I paid brand new price for a used hard disk fr a reputated shop at SL

Status
Not open for further replies.

home

Mar 18, 2004
I knocked off on time today rush with my gf to Sim Lim Square to purchase extra hard drive to size up my PC storage. Went to one of the biggest & reputated IT shop at 4th floor. The sales girl service is good & friendly, not much bargain or 2nd thought, bought a 'brand new' 80GB Seagate hard disk & 512MB RAM based on her recommendation.

Reached home, went straight to start up my PC & get ready to install the new toy. Did a simple master/slave jumper changed & rebooted my PC..... CMOS detected the new hard disk & memory, everything seems work perfectly.

Time for format & partition...
went to Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Disk Management, hmm..the hard disk seems to be formatted nicely in NTFS format. At first, I thot Seagate was doing a good job to pre-formatted the disk before pack for sales. Then, i launch my window explorer, I noticed a folder named Windows is created, when I clicked at it, a dozen of subfolders appeared, immediate I noticed something was wrong - this is a used hard disk!!!! It has been used since Aug 2002.

Surprise2.jpg

This is really sick, I have been avoiding those 'blacklisted' shops in SL & went to the reputated one, really didn't expect this thing to happen. I'm now lost confident buying stuff from SL.:thumbsd: Guess Funan would be better place for my future purchase.

Guy, do you think the shop will allow 1-1 exchange if I bring it back tomorrow? Or is there anything I should do?

It is quit standard to have 7 day 1-to-1 exchange, especailly those reputable shops, But not all shops.

Yes, this is too much. Which shop?

Bro,

If I happened to me, I will be talking to the store manager tomorrow with the harddisk and receipt.
Was it sealed in Anti - static bag? I believe not.

Can PM me the name of that shop?

you mean there was a windows folder on it before you tried formatting? suggest you do a 1 to 1 exchange, I am sure they will change it if you make alot of noise.

irage said:
Bro,

If I happened to me, I will be talking to the store manager tomorrow with the harddisk and receipt.
Was it sealed in Anti - static bag? I believe not.

Can PM me the name of that shop?

PMed. Nope, it's not "Anti - static bag", should be more careful next time.

Sjourn said:
you mean there was a windows folder on it before you tried formatting? suggest you do a 1 to 1 exchange, I am sure they will change it if you make alot of noise.

ya, a windows main folder & list of sub-folders, guess it's Windows 2000.

Bro, Thank for the PM, I have guess that shop too.
I have not bought anything from that shop before, as they do not serve well.
I would suggest that you talk to their shop manager tomorrow.

New harddisk will normally come in anti-static bag to prevent their IC board from static charge attack. and there is usually a smell of fresh mental.:D

home said:
PMed. Nope, it's not "Anti - static bag", should be more careful next time.

irage said:
Bro, Thank for the PM, I have guess that shop too.
I have not bought anything from that shop before, as they do not serve well.
I would suggest that you talk to their shop manager tomorrow.

New harddisk will normally come in anti-static bag to prevent their IC board from static charge attack. and there is usually a smell of fresh mental.:D

A lession learnt. Is there any authority I can report to?

pls pm me too.... thanks.

read the clue! its the BIGGEST shop :cool:

I suggest you email Seagate. After all, they have their regional HQ in Singapore, and so would ensure that channel partners don't do dodgy things! ;)

MW

can those who know the shop name PM me too?

i am about to buy a new hard disk and i definitely dont want that to happen to me

I would like to know as well - could u kindly PM me the name of the shop please? Thanks.

PS: Btw, is there anything wrong with mentioning the name of the shop publicly here? I'm sure a lot of other ppl would want to know as well.

redknuckles said:
I would like to know as well - could u kindly PM me the name of the shop please? Thanks.

PS: Btw, is there anything wrong with mentioning the name of the shop publicly here? I'm sure a lot of other ppl would want to know as well.

Hmmm.......:think:

home said:
I knocked off on time today rush with my gf to Sim Lim Square to purchase extra hard drive to size up my PC storage. Went to one of the biggest & reputated IT shop at 4th floor. The sales girl service is good & friendly, not much bargain or 2nd thought, bought a 'brand new' 80GB Seagate hard disk & 512MB RAM based on her recommendation.
Time for format & partition...
went to Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Disk Management, hmm..the hard disk seems to be formatted nicely in NTFS format. At first, I thot Seagate was doing a good job to pre-formatted the disk before pack for sales. Then, i launch my window explorer, I noticed a folder named Windows is created, when I clicked at it, a dozen of subfolders appeared, immediate I noticed something was wrong - this is a used hard disk!!!! It has been used since Aug 2002.

How did you tell it is used since "Aug 2002"? The manufacturing date of the harddisk can be found on the label that is pasted on the harddisk. If it is not there, you can still guess the age by looking at the ICs on the PCB based on the printed date code. The harddisk should not be that old.

Make sure you note down the serial number of the harddisk just in case they swap back the same drive to you when you make the 1 to 1 exchange.

You might want to post the serial number and model number here just in case someone end up buying it as new again.

bartman said:
How did you tell it is used since "Aug 2002"? The manufacturing date of the harddisk can be found on the label that is pasted on the harddisk. If it is not there, you can still guess the age by looking at the ICs on the PCB based on the printed date code. The harddisk should not be that old.

Make sure you note down the serial number of the harddisk just in case they swap back the same drive to you when you make the 1 to 1 exchange.

You might want to post the serial number and model number here just in case someone end up buying it as new again.

all PMed... never sent so PM b4 in one day...

Opened up windows folder, some files last modified date shown as '29-08-2002'.
Where should I post the series no? Just like irage suggested, ensure it's sealed in Anti - static bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.