i want to colour!

Status
Not open for further replies.

simplicity_

Jul 20, 2004
CCK
following comments from the Color Pencil thread, i retook my colour pencils today and here is the result.

DSC_53230010.jpg

C&C are very much welcomed and appreciated. :)

Hey...this is much better perspective and I like it. Cheers

May I add my humble opinion but a deeper DOF would be nicer, having all the tips of the colour pencils sharp. I might work a little better.

Very nice! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Maybe you can try a version when the pencils are all sharpened? :think:

E500: thanks! :D still learning.. hahaha.

plastic: ahh alright. a deeper depth of field means smaller aperture right? (f/2.8?) i shot this at f/5 cuz somehow those at f/2.8 came out alittle soft. :) but i will retry again! hahaha.

hobbesyeo: hahah yeah, lazy to sharpen my pencils.. :sweat:

DSC_54370018.jpg

i reshot this again just now... 3times i've shot my pencils. wahahaha. is it better?

simplicity_ said:
E500: thanks! :D still learning.. hahaha.

plastic: ahh alright. a deeper depth of field means smaller aperture right? (f/2.8?) i shot this at f/5 cuz somehow those at f/2.8 came out alittle soft. :) but i will retry again! hahaha.

hobbesyeo: hahah yeah, lazy to sharpen my pencils.. :sweat:

For deeper depth of field, you should try to shoot with a smaller aperture which means a bigger f/stop number maybe f5.6 at least. Unless you're shooting with a prime lens, f2.8 usually a bit softer. As a general rule, I believe most lens perform better in terms of sharpness when stopped down a few stops from the maximum aperture.

BTW I liked them better when they were not sharpened:devil: :bsmilie:

eel said:
For deeper depth of field, you should try to shoot with a smaller aperture which means a bigger f/stop number maybe f5.6 at least. Unless you're shooting with a prime lens, f2.8 usually a bit softer. As a general rule, I believe most lens perform better in terms of sharpness when stopped down a few stops from the maximum aperture.

BTW I liked them better when they were not sharpened:devil: :bsmilie:
oic.. from what i know, zoom lenses perform best at the middle aperture (f/5.6 ?).. im using a 28-70mm. mmm. im tired of reshooting this set of pencils. wahaha. change to crayons liao.

hahahah, aiyah! i just wasted 15mins sitting infront of the tv to sharpen them... lol.

To me the photo lacks focus, theres a lot of things going on and my eyes can't find a place to rest on. Try making a single pencil/colour stand out instead to have a main focal point.

U cant please everyone, dude..

yeah i have to agree wif nod3....these two shots face the same prob as wat i mentioned earlier...perhaps a simpler composition...

youmight want to try this:

find one colour that will stand out the best and use it for the main focus. re-arrange the coloured pencils in symmetry circular spiral position. shoot in shallow DOF with the best coloured pencil in focus while the rest in bokeh in a 1/3 rule. the pencils should fill 4/5 of the frame. playing around with lighting if you have the equipment.

nod3 & gerald: noted!

nmss_2: will try what you've said and i'll probably post the results up again yeah..

:bsmilie: 4th time liaoz...

Hi Simplicity, I tot that is a beautiful shot! Your first shot, just add a little bit more dof, resting the focal point somewhere on the lower right 1/3 and find a unique colour, the only one in the group to bring to focus. Perhaps that particular one could be the only sharpen one amongst them all.

Great shot ! :thumbsup:

btw did Autocratic speak to ya recently?

Why not place a brush among the pencils? Better still, those sable make up blusher brush. That would have a focal point. The other pic you took is a little better, but the lighting was not as good as the previous picture. Just my 2 cents.

Leinaj said:
Hi Simplicity, I tot that is a beautiful shot! Your first shot, just add a little bit more dof, resting the focal point somewhere on the lower right 1/3 and find a unique colour, the only one in the group to bring to focus. Perhaps that particular one could be the only sharpen one amongst them all.

Great shot ! :thumbsup:

btw did Autocratic speak to ya recently?
yes he did! hahahah and i just realised that this is such a small world... well, i will be seeing you this sunday right? :p

and thanks for your comments! ^^

plastic said:
Why not place a brush among the pencils? Better still, those sable make up blusher brush. That would have a focal point. The other pic you took is a little better, but the lighting was not as good as the previous picture. Just my 2 cents.
eh... i dont have a blusher brush, paint brush?

mmm, you were refering to the 2nd pic? i used flash cuz it was at night so tried to bounce it around but abit hard to hold cam and the white card at the same time. :sweat: the first one (on top of this thread) was taken with lotsa natural light.. my mini makeshift studio is beside the window with good light.. heh.

simplicity_ said:
eh... i dont have a blusher brush, paint brush?

mmm, you were refering to the 2nd pic? i used flash cuz it was at night so tried to bounce it around but abit hard to hold cam and the white card at the same time. :sweat: the first one (on top of this thread) was taken with lotsa natural light.. my mini makeshift studio is beside the window with good light.. heh.

Natural light... so I see... that is the best lighting source from nature...

Try using a brush or an object to create a point of focus on the subject. It would then look really interesting... for example, having a cat coming into the picture from the top right hand corner and sniffing at the colour pencils, that would be very nice. On one side, there are the lines, (colour pencils) and the other, a cat... can you imagine that? Or maybe the tiny hands of a baby reaching out for the pencils... something like that... experiment. That is the key...

OK, my imagination is running wide now...

Status
Not open for further replies.