I want to be Photographer Infographic

Anson

Jul 31, 2006
ansonchew.com
www.ansonchew.com
Came across this article on Fotoseeds which I feel is a good representation of the photographer industry

want-to-be-photographer-infographic.jpg

interesting... it is true...

I find it work well if you retain your hobby while you are doing photography while thinking like a businessman.

Anyway, for people who is interested, I was invited by a group of people on facebook to talk about this... join if you like... it is a free event.

http://www.facebook.com/events/400550166710282/

Regards,

Hart

This pretty much sums it up. Live examples from our forum here:

Amateur ask:

Do it for free or ask for money?

Use of Photo on blog?

The problem occurs when amateur wants both 'love' and 'money', or when amateur wants 'love' at the expenses of someone's 'bread'.

Started with cheap labour

Developed into exploitation.

More Exploitation and cruelty to photographers.

Someone starts to educate, which thread quickly develops into an obvious riff and glaring separation between the interest and motivation of pros vs amatuers:

Depreciation of equipment

No matter how hard you try to improve the situation, there will always be a few who will oppose it. Its like vampires and werewolves living secretly in town assuming identities of simple folks. Simply put, it probably affects their interests in that they wish to continue exploiting the amateurs and starving the pros, while they develop and expand their own business with cheap labour, cheap creativity and cheap costs - yet often with high quality equipment and results, courtesy of the photographers. Amateurs grinning ear to ear with love, pros staring at empty rice bowl helplessly.

So sweet that some one took the trouble to create this. It in visual almost cartoon format surely it can be understood by those who need the knowledge the most.

Love the dog fighting over a bone depiction.
Above all, thanks for sharing. It strengthen my resolve of not going for pro. Besides, I'm not that good anyway. ;)

Blue ocean la...why swim in red ocean.

Really great infographic! Thanks for the share.

Beautifully done and simple for anyone to understand.
Thanks for the share and thanks for the author who put in so much time and effort .

Nice one!

Good thread.

i assume the author is an illustrator :)

Credits are at the end of the graphic. In this case, looks like FotoSeeds could have come up with the concept/content, and commissioned eleven19, a creative agency, to work on the illustration.

Last edited: