I will never buy another Hewlett Packard (HP) product again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have come to regard electronic devices as disposable items. After a very short time, there will be something twice as good at half the price. If the item is still working, I continue to use it (I have a working Dell Axim from 2001). If it fails within the warranty period, I will get it repaired. If the warranty has expired, I will try to repair it myself, or replace it.

I think it's fair to levy a charge for inspecting an item, because that takes time and labour. Try getting a doctor to check you for free before prescribing medicine, or a lawyer to give you free advice before acting for you. Same thing. I consider that the repair facility exists for items under warranty. Repairing items out of warranty is a service offered grudgingly. Do note that it does cost money to stock spare parts for old inventory. Does not make sense to do so for too long.

I find the Service Centres in Singapore pretty good, and have had good experiences with Canon, Sigma (this was out of warranty, and they had to import a part from Japan), Sony, Samsung, Fuji Xerox and Acer. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe I'm patient, maybe I just know a little about transactional analysis.

Well said there.

Consumers products these days are not designed to last. Not much longer than the warranty period. This is especially so for those who are heavy users when the product is meant for domestic use, that is to say light use. In this case, those all-in-one printers for home use are for the occasional prints once in a few days. Not daily heavy duty printing la.

If you're a heavy user, better buy those that are designed for commercial use.

Warranty - if you're a heavy user, it might be good to go for extended warranty like 3 to 5years to have the peace of mind and got to pay the price for it. IMO, it is worth to pay. Unless you prefer to buy a new gear every now and then.

Service centres - well, they are just another cost centre - no FOC service la.

My cousin used to work for a company sell el cheapo fans, rice cookers, home phones etc. They would rather give you a 1-2-1 exchange than to repair during the 1year warranty. Cost less than to keep spare parts, train technicians to do the repair. Guess what, hardly anyone come back with a faulty $25 stand-fan - reason, cost you $5 taxi fare to go, another $5 to return and your time! Even if you drive, the time you spend to and fro and collect and the parking there. So, just thow the fan even if it is within warranty, if you got ***luck!

my $3.6k HP notbook RIP after 1yr & few days :angry:
it set to countdown ..... :hung: afer 1yr

My almost 5 years old HP laptop ($3k+ back then) is still functioning well until now, less the LCD that went kaput few months ago. Got it replaced with a used LCD screen and now back to normal.

don't think should gauge by high old the printer is but how many page it had print. e.g.maybe after 50k pages of continous printing before failure. anyway what is the problem with your printer?

Hi guys,

The good news.

Mr Latiff from Hewlett Packard’s customer servicing noticed this post and contacted me. He was very sympathetic and after hearing my situation, granted that my options were limited and agreed that he would not recommend getting a remanufactured faulty set as my machine was still partially working. He said he would consult with higher management and call me back.

I guess if you make enough noise, someone is bound to notice.

The bad news.

After consultation with higher management, he regretted to inform me that the Hewlett Packard policy still stands and even though he would not recommend me getting a remanufactured set, it was the only thing he could offer. He did however offer me a whole two more months warranty on a remanufactured faulty set.

* I use the term “remanufactured faulty set” because I called Hewlett Packard’s customer service a few times to find out more about the remanufactured faulty sets and that was the term they had conveyed to me. Yes it was a bit hard listening to the Indian accented English, which was why I rang a couple of times to make sure.

I urge anyone and everyone with any Hewlett Packard customer related problems to ring Mr Latiff at 65 6 727 6772. Even though he was unable to help me in any way, every case is different; he might be able to help you.

Based on the Straits Times front page article in the HOME section on Monday April, 21, it is surprising to see that only 6% of the 12 000 people polled would actually make a formal complaint.

Even though Hewlett Packard is trying to sweep me under the rug and hoping that I stop making any more noise, I am glad I decided not to sit back and tried to stand up for my consumer rights. And even though there was no material gain, the personal gratification is suffice for now.

In view of public sharing, I am definitely adding my comments to the Straits Times forum and would be most happy to be interviewed should there be a follow up article.

On a parting note, I guess life is about trial and error. Even though in my family, we own two HP desktops, two HP printing machines, one Compaq laptop, one Hp handheld, I am taking my money somewhere.

My family members and I will never buy another Hewlett Packard product in our lives and I strongly discourage anyone from doing so.

HP - Hopeless Product? :bsmilie:

DO NOT get the remanufactured set. i had a same experience with you. got a officejet 6110 for a bit more than a year. it broke down. HP said they don't repair...and i stupidly paid $200 for a remanufactured set.

the remanufactured set that i got had a FAULTY fax system when i tested it the moment i got home.

okay never mind. i exhcanged for another remanufactured set. a few months later after the abysmal 3 mth warranty period was over, it broke down. couldn't feed paper in.

bit my lips, sold it to karang guni for $10.

bought a canon MX700 at the march IT show for $349. extended my warranty to 3.5 years in total from Canon for just $50. performs well, fast scanning, printing, faxing. and it's quiet too.

i recently was asked by my uncle to buy a laser all in one for him. no prizes for guessing that i didn't even bother considering HP. went to get a samsung with 3 year ON SITE warranty as compared to the 1 year HP gives.

so my advice: ditch HP. sell the machine to karang guni. go get urself something else with a long warranty.

