IBM MicroDrive 1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff chen

Sep 1, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Use Things, Love People, Not Love Things, Use People

Hi, attention all Coolpix 5700 users, or others with Nikon Digicam. Has anyone ever used an IBM Microdrive (Compact Flash) with their digicam?

I was toying with the idea to buy a microdrive memory card but heard some stories that it tends to overheat when used in the camera and also causes the camera battery to deplete quickly. Any truth in that?

Pse share yr experience or if anyone knows anything, pse enlighten me.

Cheers!:dunno:

For info, I am currently using Sandisk 128MB and Twin Mos 128MB.

Thread moved to a more appropriate discussion forum. Good luck on getting your replies. :)

Originally posted by jeff chen

Hi, attention all Coolpix 5700 users, or others with Nikon Digicam. Has anyone ever used an IBM Microdrive (Compact Flash) with their digicam?

I was toying with the idea to buy a microdrive memory card but heard some stories that it tends to overheat when used in the camera and also causes the camera battery to deplete quickly. Any truth in that?

Pse share yr experience or if anyone knows anything, pse enlighten me.

Cheers!:dunno:

For info, I am currently using Sandisk 128MB and Twin Mos 128MB.

No problem with IBM microdrive. No overheating and doesn't feel any increase in battery depletion.

I've not used the Nikon 5700 but in general, the MD shouldn't have any heating problems with any camera.

Power consumption of the MD is higher than a CF, but I believe the added drain is negligible.

I have used the IBM microdrive in my Canon Powershot G1. No overheating nor battery depletion problem so far, though the microdrive does feel warm after some time of usage.

Originally posted by Lennier
Power consumption of the MD is higher than a CF, but I believe the added drain is negligible.

for a power-hungry camera like 5700, the effect might be great though.

lolz, shouldn't it be the *other* way around?

Since it's already power hungry (say it needs 2W each time u press the shutter), another 200mW (for the MD), only means 10% more juice.

But if the camera doesn't use up much juice (say 500mW for each shot), the 200mW would seem like alot.

*figures all fake btw, but you get the idea

what I'm thinking is.... if a camera can only take 80 shots, using the microdrive decreases it to 60 shots, then you have to change batteries very often.

on another which is more power efficient and can take 200 pics, decreasing it to 160 still is quite a decent amount.

Thks for all yr responses. It has been very helpful. I guess it all depends on what camera u are using with the MD then.

Anyone knows any other problems associated with using MD? I mean is it more fragile than CF?:thumbsup:

Fragility I think they are the same. But I think CF has longer durability than MD...personal experience :cool:

There are no moving parts in a CF card. The MD is definitely less susceptible to shock. Treat it properly though and it shouldn't give you any problems.

the MD is a mini tiny harddisk with moving parts. Drop it from chest height and you see what happens.

As for MS, SM, SD, CF, MMC, I've heard horror stories like forgetting to take it out of shirt and ended up with a 3-wash cycle + soak overnight and it still works after drying.

Read that from someone's personal experience from SPUG.

Originally posted by shawntim
the MD is a mini tiny harddisk with moving parts. Drop it from chest height and you see what happens.

I don't think it's that much a problem when you use it on a fragile device like the camera. The camera is probably the more fragile equipment and droping it from chest height could damage it's lens and or at least it's internal alignment. Since the camera is seldom dropped, the MD should be pretty safe!

that is of course you keep it in the camera at all times.. there are other uses for MD too.. for Pocket PC for instance.. or for transferring to external readers.. as long you handle the MD, there will be always chances when you'll be lun zhun..

Originally posted by shawntim
that is of course you keep it in the camera at all times.. there are other uses for MD too.. for Pocket PC for instance.. or for transferring to external readers.. as long you handle the MD, there will be always chances when you'll be lun zhun..

Well, if there is someone who is so clumsy, then I don't think his Pocket PC, digicam, etc will last long either...

Thanks for the interesting debate. To spark more debate, more questions on MicroDrive.

What is the read and write speed of the MD? Is it faster than CF? I plan to shoot Hi mode images in my CP 5700 and that means the file is gonna be pretty big. My current 128 MB CF takes approx 40 secs to process a shot in Hi mode. :devil:

Originally posted by jeff chen
Thanks for the interesting debate. To spark more debate, more questions on MicroDrive.

What is the read and write speed of the MD? Is it faster than CF? I plan to shoot Hi mode images in my CP 5700 and that means the file is gonna be pretty big. My current 128 MB CF takes approx 40 secs to process a shot in Hi mode. :devil:

Was looking at the Microdrive too, and I came across this article on the speed of the microdrive. Interesting reading, though the test was via a G2.

http://www.envynews.com/rev_print.php?ID=115

And this

http://www.robgalbraith.com/media/compactflash/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.