i really need more practive in this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enrell

Jan 17, 2010
got myself a used ist dl..went to changi this morning to test the camera..took a few pictures, playing ard wif the shutter n ampeture settings..

there were few nice fotos but its not wat i expected from a dslr camera..mebbe i dint do the settings right?

most of the pictures r quite dark n dint really stands out...seems that i must use the flash to get good pics..most of the pics are taken at iso400

any advice for the pros??

heres some samples
IMGP2132.jpg

IMGP2151.jpg

IMGP2154.jpg

IMGP2163.jpg

IMGP2153.jpg

Last edited:
A few things to read up:
Photography Notes for Newbies for general understanding of photography
Minimum Focusing Distance of lenses
Your camera manual (selecting focus points)
Just having a DSLR doesn't result in "wow" pictures on the spot. It requires even more understanding of the topic to use the right settings. Just wild snapping and fiddling with some settings (btw: what exactly have you done?) won't help much.
As a bonus, try to write in proper English, helps a lot to understand you and your problem.

A few things to read up:
Photography Notes for Newbies for general understanding of photography
Minimum Focusing Distance of lenses
Your camera manual (selecting focus points)
Just having a DSLR doesn't result in "wow" pictures on the spot. It requires even more understanding of the topic to use the right settings. Just wild snapping and fiddling with some settings (btw: what exactly have you done?) won't help much.
As a bonus, try to write in proper English, helps a lot to understand you and your problem.
Thank you for the tip.

I have printed the posts from the thread that you have mentioned and I am going to go through it again.

got myself a used ist dl..went to changi this morning to test the camera..took a few pictures, playing ard wif the shutter n ampeture settings..

there were few nice fotos but its not wat i expected from a dslr camera..mebbe i dint do the settings right?

most of the pictures r quite dark n dint really stands out...seems that i must use the flash to get good pics..most of the pics are taken at iso400

any advice for the pros??

heres some samples
IMGP2132.jpg

IMGP2151.jpg

IMGP2154.jpg

IMGP2163.jpg

IMGP2153.jpg

You have to learn the basics first. Don't use auto. Use PASM. And learn to read the light meter. If you can't take a good picture with the viewfinder, use the Live View first. You won't be able to take good photos with a DSLR if you don't know how. Nope, you MIGHT not need flash in some situations..

and you can also use some softwares to post-process your photos. Shoot in RAW.

Sorry if I sounded hostile. LOL.

You have to learn the basics first. Don't use auto. Use PASM. And learn to read the light meter. If you can't take a good picture with the viewfinder, use the Live View first. You won't be able to take good photos with a DSLR if you don't know how. Nope, you MIGHT not need flash in some situations..

I totally disagree. Liveview will not help him learn any of the basics.

FYI, he's using a PENTAX *ist DL, which is from 2005. It has no live view and only 3 AF points, and so he needs to work harder to get the basics right first.

Last edited:

As in, if he want to see the difference when he is adjusting the white balance, exposure, he can use the Live View to see what are the differences. IMO.

FYI, he's using a PENTAX *ist DL, which is from 2005. It has no live view and only 3 AF points, and so he needs to work harder to get the basics right first.

Oh, I didn't see that. >.<

photoshop might help

photoshop might help

i dint do any post-editing cos i want to see whats the quality like

dats true. ive to get the basics right. so more reading n practising...

no worries..no offence taken..im not using auto. just the S and A.

2nd & 4th picture

Camera shake; it's not easy to shoot with low speed hand held. Use higher speed or tripod if possible.

Last edited:
#3 looks like your setup is front focusing... Should check on that. Maybe that's why your pictures are all so OOF.

#3 looks like your setup is front focusing... Should check on that. Maybe that's why your pictures are all so OOF.
i googled it n it was suggested dat i shld the ist for calibration? if so where n how much?

i googled it n it was suggested dat i shld the ist for calibration? if so where n how much?

Bring it to the pentax service center.

In addition to all those learning mentioned, you should try to avoid iso1600 where possible for plants and flower. For instance the first orange flower pic where you see lots of discoloration thus the flower is not natural.

Second is, technology has improved image processor and sensor in camera over the years so there is a gap in vibrancy. But that does not mean it is bad, it just mean you cannot let camera be itself.

Follow PASM (not MSAP), use P mode first to get accustom to the camera's behaviour, then move to ASM. E.g Earlier version of LCD are no that high resolution, thus you may be get the full feel.

Read your manuals too, check if the flash power (if the feature is avail) and EV have been changed.

Actually, cant tell which specific parts in the picture you were focusing in the first place, so cant say if needs calibration.

Actually, cant tell which specific parts in the picture you were focusing in the first place, so cant say if needs calibration.

Yup, agreed!

from the viewfinder..looks like i got all in focus...man..seems like im suck in this..lol..gonna practice more..

Status
Not open for further replies.