I think I am being consumed by the dark side...D50 questions...


Status
Not open for further replies.

boroangel

New Member
Apr 23, 2005
431
0
0
6 months down the road and 1 trip overseas...my Fuji S5500 can't satisfy me anymore...I am more hungry for better image quality and sharpness...and when this guy from Alan Photo let me touch the D50 few weeks back...it was contagious and now I keep thinking about it everyday...

I think I need to move on to a DSLR soon but have been restricted by budget (who isn't? ;) )....will be getting one by Feb although I dunno I can wait that long (might sell my S5500 and its cards). Have read a lot of reviews and comparisons from dpreview and threads from Clubsnap between the D50 and D70 and Canon 350 and I still have some questions. Hope some experts can help.

1. I read the reviews from dpreview and the comparisons...its seems like the image from D50 is slighly softer and less crisp indeed compared to that from D70...I was wondering if I use the price difference between the D50 and D70 to get a better lens(which cost lesser than the price difference).....would the image quality be much sharper and better than that of a D70 with its kit lens? And what would that lens be and how much would it cost?

2. In relation to 1, I shoot more landscapes than anything else and I do not really need too high zoom lens. Was wondering if I even need to go over 70mm. Even to shoot family or frds during travel trips 55mm or 70mm should be enough? I read that wide angle lens (12mm to 24mm) cost over $1000?

3. I have really been happy with the vibrant colours from Fuji. I was wondering between the D50, D70 and 350, which one gives you really warm and vibrant colours? Will it depend a lot on the lens also?

4. With the release of D200, will we expect the price of the D50 and D70 to drop more over the next 2 or 3 months?

Honestly if the D50 wasn't priced at $1200+ now I wouldn't have wanted to move into dSLR so early. Its just so so so tempting...
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,899
0
0
Planet Nikon
boroangel said:
1. I read the reviews from dpreview and the comparisons...its seems like the image from D50 is slighly softer and less crisp indeed compared to that from D70...I was wondering if I use the price difference between the D50 and D70 to get a better lens(which cost lesser than the price difference).....would the image quality be much sharper and better than that of a D70 with its kit lens? And what would that lens be and how much would it cost?
Get D2X better.

boroangel said:
2. In relation to 1, I shoot more landscapes than anything else and I do not really need too high zoom lens. Was wondering if I even need to go over 70mm. Even to shoot family or frds during travel trips 55mm or 70mm should be enough? I read that wide angle lens (12mm to 24mm) cost over $1000?
Landscapes are not only limited to WA, a 70-200VR also can take very good zoom. It's very dependant on yourself.

boroangel said:
3. I have really been happy with the vibrant colours from Fuji. I was wondering between the D50, D70 and 350, which one gives you really warm and vibrant colours? Will it depend a lot on the lens also?
User, glass, and filter used.

boroangel said:
4. With the release of D200, will we expect the price of the D50 and D70 to drop more over the next 2 or 3 months?
D200 is a different class from the D50 and D70S, don't expect their prices to cross affect.
 

boroangel

New Member
Apr 23, 2005
431
0
0
espn said:
Get D2X better.
Thats completely out of my price bracket.:sweatsm:
 

snowspeeder

Senior Member
Feb 16, 2004
3,676
0
36
www.themenatwork.com
You're not consumed by the dark side. It is your destiny for the dark side is within you even before you could sense it.

If you want to get good lenses, got to be ready to invest $.
There's a lot more to photography once you're into the DSLR range.
 

TMC

Senior Member
Sep 4, 2004
6,320
0
0
Beyond Space-Time Continuum
start with the D70 kit first, then slowly upgrade.

18-70 with 70-300 sigma macro is a good combo for casual use
 

Rheo

New Member
Dec 12, 2005
403
0
0
Singapore
comparing all the slr cameras...
D50 is one of the most affordable Slr cameras...

got one and love it.
hehe
 

boroangel

New Member
Apr 23, 2005
431
0
0
TMC said:
start with the D70 kit first, then slowly upgrade.

18-70 with 70-300 sigma macro is a good combo for casual use
Sad to say I m really tight for budget...so it does look like D50 is the one for me.....is it possible to like upgrade to the D70 kit lens when buying the D50 at the shop?
 

ortega

Moderator
Nov 2, 2004
23,700
10
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
boroangel said:
Sad to say I m really tight for budget...so it does look like D50 is the one for me.....is it possible to like upgrade to the D70 kit lens when buying the D50 at the shop?
that is a good idea, but I don't think it is possible
as the D50 only comes in kit packaging.

Welcome to the dark side.
 

itsybitsyspidy

New Member
Jul 5, 2004
1,280
0
0
Get the D50. It's a really good camera in terms of quality at that price. Then you can probably get a Sigma 10-20mm wide angle lens, and this lens only costs $800+ in shops, so you can probably get one off B&S for about $700+ i suppose? The reviews about this lens aint that bad so you might wanna check it out.

