I Want To Break Fast

cannedpineapples

Jul 25, 2011
i_want_to_break_fast.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Framing of the otah-otah; technical (how to get focus working properly at large apertures- do you just try to reposition the subject so all parts of it are about the same distance from the camera?).

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Exploring line and colour. Also hope to convey the feeling I felt (that this would be delicious. I was sitting by a roadside stall in KL, and couldn't eat because I had to wait for sundown for those around me to break fast).

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
My trusty 20mm/f1.7 shot wide open. I was waiting to break fast, feeling hungry, and the interplay of colours between the pink plastic bag, the white newspaper, and the green otah really caught my eye. Talk about feasting on colors!

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
The focus is somewhat off, I think. If the entire front otah had been in focus this would have worked far better. But I really like the colours, and the otah makes for a very strong diagonal line across the frame.

Hi... This is a nice pic if it is abstract type of theme. I could not see that it is otah if i did not read your description. Maybe you can include the meat in the frame?

nice lines and colours.

Yummy lol.

Thanks. It's totally meant to be abstract ;)

Actually, including the meat would have taken away from the clean colours here, in my opinion. But I can certainly see how it can add to the content (more clearly marking it as 'food').

its quite ironic because I was looking for canned pineapples in the image and didn't find it. sometimes u dun need to put ur name on everything...

its quite ironic because I was looking for canned pineapples in the image and didn't find it. sometimes u dun need to put ur name on everything...

Thanks! LOL. Good idea. Maybe I should use that space to put the titles of my images.. Never thought of that before.

you eat otah for breakfast one?

Nice abstract, but I can't see any relation to your title. It's not even obvious that it is otah here, just some brownish leaf.
Maybe landscape orientation would help here.

Nice abstract, but I can't see any relation to your title. It's not even obvious that it is otah here, just some brownish leaf.
Maybe landscape orientation would help here.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did take a landscape too, but then the focus (ironically) was too much on the Otah, and less on the pure colors and lines that I wanted to explore. However yours is not the first comment on this, so obviously there's something I can improve on here.

Same comment as others, nice abstract and cannot see connection with title.For me, there are 2 distractions, the background and the paper. A landscape orientation or a square crop can exclude the background. Or try shooting from a different angle.