I want to learn to take insect macro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sion said:
Some macro shooters here mentioned about using tripods for insect photography. Wouldn't an insect will fly away liao after you set up the tripod with the disturbance of movement and noise?

I think I read something in CS about a special way of using the tripods to shoot insects.

I think the tread was posted by Sulhan, one of the Macro Gurus here. His illustration uses a monopod.

Funny things is that some insects are not scared of us at all. There was once I accidently spoilt a nice spider web while setting up my tripod. wasted a good subject. (my apologies to the spider)

Sion said:
Some macro shooters here mentioned about using tripods for insect photography. Wouldn't an insect will fly away liao after you set up the tripod with the disturbance of movement and noise?

I think I read something in CS about a special way of using the tripods to shoot insects.

Normally one would set up the tripod first before going to shoot.

Snoweagle said:
Normally one would set up the tripod first before going to shoot.

Not true...know-how macro shooters will know that you always have to nudge your tripod a little here and there to alter the composition or to gain a slightly less or more mag rate. I do that all the time and would worship the macro shooter who can place the tripod down and say that is where it will be....I believe that is what Sion meant.

ywh said:
Not true...know-how macro shooters will know that you always have to nudge your tripod a little here and there to alter the composition or to gain a slightly less or more mag rate. I do that all the time and would worship the macro shooter who can place the tripod down and say that is where it will be....I believe that is what Sion meant.

I always set up my tripod 1st before i shoot. All i need to adjust is the centre column and ballhead angle and that's it. Works fine everytime for me.

Snoweagle said:
I always set up my tripod 1st before i shoot. All i need to adjust is the centre column and ballhead angle and that's it. Works fine everytime for me.

Wow. I will need to pratice on this. Even with my focusing rail attached, I sometimes still have to move a bit here and there, Without it, I will sure need to move a lot and thats the reason why I seldom use tripod.

ywh said:
Correct. But it also depends on the subject you want to shoot. Some insects, especially non-winged ones like spiders and such, normally do stay put at a certain location, long enuff for you to setup your tripod for the shot. For macro, I believe that positioning and composition is very important. A lot of time is spent on fine tuning your gear to get the composition you want. A slight nudge or lower/raise your tripod legs would sometimes get a you a dramatically altered scene.

For winged insects, like butts and dragonflies, they are generally tougher to shoot, a lot of patience and skill is required to approach them, and usually a tripod is not applicable here, since its rather cumbersome and due to its size more possibility to scare away the insect. Stealth and careful movement is the key here. You cannot begin to imagine the amount of sweat, cursing, strained muscles and cramped neck just to get near to these flighty insects. :sweatsm: And not yet even get the shot! But when you get the shot you want the satisfaction is really great.

For newbies to macro photography, recommend you to read this book by famed nature photographer, John Shaw, Closeups in Nature. Superb book which goes into technical details and also great photographs. Available at Borders bookstore for about $40 odd. Highly recommended. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dRebelXT said:
i got my Tamron 90mm at $590 from John 3.16. thinking about getting which
teleconverter to extend to 180mm at a light weight.

As for me, got my Tamron 90mm Macro Di (Nikon mouth) from TK @ $567 on last Tuesday, not a bad price I would say! :thumbsup:

DeSwitch said:
Wow. I will need to pratice on this. Even with my focusing rail attached, I sometimes still have to move a bit here and there, Without it, I will sure need to move a lot and thats the reason why I seldom use tripod.

I never use the rail...it's either my tripod or handheld hehe..

OT a bit.Should we use dead insect for training purpose? At least they dont fly away. How do you guys enlarge the viewfinder?

you can but don't post or you might kena flame by the nature ppl

remember not to wear bright colours or white
browns or drab greens are best
try to blend in with the surroundings

bright colours normally means danger

Garion said:
Correct. But it also depends on the subject you want to shoot. Some insects, especially non-winged ones like spiders and such, normally do stay put at a certain location, long enuff for you to setup your tripod for the shot. For macro, I believe that positioning and composition is very important. A lot of time is spent on fine tuning your gear to get the composition you want. A slight nudge or lower/raise your tripod legs would sometimes get a you a dramatically altered scene.

For winged insects, like butts and dragonflies, they are generally tougher to shoot, a lot of patience and skill is required to approach them, and usually a tripod is not applicable here, since its rather cumbersome and due to its size more possibility to scare away the insect. Stealth and careful movement is the key here. You cannot begin to imagine the amount of sweat, cursing, strained muscles and cramped neck just to get near to these flighty insects. :sweatsm: And not yet even get the shot! But when you get the shot you want the satisfaction is really great.

I agree with you Garion but my point was if "there was a need to use a tripod", there is rarely (or never!) a case where the photographer will not nudge it to make minor changes. Gee, I bet you even do that for birds!

Butts and DFs are quick and alert but that also depends on the time of the day in which they are more active when the sun comes up.

ortega said:
you can but don't post or you might kena flame by the nature ppl

remember not to wear bright colours or white
browns or drab greens are best
try to blend in with the surroundings

bright colours normally means danger

maybe can consider wearing no. 4? but dunno if will kenna fine?

DeSwitch said:
OT a bit.Should we use dead insect for training purpose? At least they dont fly away. How do you guys enlarge the viewfinder?

Then might as well take other things. The main idea is to take live insects so it's more challenging.

Snoweagle said:
Then might as well take other things. The main idea is to take live insects so it's more challenging.

I mean for training lah. Because in real life, dont have much chance to make adjustment on camera's settings etc. For me, I need to train on hands lor. Seriously thinking to do that but where to find a dead dragonfly of Butterfly. (I dont want to catch one to kill it. its cruel and I'm a nature lover)

Otega, sure wont post one and I'm sure will get lot of Flame.:bsmilie: Wish I could find a cocoon to pratice, at least it will not move or fly.

DeSwitch said:
I mean for training lah. Because in real life, dont have much chance to make adjustment on camera's settings etc. For me, I need to train on hands lor. Seriously thinking to do that but where to find a dead dragonfly of Butterfly. (I dont want to catch one to kill it. its cruel and I'm a nature lover)

Otega, sure wont post one and I'm sure will get lot of Flame.:bsmilie: Wish I could find a cocoon to pratice, at least it will not move or fly.

But if take dead insects like very gross :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.