i wish this never happen to me. guys tell me what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

forevery photo

Worst nightmare I ever had- SLR camera drop, not from me but from someone I do not know.

i like natural photograhy, like brids and etc in the forests. so i got the setup the 50-500mm sigma lense to my camera and headed into the forest trail with out tripod. Took me before long to find someone who seem to have the same interest in photograhy, but he is more to micro photograhy, old and retire person.

before long, he saw a bird in the distance, and told me. this where it begain, the bird was block by a few branches, so i put the camera on a wood benches and carefully move in. within reaching distance. i request him to pass me my camera. short distance less then a meter, but very good view of the brids itself. i turn back my head and saw his movement in horror. first- he pick up the cam, about 2 cm from the bench. second i heard the brid fly off. third- he attempt to put back the camera without looking, and the camera drop to the wood ground.

and it break from the lense mounting. Not even saying sorry, he chance his topic to buying a second hand model of a different brand.

i told him, fine maybe he could pay part of the cost for a second hand body. and he just turn me down. he add on, " i just touch the camera and it drop, and is not my problem and i amd just doing a favor." very irresponsible behavior for the photograher, and formore he is very senior(age) to any one. and may i ask who will be so blur as in, someone handing over a 3 kg plus items without looking back at the total action and event.

i am not here to spam anyone, but look at his action that tell the word-

look at the way he speak to me before and after. before that, he was saying about how i should take the photo i want. and advise me to stick to what i have till i master that body and lense. and after, he is promoting me to buy other brand of camera and not back to the old body. worst he said, he will not have gone down to the ground to take the photo because you will make noise and get the bird to set off. "sience is golden in forest" everyone should know. and yet he was talking so loudly during this event.

so guys any advice and commen for me. At least, my heart pain is for a lesson for everyone.

"photograhy is a very expensive hobbies, before you know it. you are spending out more then you through. so trust only you and yourself, even if on the road."

lense and camera body. camera is gone for good. i hope there is nothing wrong with the lense.

and what should be my correct action for him. i am more then happy to tell everyone who he was, since he gave me his name card. the joker part is, do not tell me that, he do even know how to hold up the camera.

there are sentence make by him, which i wanted to share with you guys. unless the club adm allow me too.

you registered just for this?

i mean yeah, your camera is spoilt, but i don't really understand what's going on, are you telling me you just let a stranger fool around with your camera?

wah... you dun reveal the person here la... dun expose his name.

but send me his nick ? i curious. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Sad to hear about your camera/lens... I think there is nothing you could do, if he had touched your camera without your permission and broke it, you could at least request for part payment or repairs.

But in this case, he did it at your request and it fell/broke... accidents do happen.

Just my 2 cents.

../azul123

no- he is a photograher himself i put the camera down and move to a position where i could see the brid and ask him to pass me my camera. and that is how it happen. yar somehow tell people what i begin through.

i do not know what i should do with this person. he should not teach anyone.

Sad to hear about your camera/lens... I think there is nothing you could do, if he had touched your camera without your permission and broke it, you could at least request for part payment or repairs.

But in this case, he did it at your request and it fell/broke... accidents do happen.

Just my 2 cents.

../azul123

true la... but if someone ask you to help him/her/shim to carry the camera... and u dropped it.... you are still partly responsible for it. IMHO..

no- he is a photograher himself i put the camera down and move to a position where i could see the brid and ask him to pass me my camera. and that is how it happen. yar somehow tell people what i begin through.

hias. when u move. u move WITH your camera..... and really..50-500 isnt big. its really small..... i've seen people lugging 500mm into forests....

hias. when u move. u move WITH your camera..... and really..50-500 isnt big. its really small..... i've seen people lugging 500mm into forests....

by the way, has anyone broke the mounting before? as in drop or something like that? and can that 50-500 take the drop ?

cannot visualise...

able to make it more interactive? lol...

btw, you should have held on to the camera with your life if its so dear... imagine you go overseas, pass your camera to a unknown foreigner to take your portrait, and he makes off with it... at least tis guy never drop and run...

i think you have to take some responsibility too since you did ask him to pass you the camera. sad lah..but such things do happen.

