I want greener greens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvin

Hello everyone!
I took some pictures along Kallang River, and the trees along the river, in the photos, weren't very green. Is this a film issue, or a hardware issue, or is my metering just off? :sweat: I used Kodak MAX 400 and Fuji Superia Xtra 400. Both gave me pretty similar output.

Also, due to the river reflecting a lot of light I did a +0.5 EV compensation.

This was with my minolta kit lens, 28-80(F3.5-5.6) and 75-300 (F4.5-5.6), Dynax 5.

Thanks!

Regards,
Alvin

usually colours look more saturated if they are underexposed slightly. In your case, my guess is that in the process of compensating for the reflective water, the trees are slightly overexposed, resulting in greens with less contrast and saturation. Can try metering off the trees, and do a -1/3EV. You may get overexposed highlights in the river though. Well it depends on which you think is more important in your picture.

btw, above purely my guess from your description. may not be correct.

Fuji Xtra 400 should be rather contrasty and saturated. What was the exact result you got? Diff shade from what you expected?

One thing to note might be the lighting conditions, if the trees are in harsh light, then they aren't likely to be green no matter what.

Did they look green to you in the first place?

or for negative film, try Fuji Reala. Very saturated as well.

I say use a graduated ND filter with the clear side alighted along the trees and meter for the trees :p

Greets!
Thanks for the suggestions! I will try the recommended films out. Slowly, that is =)

Zerstorer: The trees were a very dark shade of green. Like dried out kang kong kinda colour. Yuck. And the highlights of the water were like blown out :(

Prismatic: Can the grad nd filter be used so that only 1/3 covers the water, and 2/3 covers the trees? Dun wanna have the waterline straight down the middle of the frame :bsmilie:

Heh, which means the trees weren't the desired shade/intensity of green to begin with. :D

alvin said:
Greets!

Prismatic: Can the grad nd filter be used so that only 1/3 covers the water, and 2/3 covers the trees? Dun wanna have the waterline straight down the middle of the frame :bsmilie:

Get a Cokin filter system, then can shift the filter to your desired position.

actually in my opinion fuji superia xtra 400 should give you some very nice green results already. In my opnion(i might be wrong) if you dun get decent results, or even worst, you view the green as dirty green, changing to reala wouldn't produce a superby nice shades for you either.... or course reala is more saturated, but i dun think it would make a heaven n hell diff. if wat you seek for and wat you get is too far off, prehaps you should recap how the scene look like when you took the photo =p

Status
Not open for further replies.