I also started on DSLR two months back, and never looked back. Go for it!

Jack
 

boroangel

New Member
Apr 23, 2005
431
0
0
ortega said:
that is a good idea, but I don't think it is possible
as the D50 only comes in kit packaging.

Welcome to the dark side.
Erm.....maybe I can try to sell off the D50 kit lens as a brand new lens and buy another lens from the shop? If so may I know what lens I should buy from the shop (mainly for shooting landscapes and occasional portraits)......is the D70 kit lens the recommended one or are there other options? Budget is a factor.
 

ortega

Moderator
Nov 2, 2004
23,700
10
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
i'd say the D70 kit lens is a good all rounder, it can be used for all that you mentioned.

or if you have the budget, get a Tokina 12-24 and a Nikon 85mm
 

erizai

Senior Member
Sep 16, 2005
1,467
0
36
Southen Sea
boroangel said:
Erm.....maybe I can try to sell off the D50 kit lens as a brand new lens and buy another lens from the shop? If so may I know what lens I should buy from the shop (mainly for shooting landscapes and occasional portraits)......is the D70 kit lens the recommended one or are there other options? Budget is a factor.
By doing so, you can already buy D70s, $1750 wGST w 1Gb CF
I time pain better that 3 times, bro..
 

jnet6

Senior Member
Apr 21, 2004
8,184
3
38
not here often anymore
boroangel said:
Erm.....maybe I can try to sell off the D50 kit lens as a brand new lens and buy another lens from the shop? If so may I know what lens I should buy from the shop (mainly for shooting landscapes and occasional portraits)......is the D70 kit lens the recommended one or are there other options? Budget is a factor.
budget???
don't get DSLR...
 

boroangel

New Member
Apr 23, 2005
431
0
0
erizai said:
By doing so, you can already buy D70s, $1750 wGST w 1Gb CF
I time pain better that 3 times, bro..
No what I meant was for the price difference of a D50 and D70 could I buy another lens with roughly the same focal range as the D70 kit lens and sell off my D50 kit lens? Is there is may I know what lens are recommended?

Thanks ;)
 

erizai

Senior Member
Sep 16, 2005
1,467
0
36
Southen Sea
boroangel said:
No what I meant was for the price difference of a D50 and D70 could I buy another lens with roughly the same focal range as the D70 kit lens and sell off my D50 kit lens? Is there is may I know what lens are recommended?

Thanks ;)
I don't think it has one:dunno:

The differences is only 250+-

or may be you can get a 2nd hand D70(s) but what is the pt if not warranty?

With that you can only try you luck at BnS, and I think the chance is slim..

in fact 18-70mm is perfect enough for those who are not fussy.. (i love my kits lens!)

for me 18-55, 18mm is ok... but for 55 errr...
 

robotech

Member
Oct 5, 2004
497
3
18
www.d3dphotography.com
Join the dark side!!!

I'm a D70 user. Recently, just borrowed my brother's D50 to play.
Overall, compared to the D70 image quality seems slightly better. D50 IQ becomes even better at higher ISOs. But, I must admit the kit 18-55 lens is a bit crappy compared to the 18-70 from the D70s

See this 2 photos taken at ISO1600



 

valkyrie

Member
Aug 23, 2004
371
3
18
North
erizai said:
I don't think it has one:dunno:

The differences is only 250+-

or may be you can get a 2nd hand D70(s) but what is the pt if not warranty?

With that you can only try you luck at BnS, and I think the chance is slim..

in fact 18-70mm is perfect enough for those who are not fussy.. (i love my kits lens!)

for me 18-55, 18mm is ok... but for 55 errr...

Differences only 250+-? Are you sure? Think is more than $400.:confused:
 

ortega

Moderator
Nov 2, 2004
23,700
10
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
if you are planning to sell the D50 kit lens to buy the D70 kit lens then just get the D70s Kit
on a budget, get 2nd hand.
 

boroangel

New Member
Apr 23, 2005
431
0
0
After so much intensive reading over the last few days I think I have basically decided what I want.....
1. I am tight on cash
2. comparing the D50 and D70 in terms of features there isn't really any added features which I think I would need from the D70 (except that mirror lockup which I havent read up on).
3. I am really very much into landscapes and outdoor shooting and is very keen to get a 12-24 or a 10-20. Think I will do most of my shooting in this range. The kit lens from the D50 although not as good as the D70 kit lens will be a good enough alternative in the meantime if I need to go for more focal length. Anything more just try to zoom with legs. This is after looking at most of my shots from my recent trip.....I realise that I shoot at the widest available most of the time.

So hopefully I can get my D50 in Feb......or March and use the kit lens first before saving up enough for the wide lens...

All these came about after reading up a lot on Nikon. However, havent really doen any on Canon yet but it seems like the 350 is the nearest competitor but its price range seems nearer to the D70. But the KM5D.....hmmmmm
 

Status
Not open for further replies.