I think i jus not good in snapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cefazolin

May 14, 2009
Hi Bros here. really need ur advice.. I was very excited when i bought a D90 few days ago. been reading thru the userguide these few nights.. so today i think might as well go botanic garden to test snapping with M mode..

when i reach the water fall, I try snapping a few shot with different setting.. to my horror, it came out totally white!! my setting was M mode, shutter speed 1sec, ISO at low 1.0 to 3200, aperture at F5. using Nikkor 50mm f1.8 prime lens. then i change the shutter speed faster at 1/1000-2000, the photo was not clear at all..

bros here.. can i ask some qns, in broadday light, usually wat is your setting.. I dun wanna to lose this hobby bcos of this mistake and I really wan to learn PASM mode.

Below are the things i invest in this hobby. Hope you bros here able to enlighten mi with your skills and experience in photography.

1. Nikon D90 with 15-105mm Kit lens
2. Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 AF-S ED VR
3. Nikkor 50mm f1.8 Prime lens
4. Raynox CM2000 set. (come with 150 and 250 marco lens)

Bros. i really really interested in shooting. but really no idea how to shoot even in broadday!!!
Bros, if u wanna mi to post my photo here for ur advice, i'll do it. but.. hope u all bare with my lousy shooting..

Last edited:
Hi Bros here. really need ur advice.. I was very excited when i bought a D90 few days ago. been reading thru the userguide these few nights.. so today i think might as well go botanic garden to test snapping with M mode..

time to pick up a basic photography book

manual mode requires some understanding of metering, shutter speed, iso, aperture,

if all of this makes no sense, take a look at sulhan's

photography notes (click on link)

maybe you can buy his book, based on that thread, i have not seen it yet, but it should be a good read.

more information here

you got drive car without lessons or reading up or understanding of theory before? do you think you can? if not, then learn a bit of what it is, learn to walk before you run. everyone started that way.

if you are new, best to start from program mode, read, learn, try, then shift up to aperture priority and shutter speed priority, understand what these encompass, then go to manual mode. if you don't even know what you are doing, just dialing in settings aimlessly, not even knowing what your metering is doing, of course everything will come out weird.

as for how to post pictures, information is there, but i suppose you need some direction, learn how to find things, the newbies corner, articles and guides subsection, there is a lot of good stuff there, if you bother to take the time to read and try and understand.

how to post pictures in clubsnap

if you use flickr

the mighty guru has spoken.

anyway, my opinion is.. for a persn who just bought dslr and has no knowledge and even SHOOTS in manual mode(M) you have a loooonngg way to go.

i'm bored sittin at home and always wanna look for buddy, why not we meet up and 1-1 help you out ? or you can always read up more and attend free or paid courses

the mighty guru has spoken.

anyway, my opinion is.. for a persn who just bought dslr and has no knowledge and even SHOOTS in manual mode(M) you have a loooonngg way to go.

i'm bored sittin at home and always wanna look for buddy, why not we meet up and 1-1 help you out ? or you can always read up more and attend free or paid courses

i want to join too bro, perhaps next weekend? i am damn confuse as well.

why dont you just shoot in Auto...?

I free in next sunday!! we can meet out and wish u can guide us along.

bro night86mare, after u did ur post, i been reading at those link. really thank u very much.
i admit i really nv dig down all the post finding those thread that i need help on.
thanks very much for your kind help in guiding mi to those link.

bro night86mare, after u did ur post, i been reading at those link. really thank u very much.
i admit i really nv dig down all the post finding those thread that i need help on.
thanks very much for your kind help in guiding mi to those link.

well, have fun discovering photography

if you have any further questions, when you really do not understand, it is more than alright to ask.

welcome to clubsnap, btw.

Don't be disheartened!
It went this way for me too..
Pictures were either white or black when i first started with M.
Try to read up what is aperture, shutter speed and ISO.
Especially how they relate to one another.
To start off, maybe you would want to play with aperture and shutter speed mode.
Read, pratice and troubleshoot.

a very simple trick for you to try :

use A mode or P mode. see what's at the viewfinder , then try it out on ur M mode. ;)

both of you check PM.

Time to learn more about ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed from guides ard the web :)

when i reach the water fall, I try snapping a few shot with different setting.. to my horror, it came out totally white!! my setting was M mode, shutter speed 1sec, ISO at low 1.0 to 3200, aperture at F5. using Nikkor 50mm f1.8 prime lens. then i change the shutter speed faster at 1/1000-2000, the photo was not clear at all..

bros here.. can i ask some qns, in broadday light, usually wat is your setting.. I dun wanna to lose this hobby bcos of this mistake and I really wan to learn PASM mode.

