be able to 5x me!!! back ground is black sky, so no problem.

is this theory correct?

:confused: :confused: Can't do this at night as my brains too cold! Will have to sleep over it.

Alternatively, can you set the 550ex like the 580ex to strobe at 1Hz and keep the shutter open for 5"? Leave the flash exposure to auto on E-TTL II. Got to be careful of the ground as it might be blown.

no lar, i mean capture myself as foreground for the star trail (1-2hr long exposure) lay.

denniskee said:
no lar, i mean capture myself as foreground for the star trail (1-2hr long exposure) lay.

photoshop ;p

btw, u all should not use flash when someone else is doing super long exposure

oops, ok, i will do it when i shoot alone. anyway, i from old school, so prefer to do it when shooting, not post process (actually truth is i very lousy with PS lar).

bring IC too because there are policeman station at the jetty, they will check your bags and IC.

btw, the jetty facing malaysia side so it is damn bright at night...

may be u can try the grass field outside my block, which is 3 LRT station away from punggol MRT. the direction is facing a river and small hill and thus super dark at moonless night...

denniskee said:

We could try and do the black card technique & flash, and ask everyone else if it's ok to hold a bit.

My thots: Setup your cam for LE shot, do the first pose, use the flash handheld by hitting the test fire button, repose and hit the fire button again. In between posing, someone can help put the black card infront of the lens. Will this work?

that is basically what i have in mind.

for the use of black card, my thought are as follow :

@ f2, 2sec = ev0 (ISO100)

if the scence is also ev0 (provided there is no light pollution in the direction where we point the camera)

my 24mm lens is f2.8, to hit ev0

f2.8, 4sec = ev0 (ISO100)

for me to move from position 1 to 2, will take around 1 sec or less (assume 1 sec)

f2.8, 1sec = -1.5ev

anyone know the star's ev (assume if is ev4, no basis, just for example)? assuming the ev difference is greater than 4 stop, we develope negative for the star trail at ev4, so i dont think the my movement will be captured.

pls correct me if my a/m assumption is wrong (as it is base on the ev difference is 4stop).

the recharge rate of the flash should be shorter than 1sec since power is @ 1/16. so no problem with using 1x 550ex.

It might work, but...

- harbor/jetty lights are quite bright, so your movement may appear
- have a feeling that you may be correctly exposed but the stars may not

BTW, what color clothes will you be wearing, it will impact, too. We could test shoot with a DSLR first and then do the final on film.

oh i see now, sorry, i have not been to the jetty area, only go the the cannel area to shoot) hence not light pollution there. so i base my assumption on the cannel area.

yup agree for the backlited area like the jetty ;) .

search internet just now, cant find the ev of the stars :dunno: .

guess will have to use the black card. however, if the jetty is lited, does that means i will have to use black card even if i dont intent to shoot myself?

jetty should be around ev4-ev5 = f2.8, 1/2sec or 1/4sec.

so does that means if doing long exposure of f2.8 for 2hr, i will need to mask the bottom scence ie jetty untill the less sec then remove the black card?

thanks.

denniskee said:
so does that means if doing long exposure of f2.8 for 2hr, i will need to mask the bottom scence ie jetty untill the less sec then remove the black card?

thanks.

Just had another idea: Do you have a graduated ND filter? Usually ppl use this in landscape shoots to stop down the sky, how about using it to stop down the jetty/harbor lights by putting the darker half at the bottom of the lens?

yes, i have a cokin graduating nd 1, but even than, i dont think it is enough to compensate the big diff. in contrast between the pier and sky.

denniskee said:
yes, i have a cokin graduating nd 1, but even than, i dont think it is enough to compensate the big diff. in contrast between the pier and sky.

Nevermind, I'll try to get a GND +2 and we'll see if anyone else has one, and stack them... hehehehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.