ibook or powerbook or others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kian

Oct 14, 2003
hi guys...

could you please enlighten me as in which should i get... ibook or powerbook?

or should i just get one of those Windows-based notebook?

thanks! :)

macs with G4 are better for graphics... the diff between the powerbook and the iBook is one is metal and one is plastic.. :p all depends if you are a pro or not.. if not, dont waste money on a powerbook.. get an iBook..

the new ibook is good enough for most purposes if you don't intend to edit movies big time and happy with just the combo drive, i.e. cannot burn DVD. You can order ibook with superdrive but I heard it doesn't perform well.

Powerbook is more hardy, my frd who is more than 85kg sat on my 12" PB and nothing happen. The aluminium case really protects it.

Mac will definitely give you more enjoyment than PC if you are planning to work on photos . The iPhoto software will help organise and display your photos easily.

I work with an Acer TravelMate 800 LCi laptop and its a brilliant thin and light to work with, especially when i'm out in the field shooting.. Long battery life (6 hrs!) while working on photoshop 7.0 with a secondary battery attached and it does wonders! Of course I'd like an Apple but I believe the PC laptop can still do the job..

Most people who buy the Powerbook do so because of the aluminium casing. Frankly speaking, it might be a better option over the iBook because the iBook's white plastic casing is not going to wear as well.

Of course...the cool factor of the Powerbook is undeniable. :D

Axion said:
the new ibook is good enough for most purposes if you don't intend to edit movies big time and happy with just the combo drive, i.e. cannot burn DVD. You can order ibook with superdrive but I heard it doesn't perform well.

Powerbook is more hardy, my frd who is more than 85kg sat on my 12" PB and nothing happen. The aluminium case really protects it.

Mac will definitely give you more enjoyment than PC if you are planning to work on photos . The iPhoto software will help organise and display your photos easily.

hi Axion,

wat do u mean by ibook with superdrive doesnt perform well?...

but will the PK be so easily have scratch makes like the ibook?

hear from u soon.

:)

nickmak said:
I work with an Acer TravelMate 800 LCi laptop and its a brilliant thin and light to work with, especially when i'm out in the field shooting.. Long battery life (6 hrs!) while working on photoshop 7.0 with a secondary battery attached and it does wonders! Of course I'd like an Apple but I believe the PC laptop can still do the job..

hi nickmak,

so are u a full-time photograher...

can i say that it doesnt really matter if its a mac or just a pc-based notebook...

kjmedora said:
macs with G4 are better for graphics... the diff between the powerbook and the iBook is one is metal and one is plastic.. :p all depends if you are a pro or not.. if not, dont waste money on a powerbook.. get an iBook..

hi kjmedora,

powerbook=alumin casing, more durable

ibook=plastic casing, easily get scratch marks...

i guess i would use it more for work...

so which are u using?...

PLRBEAR said:
Most people who buy the Powerbook do so because of the aluminium casing. Frankly speaking, it might be a better option over the iBook because the iBook's white plastic casing is not going to wear as well.

Of course...the cool factor of the Powerbook is undeniable. :D

hi plrbear,

what do u mean by ibook's casing is not going to wear as well...

does the casing turn yellowish after a while?..

Hilarion said:
If you do high intensive graphics or video, go for the Powerbook. If not, any PC based computer should do the job.

hi hilarion,

i went to the PC show and the salesperson was telling me that powerbook is alot more stable, doesnt hang like the normal pc.. true?

do u own a PK too?

kian said:
hi nickmak,

so are u a full-time photograher...

can i say that it doesnt really matter if its a mac or just a pc-based notebook...

Hi, actually that's what i was trying to put across... hehe.. :bsmilie: I'm not a full time photographer, i'm a student... problem is, I'm rarely at home! :bsmilie:

I can see many of the posts here are from people who don't have any experience in using the computers and just want to chime in to speculate.

here are some points to correct the wrong ones that I've picked up

1) the powerbook can be scratched although it is made of metal, mine is scratched up and there is nothing that can be done about it.

