I want to get a TLR to try it out. Which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
As above.

I want to get a good and cheap TLR to try it out.

Any recommendations? And is Lubitel good?

For availability wise, if it's hard to get from SG, I can get it from ebay..

Hi,

If you want cheap, you can try a Seagull. Probably around $200-$300+.

However, if you dont mind forking out a little more you could try a Rolleicord. Maybe around $500+.The built quality is much better.

Check out the following review on Rollei TLRs.

http://www.photo.net/rollei/tlr

dreamseeker said:
Hi,

If you want cheap, you can try a Seagull. Probably around $200-$300+.

However, if you dont mind forking out a little more you could try a Rolleicord. Maybe around $500+.The built quality is much better.

Check out the following review on Rollei TLRs.

http://www.photo.net/rollei/tlr

Thanks!

but i'm intending to spend quite little on it, perhaps just a little more than a hundred that's all... :) it's just for trying out phase, and if i really like it, i'll sell it and buy a better TLR.

well, if you wish, you can try out my dust-coated Rolleiflex TLR which is sitting pretty on my shelf right now.

It is FOC provided that you give her a real workout within respectable means....

PM me if you are interested...

Rolleiflex??????

For sure he will get hook on and spend more $$$ if he shoot slides!!!

jasphotography said:
well, if you wish, you can try out my dust-coated Rolleiflex TLR which is sitting pretty on my shelf right now.

It is FOC provided that you give her a real workout within respectable means....

PM me if you are interested...

dreamseeker said:
Rolleiflex??????

For sure he will get hook on and spend more $$$ if he shoot slides!!!

Yalah, that is the point! Get him hooked to buy my Rolleiflex *evil evil* :bsmilie:

erks..
so evil...

but Jas, i don't mind getting it from you and play for a while..
but as it's my very first venture into TLR, u must give me a 10min course on how to use it.. hehe ;)

behyx said:
erks..
so evil...

but Jas, i don't mind getting it from you and play for a while..
but as it's my very first venture into TLR, u must give me a 10min course on how to use it.. hehe ;)

ok, the use of the TLR is free but the 10min course is chargeable! ... and I don't think 10min is enough you know ;p :angel:

to be honest, despite having extensively tried on the Mamiya TLR, I have yet to work this sweet Rolleiflex out. Everything clicks as it should though. Also have the Rolleikin 35mm film adapter if you want to use 35mm film on this 120 format TLR.

behyx, i thot sniperD is selling his lubitel 166U? dats a great little and old-fashioned TLR to try. focusing is a bit on the tricky side, and try to shoot with a tripod. works best at f8 or f11. but, even when slightly out of focused, the shots are real nice. :D

bought mine off another CSer for $80. i think TCW is also selling some damn old seagulls for a song. and i really mean damn old and beat-up saegulls.... :bsmilie:

HA HA!!

How can you let the Rolleiflex collect dust man?

behyx,

You should try out the Rolleiflex TLR and then you will know why it has such good reviews. And if you shoot negs, try print out 1 or 2 prints to 8R size and you will be surprised if you are new to medium format.

I don't think you should get beat-up Seagulls as some of them have poor internal construction. Also, you have to check that the lens alignment plane is not out by test shots as what you focus on may not be what you get.

Regards.

jasphotography said:
Yalah, that is the point! Get him hooked to buy my Rolleiflex *evil evil* :bsmilie:

Thanks.. but SniperD reserve it for somebody else already..

but if i want to get lubitel 166U, i can get from ebay, cheaper.

jas, i will contact u probably this weekend or next, to get it from u ;) :)

behyx said:
Thanks.. but SniperD reserve it for somebody else already..

but if i want to get lubitel 166U, i can get from ebay, cheaper.

jas, i will contact u probably this weekend or next, to get it from u ;) :)

Forget the Lubitels - they are pretty crappy in the quality department! Lightleaks are usually the norm unless you are lucky.

BUY SEAGULL saw the picture before good cheap....can try camera workshop selling one with chinese wording at 65 i saw 2 day ago con seen 80% with filter n manual

Seagull is good value for money. Well built for the price and it has got great "tessar" quality len. Cost around $200 and upward

Lubitel-I used to think that its crap for quality, but after trying it out, I was proven wrong, as the pictures output were amazingly sharp and well exposed. T22 len f4.5 is optimally designed and when used at f8-11 will tend to produce very sharp pictures. I must say focusing on the lubitel is not as easy as the Seagull ( using split image) though. External quality is either plastic or bakelite depending on the models which are acceptable. Len is of course standard T22 across all models. For the price of around $100, this is more affordable as an entry level TLR.

My personal experience using these two made.

Tetrode said:
Forget the Lubitels - they are pretty crappy in the quality department! Lightleaks are usually the norm unless you are lucky.

actually, tetrode, i'm using a lubitell 166U now. there's a way to get round this. on most forum boards overseas, they recommend to tape strips of black velvet ard the edges of the back plate. for me, i just gaffer-taped the edges. works just fine.

as LCT said, the pics are sharp at f8-11. the best pics are taken outdoors. suggestion from most forum boards is to shoot using a tripod. i've tried, and it does work. besides, for under $100, u get a very good cam to practice MF photography! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.