I really wants to own a DSLR ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE clicks clicks

Dec 5, 2005
I have been reading thru quite a lot of this thread lately in CS.
Being into photography for almost 20 years now as a hobbyist, and a CS member for a about couple of years, its seems that this thread are getting more each day.

However the interesting thing is, nowadays its seems many wants to own DSLR when they simply haven't grab the basics of photography. Very unlike the past, where only those who are very keen in photography and has experimented with PnS, bridge camera, etc and are very sure photography and SLR/DSLR are for them before plunging into it.
Perhaps, this days everybody are more affluent and DSLR are more affordable , perhaps its a feel good factor to be seen with a DSLR in the hand, or simply the digital age has really make photography one of the most attractive and mass appealing hobby.

I know this thread would not go down well with some, but that is my observation and own opinion. But Just like to hear from other members what do they think of this. be it you agree or disagree , feel free to air your views.But please, NO PERSONAL ATTACK

It's a hobby, ain't it?

If owning a DSLR makes one happy, then by all means go grab that DSLR!

have a DSLR is cool...
my camera bigger than yours....
forget about all the rules .....

many things may change, but some are the things will not.

I think otherwise lah. Even a newbie also wanted a good quality image, not saying on any other aspect of photography. And now dSLR pricing has plunged so much. Why not pay a little more to get better quality image?

well i think the circumstances today are very different. SLRs in the past cost a bomb. and so it put people off buying them. but today, a nikon d40 kit goes for $800+ brand new. prices have become more affordable.

i don't think we should deride others just because they havent grasped the bascis of photography. the most we should do is to advise them against in in a nice way. we dont have to talk down to them from a moral highpoint. if they choose not to listen to us and decide to byu a DSLR, then we should accept that and give them proper advice on the types of lenses/eqpt to get instead of telling them "youre gg to regret it" etc.

:)

well i think the circumstances today are very different. SLRs in the past cost a bomb. and so it put people off buying them. but today, a nikon d40 kit goes for $800+ brand new. prices have become more affordable.

i don't think we should deride others just because they havent grasped the bascis of photography. the most we should do is to advise them against in in a nice way. we dont have to talk down to them from a moral highpoint. if they choose not to listen to us and decide to byu a DSLR, then we should accept that and give them proper advice on the types of lenses/eqpt to get instead of telling them "youre gg to regret it" etc.

I agree on the point you are coming from, Totally.

But I don't agree with the statement "youre gg to regret it"

HOW CAN REGRET! Siao. You can't be more happy liao! :sweatsm:

In the past, when cameras are operated with films, it is very costly to just pick up an SLR and try to experiment with the various apertures and shuttle speeds. Nowadays, once you paid for the camera and the computer, there is virtually no post processing fees that you need to pay. This benefit can enable people to experiment more freely and more willing to pick up a DSLR and experiment with its effects.

Further, with a DSLR, you get an instant feedback. The LCD screen tells you whether your picture is overexposed/ underexposed, composition and other factors. Due to this instant feedback, you do not have to wait for days for the films to be developed to see what you have done well or done badly.

Erm, actually film SLRS are MUCH MUCH Cheaper than DSLRs. Most advanced amatetur SLRs (think D200 or 30D level) cost about 7-800 only.

Since when you need to be good at photography to own a DSLR?

There are people who can't drive but own Ferraris.

There are people who don't enjoy living in a big house but they own big house.

Shrug.

I don't know photography that much still. I bought my dSLR to learn and some say the best way to learn is to get out and shoot (not other people by gun). Also, the fact that I can use the computer to PP the shots w/c IMO is a lot easier and learning curve is faster. This is the reason why I gave it try.. and now, I like it. :thumbsup:

The one thing cool about dSLR's for me is the genuine mirror flap. :thumbsup:

Erm, actually film SLRS are MUCH MUCH Cheaper than DSLRs. Most advanced amatetur SLRs (think D200 or 30D level) cost about 7-800 only.

i believe film puts ppl off.
having to fork out a few dollars to buy a roll of film, and another few bucks to develop (and view) them is quite costly for new players who are still experimenting.

actually it is the not knowing what is going on after the shutter goes click
that put ppl off film SLRs

and the dissappointment when they get the prints back from the shop.

i believe film puts ppl off.
having to fork out a few dollars to buy a roll of film, and another few bucks to develop (and view) them is quite costly for new players who are still experimenting.

Actaully thats the path i took after i went form a digital compact :D Yes it was pretty costly to pay for the scanning but it taught me to slow down and really think before firing off the shutter.

actually it is the not knowing what is going on after the shutter goes click
that put ppl off film SLRs

and the dissappointment when they get the prints back from the shop.

hmmm i have to agree with u.
and by the time they develop and print the photos, its hard to know what went wrong...

I think otherwise lah. Even a newbie also wanted a good quality image, not saying on any other aspect of photography. And now dSLR pricing has plunged so much. Why not pay a little more to get better quality image?

Does DSLR produce quality image? And PnS produce lousy image?:think: I have many friends who got a DSLR and give up, cos "How come the DSLR image is worst then the PnS?"

Does DSLR produce quality image? And PnS produce lousy image?:think: I have many friends who got a DSLR and give up, cos "How come the DSLR image is worst then the PnS?"

i think he meant image quality, not the quality of the "photo"....

I think there's 2 factors:

1. Kiasu-ism
When you're taking pictures with your nice little pocket-sized PnS and the guy next to you sets up a DSLR, the usual reaction is "Waaah, so pro!" or the usual "p3n!s envy". The guy who LOOKS pro will get a lot of attention from girls, which makes the pns owners think that owning a DSLR is "cool" and will make them look "more pro".

2. Ignorance
Most people think that owning a DSLR will immediately let you take professional-looking images. They think the skill lies in the tool, not the wielder.

It is true that price of a DSLR is more affordable now and people are more affluent than 10 years ago. I remember taking pics with 500N 10 years ago and was hoping but not convinced myself to buy a digital Cam and PNS for close to 1K and is only 2 MPix.

There is another trend where the advancement of digital age put those people who can afford to pay buy a higher model than what they want/need. One of my friend ask me for opinion a year ago regarding 350D/400D. I introduced him to my usual regular camera shop and he bought a 400D + a L-lens (17-40f4L) and upgraded to 30D overnight by paying the different. The reason given by him was that he would like to own a DSLR which do not need to upgrade in the long future and according to him $600 + different is nothing! ;p I hope that I have this flexibility though.:dunno:

This is the current trend in high-tech digital age and the DSLR life cycle (at least for Canon) is only 18 months that make future investment on next upgrade really tricky. just my opinion. :)

I pity those DSLRs that were bought by the owners because they were persuaded by those pesky sales promoters in those road shows. Sometimes I see some people buying DSLRs just to keep up with their rich image.

I often overhear their conversations:" get a DSLR....frames per second. megapixel.....blah ......" but never tell them that they have to buy a lot of lenses just to continue with the hobby. So a lot of people buy and then later regret and keep in their cupboards and it got wasted. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.