I remember when "______" was being built/torn down

Status
Not open for further replies.

synapseman

May 6, 2003
State of Confusion
www.pbase.com
Raffles City and the entire Marina Bay area.
Forum Galleria, Wisma Atria, Centrepoint, Ngee Ann City
Changi Airport
The entire MRT system
Benjamin Sheares Bridge
The entire Tampines New Town
Parkway Parade, Liang Court
Practically all of the expressways with the exception of PIE and ECP.
Jurong East Interchange (and surrounding areas).
King Albert Park McDonald's
Galleries LaFayette (I think it was originally called Goldhill Square? Near Novena stn?)
Beauty World Shopping Centre

What other major S'pore landmarks (or places that meant something to you) did you witness in the making?

Then there were also those that were torn down...

The row of shophouses where The Heeren now stands
Cockpit Hotel (should've preserved it, man)
Sembawang Shopping Centre (one of the first places in Sg to sell CDs under $24! Kinda shocked to see that it's now all levelled)
National Theatre
Van Cleef Aquarium
Farrer Park stadium
The original National Library (man, now it's just a hole in the ground)
The original MPH Stamford Road
The original Orchard, Lido and (post-WWII) Cathay Cinemas.
Leisuredrome! (Is it still there??)
A&W along Dunearn Rd
The original bumboat jetty at Changi Point
My primary school.
Sentosa ferry terminal
The original WTC Expo halls.
Colombo Court shopping centre
Yaohan Katong and the adjacent Seaview Hotel
The Red Bakery near Raffles Hotel!

I remembered the A&W joint in one of those shophouses behind Cathay. My aunts went on dates with my uncles and I tagged along :embrass: Somehow, I remembered that one and am very fond of it.

I remembered the A&W joint in one of those shophouses behind Cathay. My aunts went on dates with my uncles and I tagged along :embrass: Somehow, I remembered that one and am very fond of it.

Wow. I can't really remember that. What I do remember is the row of shophouses next to Cathay, most of them selling aquarium fishes.

Never did understand the need to demolish the National Library so that a tunnel can be built ?

Never did understand the need to demolish the National Library so that a tunnel can be built ?

It's one of the more surreal sites/sights IMHO. I mean, memories of the place are so vivid, and yet when you go to the site, it's just one giant hole there. Quite unreal. It's as if the place never existed.

:bsmilie: imagine if the library is still there and the hole is underneath it.....there will be sign in the tunnel bearing the words " No Sounding of Horn, Fine $500" Librarian will go "shhhh" whenever a car with a loud exhuast passby esp those harley davidson bikes:bsmilie:

When Centerpoint was being constructed, Changi Airport, before express ways, only Nichol highway.

I remembered Funan being dark and mysterious had a lot of 见不得光 business :) I may even have an unopened box of Verbatim Teflon coated 3.5" floppy. Costed about $16 then :bigeyes:

I remembered before the construction of the bridge to Sentosa, the cable car accident, catching the last ferry of the night back to Singapore.

I remembered when the going to the funeral homes opposite the Serangoon MRT station before they were torn down.

The marine parade library (where i always go there to watch LDs and play cd-rom games).
The marine parade community centre.
The old holy family church at east coast road.
my primary school (now finished PRIME already)
The toy'R'us store at parkway.

I remember the notorious round about at Nicoll Highway

I remember the scrambler track off loyang

I remember my primary school, now a halfway house for addicts

I remember Sims Drive when it was being built

I remember Punggol seafood centers by the sea

i remember when my dreams were built.. and how they got torn down. :)~

I remember when
1. Buying major brands PCs at computer fairs that comes with all softwares you requested pre-installed...

2. SLS with their levels & levels of software goodies...

3. Pasar malam and all their neat stacks of latest goodies...;p

Those were the days..without which, who will even buy a computer?..

i remember GUillemard circus!!! The huge 'neon?' boards around it!!! anyone got any pictures?? MAN>..this brings back goosebumps.i was really small then.