i think the bird also have to share the blame since it caused both of you to be distracted. :think:

by the way, has anyone broke the mounting before? as in drop or something like that? and can that 50-500 take the drop ?

well.... heard people replacing mounts before, as in changing for a new one. but havent heard any one breaking one.
lols

well... let me guess. anything wrong with ur camera too ? (as in the mounting ? ) since the mounting for the lens is damaged?

well.... heard people replacing mounts before, as in changing for a new one. but havent heard any one breaking one.
lols

well... let me guess. anything wrong with ur camera too ? (as in the mounting ? ) since the mounting for the lens is damaged?

actually happen before, aka mount rip...

esp when using a heavy lens on a consumer body... and then holding it by the camera body instead of the lens collar.

My take is: It's 50-50.

You put your camera down, and later asked him to pass it to you - you allowed him to touch it, so that's your 50% of responsibility.

He did not put it back down carefully enough, and it dropped, causing major damage. That's his 50%.

As mentioned, accidents do happen, and very often, you will find that the the other party touching the piece of equipment will try to 'siamz' all the blame and either push it to someone or something else, or even back to you. Very common in SG or Asia.

This one both side can argue all day and night won't be solved one. You have to try to find some way to appeal to his sense of fairness, or find ways to use pressure/embarassement tactics if you want compensation. But you might find that the emotional heartache and mental distress if you 'go to war' is not worth it, because chances are - the other party will resist forever.

Like I said, it sounds very much 50-50 to me, and also sounds like a genuine accident.

If you feel like openly listing his details, be careful because there may be come-backs - he can say you are defaming and slandering his name / company. You have to bear in mind - everything in this case is 'I say you say' because there was no video evidence or witnesses. Of course, he will say it's not his fault.

Is he a member of any photographic society/club or forum?

As for his 'other sentences', I don't see any reason why you can't post them up if it helps your case. but if it's only to attack his character (towards the end of your post, it started to sound like you were interested in making him look bad BTW), then it might back-fire on you.

If you do want to share a caution with other members so that in future they will siamz when they see this gentleman, you could put up a physical description of him and how he dresses, the name and description of equipment and accessories he uses, as well as where he hangs out ... or offer to PM members who ask, his name card details.

Perhaps other more 'legally inclined' members could offer their advise, expecially what options are available to you.

humm... look like the camera mouting is design to break off (the metal part). this is to save both the lense and the camera body.

let say if it is design not to break off, i think the body will take force impact. it is a nice design i guess.

make it a worst case, u mount a 400mm lense and breaking design is on the lense mounting. haha. i think i can cry and dump myself into the sea.

I empathize with your heart pain. Unfortunately, you have to accept the full responsibility.

No stranger in his right mind will pay for it. You allowed someone you didn't know to handle your cam, anything happened naturally the owner has to bear the cost. Life seems unfair at your side but that's the reality.

Whether the old man was careless in handling cos it wasn't his camera or bcos he intentionally dropped it is not the issue.

Take the pain, move one, and treat it as an expensive lesson learnt! People may be friendly and all that, but there's a line to be drawn when asking someone to handle your expensive equipment. That's why I am paranoid about letting strangers, even friends touch my expensive stuffs or those I value. They can call me selfish, paranoid, etc etc I don't care.

It's always easy to call people names when it's not your own valuable things you're
handling. But when they ruin your expensive stuffs, all your so called "friends" will run away and disclaim any responsibility.

Feel sorry for yr loss, u may want to consider a metal mount for camera and lens in future, they are supposed to be stronger than plastic mount, especially u are interested in outdoor nature photography.

Sorry for OT..just curious what brand and model is ur camera and lens? :)

d70s and 50-500mm sigma.

true enough. but i guess this type of person. something will turn back on him.

He just know you and there is not reason he wants to break your camera.

and i am guessing you got a regular nick here before? why just register a new nick for it if you think he is fully responsible?

Just an accident i think, can the mount be replaced and fixed?

d70s and 50-500mm sigma.

true enough. but i guess this type of person. something will turn back on him.

ok..this is wat i think..
Send in to service center for servicing quote..U pay 70% (u should be responsible for ur own gears), he pay 30% (for being careless)...wat u think? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.