I thought F15 Eagle was invincible

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
The F15-Eagle is a great fighter plane.
The quality of pilots count.
Israeli F15 pilots made many kills from 1979 and 1981, + 33 kills in June 1982 Lebanon War + 4.5 kills in post-Lebanon War fights. No Israeli F-15 has ever been lost to enemy action.

StrategyTalk.org :: View topic - F-15 vs Sukhoi .. from ft (apologies for copy-paste)
Quote:
America's Eagle is brought down to earth with a bumpBy Peter Spiegel
Published: August 5 2004 20:26 | Last updated: August 5 2004 20:26

It started as one of the dozens of military exercises the Pentagon conducts with friendly governments each year operations that are as much about bilateral diplomacy as about testing military capabilities.

But the exercise carried out in February, involving mock combat between the US and Indian air forces over the skies of Madhya Pradesh in central India, has taken on a life of its own. The reason? The US lost.

Not only did the US aircraft lose, but they lost repeatedly. According to one member of Congress briefed on the exercise, the US air force's top fighter, the F-15 Eagle, was defeated more than 90 per cent of the time in simulated dogfights with Indian pilots.

As a result, reports on the exercise have not only reached the highest levels of the Pentagon and Capitol Hill but have travelled around the world to military procurement agencies in Singapore and South Korea.
UnQuote

I still don't believe that Indian pilots flying Sukhois can defeat US pilots in F15-Eagles.
Maybe the US pilots were just being polite in a friendly joint exercise and let the Indians "win".

Last edited:
Your article already stated the 'reason' lor, no need to speculate..lol Its always abt simple dollars & sense.

"The reason for the sudden candour has little to do with the F-15, and much more to do with another high-performance aircraft: the $72bn F/A-22 Raptor, a new stealthy combat jet that the US Air Force is desperate to save from Congressional and Pentagon budget-cutters. The craft has come under fire from those who say the US no longer needs a fighter originally designed to fight the next generation of Soviet MiGs. So senior officers have decided that the risks of revealing the inadequacies of the F-15 are outweighed by the opportunity to convince the government to keep buying the higher-priced fighter.

"Something like Cope India, when we find that some of our advantages aren't as great as we thought they might be, leads me to remind people that we need to modernise our air-to-air capability,? says Gen Hornburg. "

That article is 9 years old....

If the Americans fought in these exercises the way they would fight in a real air war, the Indians would be left crying foul.

Indian Air Force can go to their bosses and say "See! We bought the right planes!"

US Air Force can go to their bosses and say "See! We need the Raptor!"

Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

If the Americans fought in these exercises the way they would fight in a real air war, the Indians would be left crying foul.

India is full of corruption. America just need to throw US$ at them to win the war.

err. f 22 is dead. long live the Jsf.

Ever considered the fact that the Eagle is pretty much obsolete and the Yanks deliberately let the Indians win? It's the best way to learn tactics and send feelers about capabilities and weaknesses without actually going to war.

Ever considered the fact that the Eagle is pretty much obsolete and the Yanks deliberately let the Indians win? It's the best way to learn tactics and send feelers about capabilities and weaknesses without actually going to war.

But I tot our RSAF has just not too long ago taken delivery of the F15?

Yeah, it is very true, as the maiden flight of that Eagle took place in 1972, some 40years ago! I tot aeronautics, electronics, biotechnology, etc are very R&D driven and are suppose to move at a faster pace that that. Anyway, the B747, the firsrt Jumbo is of about the same age too. Even though the later F15 comes with modern avionics, newer materials and so forth. But basically the same plane that flew 40years ago.

Imagine driving a 1972 model BMW but with a fuel-injection turbo-diesel engine, fitted with GPS, ICE 7inch touch screen w iphone/thumb drive connection, and other modern conveniences.

These crazy arm race kept alive by the American is big money for them. They are like Cannon and Nikon always coming out with newer models to make more $$ even though you are not taking picture above 3200 iso. :sweat:

If not enough... i still have a vintage one... :bsmilie:

And the plane went... 'Ra..Ta... Ta...' by 1000words.com.sg, on Flickr

Remind me of Snoopy in Peanuts... getting hit by the Red Baron...........

200px-SnoopyVsTheRedBaron.jpg

Even more vintage!!

These crazy arm race kept alive by the American is big money for them. They are like Cannon and Nikon always coming out with newer models to make more $$ even though you are not taking picture above 3200 iso. :sweat:

All these are money talk.........

For SG.... I think we can do a lot more with the money we budget for defense........... Elderly care, child care.......... :think:

All these are money talk.........

For SG.... I think we can do a lot more with the money we budget for defense........... Elderly care, child care.......... :think:

Agree, we should also send all the Generals into Parliament and turn them into Ministers.

The defence contractors had lobby in Congress and Senate.

The F22 (now squashed by Senate) and F35 were too expensive. Both are overly fancy designs that are not practical.
Pilots have complained about the F22.

When F15, F16 and F18 were tested and proven in war, why bother to spend unnecessary money.

Agree, we should also send all the Generals into Parliament and turn them into Ministers.

Har????? I look at the track record, and am not so impressed at all.............. :thumbsd::thumbsd:

But I tot our RSAF has just not too long ago taken delivery of the F15?

Our RSAF's purchase means nothing to the USAF and IAF in this instance, since it's about the capabilities of the Sukhoi.