My experience with HP has nothing much to do with photography but I think I should share with you guys.

My HP laptop broke down one day (I purchased it only about 9 moths before it went dumb), so I had to sent it for repair. 3 days after sending it in, I recieved a call to pick it up. I went to HP to pick it up. While I was there, I turned my laptop on to check. After 15 mins, my OS keep telling me that there is some problem with the hardware and it did not run. I complaint with the guy. They took my laptop back in and told me to wait for 5 mins while they were fixing the OS.
I had waited for 20 mins before a dumbshit (pardon my French!) went out and told me that my OS was corrupted and they had to format my HDD :bigeyes: and those dumbshits at HP did not offer data back-up service :thumbsd:. After thinking for a while my HDD and decided that my data was recoverable (although it was a pain in the ass to get all of em' back), I told them to format or whatever my HDD.
The next day, I came back to pick up my laptop. It was running but there were 2 scratches on the top plus a chip on the side (obviouly my laptop was banged to somewhere). Honestly, what kind of stupid customer service that after replacing the motherboard corrupted my OS, formatted my HDD and scratched my laptop :thumbsd:
There was nothing wrong with the guys in the counter. Those who do the repairing are dumbshits.

I swear I will NEVER ever buy anything from HP again.

My experience with HP has nothing much to do with photography but I think I should share with you guys.

My HP laptop broke down one day (I purchased it only about 9 moths before it went dumb), so I had to sent it for repair. 3 days after sending it in, I recieved a call to pick it up. I went to HP to pick it up. While I was there, I turned my laptop on to check. After 15 mins, my OS keep telling me that there is some problem with the hardware and it did not run. I complaint with the guy. They took my laptop back in and told me to wait for 5 mins while they were fixing the OS.
I had waited for 20 mins before a dumbshit (pardon my French!) went out and told me that my OS was corrupted and they had to format my HDD :bigeyes: and those dumbshits at HP did not offer data back-up service :thumbsd:. After thinking for a while my HDD and decided that my data was recoverable (although it was a pain in the ass to get all of em' back), I told them to format or whatever my HDD.
The next day, I came back to pick up my laptop. It was running but there were 2 scratches on the top plus a chip on the side (obviouly my laptop was banged to somewhere). Honestly, what kind of stupid customer service that after replacing the motherboard corrupted my OS, formatted my HDD and scratched my laptop :thumbsd:
There was nothing wrong with the guys in the counter. Those who do the repairing are dumbshits.

I swear I will NEVER ever buy anything from HP again.

hehe....hope mr latiff is reading this. ;p

OMG - seems HP really have a Big Issue here with proving Good Aftersales Customer Services .....(I will have to tell me wify - she does knows alot of people in HP Singapore, China & USA (all the Big Bossess) .............and all the Computer companies in Singapore...eg Dell, Acer, Fujitsu, HP, Bell,eMachine, Gateway etc etc including Microsoft - She is in this Industry for more than 10 years and knows all the ODM Manufacturer for computers in the world .....must complain to her. hehehehehe !

OMG - seems HP really have a Big Issue here with proving Good Aftersales Customer Services .....(I will have to tell me wify - she does knows alot of people in HP Singapore, China & USA (all the Big Bossess) .............and all the Computer companies in Singapore...eg Dell, Acer, Fujitsu, HP, Bell,eMachine, Gateway etc etc including Microsoft - She is in this Industry for more than 10 years and knows all the ODM Manufacturer for computers in the world .....must complain to her. hehehehehe !

It's not only HP, many other companies have the same problem. Anyway sorry threadstarter to hijack your thread abit. Anyone know where to repair a Hitachi Microdrive? Hitachi Singapore tell me Hitachi don't make microdrive....... when the product in my hand has their logo on it.

It's not only HP, many other companies have the same problem. Anyway sorry threadstarter to hijack your thread abit. Anyone know where to repair a Hitachi Microdrive? Hitachi Singapore tell me Hitachi don't make microdrive....... when the product in my hand has their logo on it.

try hitachi global storage technologies

I have had similar problem like TS's, but with EPSON.

I've got tons of problem after getting a $148 3-in-1 printer from PC Show.

After making severals complains from time to time, and after they came on-site to make testings and exchanges, EPSON finally got tired of the problems I face, they exchange a $459 Multi-Function printer for me WITHOUT me paying extra cents.

:gbounce:

To conclude, every brand has its fair share of good reviews and complaints. Therefore, don't buy any more printer. Use hand to write coz it'll nv break down :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Hand cannot write leh, need a pen, pen can fail also!! :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.