You said you have been snapping - I agree. Snapping is just aim and click without using the brain in between. You might get some lucky shots, but chances are low that way. In addition to all that technical stuffs that has been mentioned I would add another advice about purpose and composition. What is your purpose of taking a certain picture? What do you want to show / emphasize? Is there a story you want to tell? Is it a moment or a mood you want to freeze? Lots of questions to think about first. Once you have the answers, the target then all the technical details come in about exposure. Things like aperture and shutter speed can have more purposes when it comes to composition. Aperture can help to isolate an object from background or it can make the whole scene look sharp (see also Depth of Field, bokeh), shutter speed can be used to freeze motion (very fast shutter) or to emphasize motion (slow shutter, panning shots).
For the beginning I recommend you start using P mode (where most things are done by the camera) and just watch how it works. Then go slowly towards Aperture or Shutter Priority modes once you understand what that means. In detail: what do you do in these modes (your input, control) and what the camera will do.

time to pick up a basic photography book

manual mode requires some understanding of metering, shutter speed, iso, aperture,.

I second that. And am quite surprised that someone would pick up a DSLR without understanding the basic. The least you can do is to look at the exposure meter while playing with the shutter and aperture dials. Leave the ISO at a pre-set number, say 200. The exposure indicator should be at 0. A bar or two to the left or right should generally be OK and which the experienced photographers would used to achieve certain result but for a start let's aim for 0. If you are serious in the hobby, don't go the easy way and opt for the auto mode. As someone has said, might as well get a pns.

I second that. And am quite surprised that someone would pick up a DSLR without understanding the basic. The least you can do is to look at the exposure meter while playing with the shutter and aperture dials. Leave the ISO at a pre-set number, say 200. The exposure indicator should be at 0. A bar or two to the left or right should generally be OK and which the experienced photographers would used to achieve certain result but for a start let's aim for 0. If you are serious in the hobby, don't go the easy way and opt for the auto mode. As someone has said, might as well get a pns.

not surprise at all...i see pple bought a DSLR and ask how check change the f#? and then keep turning the zoom ring..

Below are the things i invest in this hobby. Hope you bros here able to enlighten mi with your skills and experience in photography.

1. Nikon D90 with 15-105mm Kit lens
2. Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 AF-S ED VR
3. Nikkor 50mm f1.8 Prime lens
4. Raynox CM2000 set. (come with 150 and 250 marco lens)

Bros. i really really interested in shooting. but really no idea how to shoot even in broadday!!!
Bros, if u wanna mi to post my photo here for ur advice, i'll do it. but.. hope u all bare with my lousy shooting..

i hope you heed night86mare's advice and read up first!
In fact, I think to really understand how to maximize your d90's potential, it requires more understanding than learning how to drive. And all of us who have licenses spent hours and hours (not to mention $$$$$) learning how to drive, am I right?
Don't run before you can walk.

Turn on your investigative mind.
Take a photo in program-auto (P) or even full auto mode. Review the shot, paying particular attention to the camera's choice of settings.
Set it to manual. Duplicate those settings.
Take a series of 10 or 20 shots from exactly the same position, changing 1 variable (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, White Balance) each time. Go back, upload to computer and review. I think you should be able to infer quite a lot from the results.

so you have RTFM.

but have you understood it enough, and APPLIED THEM to your shootings?

do not try to be so stubborn and shoot everything in M mode especially when you are just starting out. i have a colleague who is still so damn stubborn in doing so, he is getting nonsense out of his D90, and is thinking of giving up already. all because he thinks M mode means master mode for DSLR.

dunno what settings to use, use P mode first. den review the picture and look at the settings. and learn the relationship between ISO, Aperture and Shutter. Dont try to fly before you are barely able to walk.

anyway, my 2 explanations for:
- White images - overexposure
- dark to black images - underexposure.

please read up on what this 2 are, and learn how to overcome them.

well from what u say, i think u shud really read up on aperture and exposure ... its gd to read your user manual, but that only covers the functions of your camera.

well ppl say one common mistake is for ppl to buy a dslr without reading up and knowing the basics ... true, but i think its a bigger mistake to buy a dslr and give up on it before u read or experiment with ur dslr. i've seen many who has succumbed to this. important to not despair ...

Shoot in "Auto" see what the camera suggests as the 'right" settings, then play with the M mode.

But I would advise starting with just Tv or Av modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.