2) PC vs MAC in terms of OS wise is almost the same. I use OSX and I feel it is very stable, before I switched to MAC I was using win2k, and win2k was very stable for me. It all depends on what you do to your PC, if you practice proper house keeping it should work very well for you. Advantage of MAC is that there are some features in it's GUI that makes it work flow smoother....... in some ways.

3) In comparing price vs performance, PC will ALWAYS emerge better. MAC is more expensive and slower. If you need absolute speed, a PC laptop or a PC desktop will usually be better. Hence people who uses a computer for rendering videos should go for a PC.

my other observations,
I had a dell before I got my powerbook. The LCD on the dell is definately inferior to the powerbook. With the powerbook I can actually see more range of brightness. the dell is too contrasty to do accurate photo editing. (The dell I had was the 2nd most expensive model at that time.)

rueyloon,

what about the contrast of a mac to PC ? heard that in general macs run on gamma 1.8 or something while PCs on 2.0 ? something along that line.

and care to enlighten some of us here on why many working photographers and digital imaging artists use a mac over a PC ?

i'm more of a PC person btw :p

1) MAC gamma is 1.8 and PC's 2.2

so you see that the brightness is brighter on the Mac. Of coz you can configure it based on the settings you want.

2) As explained by Rueyloon, the system is stable (coz it's UNIX based) and dedicated to the task. Why the perference could be due to the fact that it gives you better color renditions closer to output. For a detailed workflow process of how a MAC deals with graphics you can check out www.apple.com (there's a experience sharing tab somewhere there) to read about it.

I'm getting one! :D

in my company there are four alu powerbook owners including me.

one powerbook is very 'worn' on the 'catch ledge' button.

one has scratched marks on his cover

one has scratched his lcd screen (me)

our books are battered to death.

one 'useless' factor to note, if you are using a Pee Cee (PC) laptop, any brand, no body gives you a darn. if you use a Mac, there is always someone who will have a second look at the user. its just that desirable machine, just like an expensive toy. :sweatsm:

if you understand why certain creative types (graphic/artist/designers etc) are more willing to pay for style and looks and certain types are so anal about what they use, its almost the same certain group who care and understand the importance of good design, form and function.

80% of my designers friends/ friends, ppl who work in the creative industry uses macs partly because of the design of the machine. we value aesthtics, the art of beauty of the machine. frankly i cannot find a 'nice' loooking laptop anywhere else.

lots can be said about the performance, which 99% of the ppl here will debate endlessly but i put another prespective from a mac user myself.

now, is there another prespective to take note off?

frankly between the g4ibooks and powerbooks, its just a fine line and i think both will do well for the user, aesthtics wise. for usage, depends largely on the user.

have a good day! :cool:

MAC laptops just have that certain sex appeal. Darn I need to get commission from the sales :D . BTW Kian, you might have spoken to me ;p

sequitur said:
rueyloon,

what about the contrast of a mac to PC ? heard that in general macs run on gamma 1.8 or something while PCs on 2.0 ? something along that line.

and care to enlighten some of us here on why many working photographers and digital imaging artists use a mac over a PC ?

i'm more of a PC person btw :p

I set mine to 2.2, that one is more of color management, I dunno y exactly it is this way, but I get more accurate outputs this way, ....... actually a higher gamme shows more contrast range... I read this somewhere on the net, you probably have to ask oeyvind think he might know more.

if you've met enough artists, designers, or photographers, you'll know most of them probably dress quite funky, and probably have different taste in stationaries (pen and paper etc.), hence their choice of Mac is probably due to the "arty" factor :)

look at it another way, PEE CEEs are known for being ALL OVER THE PLACE, MS is known as the evil empire. Mac is seen as the David in the battle against Goliath. Artists are usually non confirmist...... so guess you finish the sentence yourself :)

cheers :)

lol okay

i get the idea

but i'm more down-to-earth when it comes to price vs performance
hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.