I wanna buy my first DSLR camera.. Pls advise me

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaiyuh

Aug 30, 2006
Woodlanders.
Hi Everyone,
I wanna buy a DSLR camera, but i know nothing about phototaking skill,
I wanna learn(for now), currently i'm using a compact Olympus FE230.

Which brand should i buy?
I think I will use it for few month onli until I lost the interest.

I am thinking about NIKON D40, cheapest as I can find...
My budget should be less than $1200
any idea?

Thanx.
c.Y

D40 then, but don't forget other accessories like external flash, higher speed SDs, spare batt and rechargeable batt for flash, dry cabinet oh and of cos..... LENSES!

:bsmilie:

Hi Everyone,
I wanna buy a DSLR camera, but i know nothing about phototaking skill,
I wanna learn(for now), currently i'm using a compact Olympus FE230.

Which brand should i buy?

I am thinking about NIKON D40, cheapest as I can find...
My budget should be less than $1200
any idea?

Thanx.
c.Y

If you don't know what you want, how can people advice you? We all have personal preferences. If you only gonna be using it for a few months, then its really pointless to waste money on a hobby. You must so rich that you want to throw away money like this....are you trying to show off here?

Be really sure about what you want, else you will regret.

Perhaps you should consider going for a basic photography course before deciding. Its cheaper than getting a DSLR now.

Hi Everyone,
c.Y

I think you better don't buy... save the money. Use it for better returns.

Or wait till you are sure you want to go into photography before buying.

Simple, just get the Olympus DSLR + twin lens, best deal set at around the price you quoted, should keep you happy for a long time, either that or get a 2nd hand one at around 500-800 and invest the rest on lenses OR yeh just get the 300-350D Canon or the D40 you mentioned (but take note, range of nikon lenses can set you back a bit). Hard to explain.
If no interest then stick back to the compact, not much diff really.

Get a second hand D40 since you may lose interest in it so your loss will be smaller.

If you don't know what you want, how can people advice you? We all have personal preferences. If you only gonna be using it for a few months, then its really pointless to waste money on a hobby. You must so rich that you want to throw away money like this....are you trying to show off here?

Perhaps you should consider going for a basic photography course before deciding. Its cheaper than getting a DSLR now.

hi blive,

i not trying to show off here, i work hard to earn money but just wanna enjoy my life
rather than just work.

anyway, thanx for ur advise, i think i am going to second hand D40!

Just buy a super zoom prosumer cam, and save some $$ to buy a book on basic photography skill.
Prices for everything is going up.
Save for your needs.
It has more control than a P&S and still have lots of buttons for you to play with and learn.
The wide range of focal length also enable you to try out different type of photography.
If you lost interest, you still can sell it at 1/2 the price at B&S forum. :)

Hi!
Nikon D60 is a friendly entry level DSLR, its less than 1200 SGD.

Just buy a super zoom prosumer cam, and save some $$ to buy a book on basic photography skill.
Prices for everything is going up.
Save for your needs.
It has more control than a P&S and still have lots of buttons for you to play with and learn.
The wide range of focal length also enable you to try out different type of photography.
If you lost interest, you still can sell it at 1/2 the price at B&S forum. :)

I second that. Since TS is unsure when will his interest die off, better to invest in a prosumer first.

Hi there,

Do you have any friends who is into photography or owns a DSLR?
Maybe you can get some advices from them and most imptly try out the camera personally to get the feel before getting one yourself.

Cheers.

I was in your position a while ago. Why don't your drop by a professional camera shop and get to feel the various cameras. After which you've narrowed down what you're most comfortable holding, get various quotations from respectable shops. If you don't mind pre-loved, keep a lookout at the buy & sell section, it is awfully fantastic with occassion good buys.

hi blive,

i not trying to show off here, i work hard to earn money but just wanna enjoy my life
rather than just work.

anyway, thanx for ur advise, i think i am going to second hand D40!

Its good that you are not trying to show off. The main thing is still to know why you want the camera, else you will regret later and not be enjoying life. Would getting a camera bring you the kind of enjoyment you want?

A camera is a tool, not a magic box to take the picture your eye see.

That said, the D40 is a good camera. Its light and user friendly. I have recommended it to my friends and they have no regrets. value for money. Go to one of the camera shops to try it out first before you buy. See if it fits your style.

I'm sure you can find a Nikon D40 Kit for less than S$850 cause last I check in end december it was going for S$870 before the launch of the Nikon D60.

i had a friend who sell D40 at $500, can i go for it?

Go for Canon 400D, it worth of the money. Just got mine 2 days ago;)

i had a friend who sell D40 at $500, can i go for it?

do you ask everyone else for their opinion when you decide to buy anything second hand?

like that chum already.. do your own homework.. if everyone decide to play you out, will tell you to pay $2K for d40 second hand

got so many other factors - condition, shutter count, whether got drop before, etc

the second hand market has such variance, how can we easily advise just based on the skimpy amount of information given.. at least do not expect any solid must-follow advice.. because no one here is goign to be able to give it based on the skimpy effort you are putting in.

photography, in my opinion, is a lot more than getting a "better camera" and clicking pictures. once you understand that, you'll know what to do, what to buy.. because the interest is there.

right now, i don't see any interest based on the way you are posting here.. just a desire to have a new camera, to "up your photographic standards" somewhat.. in that case.. i guess, it is best to give you the hard brutal truth - no, a d40, a d80, a alpha700, a 400d, a 450d, none of these are going to improve your photos, unless you put in the effort.

but of course, they will help you empty your pockets of excess money :dunno:

do you ask everyone else for their opinion when you decide to buy anything second hand?

like that chum already.. do your own homework.. if everyone decide to play you out, will tell you to pay $2K for d40 second hand

got so many other factors - condition, shutter count, whether got drop before, etc

the second hand market has such variance, how can we easily advise just based on the skimpy amount of information given.. at least do not expect any solid must-follow advice.. because no one here is goign to be able to give it based on the skimpy effort you are putting in.

photography, in my opinion, is a lot more than getting a "better camera" and clicking pictures. once you understand that, you'll know what to do, what to buy.. because the interest is there.

right now, i don't see any interest based on the way you are posting here.. just a desire to have a new camera, to "up your photographic standards" somewhat.. in that case.. i guess, it is best to give you the hard brutal truth - no, a d40, a d80, a alpha700, a 400d, a 450d, none of these are going to improve your photos, unless you put in the effort.

but of course, they will help you empty your pockets of excess money :dunno:

hi guy,

thanx for ur advise, really apperciate it! really.
I admit that i know nothing about photography, i dun know where to start from!
but the way i think was, if i wanna start photography, at least i must a camera to start first.

I'll gather more info about the D40.

Really glad that so many people give me so much advise here!!

Truely thank you all!!

Cheers,
c.Y

Status
Not open for further replies.