Then the nicoll highway have 2+3+2 lanes. the central 3 lanes are in the direction of the peak traffic. I was thinking if LTA implement some of these on our highways..instead of more and more ERPs hai..

I remember car pooling...having to seat upright in the backseat of my dad's hyundai pony so that the officer can see that our family car had 4 pax

I remember Yaohan Orchard at Plaza Sing...was a hangout my family went often. I remember the Swensens there!

I remember Toys 'R Us at Marine Parade!! OMG...huge departmental stores were non-existant..and it was the first..HUGE store..and as a kid..it was HEAVEN!!!

I remember Mandarin Theatre at Kallang, watched many movies there when I was young.

I remember watching blocks 42/43 of Sim Drive being torn down floor by floor as I watched from block 41. Those were the days whereby muffled evacuators weren't around yet. Everything from the tearing down of the water systems at the top of the flats..and flunking down to the ground (just throw!!) the loud sounds were damn shiok! And all the sledgehammers-catepillars that tore down each level.....awesome! And when the piling starts for the new blocks, it was really earth-shaking!! And watching workers built wooden casts w reinforced steel and pouring concrete into it...man....it was like watching the best program on discovery channel!!

All these memories....w/o any photographs...I think they're as precious as our sharp/noise-free images from our DSLRs...

Things being built:
I remember watching the MRT line ~Aljunied to Kallang being built. The first construction of the pillars..to ferrying the pre-cast blocks between adjacent pillars..to laying the gravel + tracks..MAN>.!!! The memories..are so vivid! And I had..so much time? hmm...wasn't I spending anytime studying? LOL...

Goosebumps man..memories..

For me, I remember my happy days at my playground. Just a simple swing, merry-go-round, and a see-saw. Much better than those completed playgrounds with no children that we see today. ;)

I remember.. Big Mac Centre at Ang Mo Kio with the play area for children.. (well technically Big Mac Centre is still there..but things are not the same).. I remember sitting on the paper you put on the tray and sliding down the slope there..I remember the big arcade at Big Mac Centre which has like 2 levels linked..

I remember the Oriental (or issit emporium) and NTUC at amk side by side ..got some "fountain" there also which was, in my impression, always dry..oh and the AMK bus interchange (now replaced by AMK hub)..

I remember Thomsom Yaohan.. used to like going there shopping with my family.. Supermarket and mini amusement centre (whimsy or something) at the storey 1.. Best Connection and departmental store on 2nd storey..

I remember Yaohan at Plaza Singapura too..used to queue there during childrens day for some real good goodie bags.. haha

I remember when "World Trade Centre in New York" was being torn down....
that time i was up watching WWE in the late evening... news say got plane crushes into WTC....
as the story unfold... it became more captivating than WWE...
I stay up the night to see how many plane crushes :(

Cockpit Hotel (should've preserved it, man)

heard that hotel had a lot of problems when someone opens the window of their rooms, as they were facing directly at the istana. (which explains why the current building in its place is facing somewhere else other than directly) Then came the haunting rumours. Hahaha

I remembered Funan being dark and mysterious had a lot of 见不得光 business :) I may even have an unopened box of Verbatim Teflon coated 3.5" floppy. Costed about $16 then :bigeyes:

this i remember very well...lol

2. SLS with their levels & levels of software goodies...

HOHOHO....heehheheee

I remember Yaohan Orchard at Plaza Sing...was a hangout my family went often. I remember the Swensens there!

I remember Toys 'R Us at Marine Parade!! OMG...huge departmental stores were non-existant..and it was the first..HUGE store..and as a kid..it was HEAVEN!!!

I remember Thomsom Yaohan.. used to like going there shopping with my family.. Supermarket and mini amusement centre (whimsy or something) at the storey 1.. Best Connection and departmental store on 2nd storey..

I remember Yaohan at Plaza Singapura too..used to queue there during childrens day for some real good goodie bags.. haha

YES! hehehehe

I remember when "World Trade Centre in New York" was being torn down....

actually i remembered more of the old WTC in singapore...the dodgy fast food restuarants and so many students hang around there after school. Sometimes u can see some of them making out in some ulu corner from far. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.