I officially start to hate gaffer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
it leaves residue..
and some more it's white residue.. :( :cry: My brand new 40D..

What brand u use ? Should have changed the gaffer every few months. Can use some kind of chemical to clean

Are you sure you are using the right kind of gaffer tape, and not duct tape?

The correct kind of gaffer is matt finish, and does not leave residue unless you leave it on for a very long time, and the surface comes in contact with bodily heat on a very regular basis.

Are you sure you are using the right kind of gaffer tape, and not duct tape?

The correct kind of gaffer is matt finish, and does not leave residue unless you leave it on for a very long time, and the surface comes in contact with bodily heat on a very regular basis.

i think the prob is the tape was 2 yrs old..
and yes it's gaffer tape..

A bit of IPA (rubbing alcohol) or lighter fluid and it should all come out. Do be careful that you don't rub off the paint as well! Test it on the small area first. Another alternative is that you can use an eraser and rub it off but it is more time consuming.

BTW, gaffer is not magic tape. Like all tapes, given enough time and heat, it will most certainly turn sticky and adhere itself strongly to the surface it is stuck on so don't be surprised at the results. This is why I don't gaffer the body at all.

Samuel

A bit of IPA (rubbing alcohol) or lighter fluid and it should all come out. Do be careful that you don't rub off the paint as well! Test it on the small area first. Another alternative is that you can use an eraser and rub it off but it is more time consuming.

BTW, gaffer is not magic tape. Like all tapes, given enough time and heat, it will most certainly turn sticky and adhere itself strongly to the surface it is stuck on so don't be surprised at the results. This is why I don't gaffer the body at all.

Samuel

THank you for the advice.. i will try..

a couple of tape suppleirs overseas carrying 10 diff brands of gaffer told me that there is no such thing as no residue gaffer.. leave it on long enough, there will still be a residue, especially in humid environments, rubber adhesive or not, will still deterioriate

Just use another new pcs of tape and tap it a few times over the problem areas.

2nd this.. use another piece of new tape, press hard on the residue and quickly pull it off..

then use IPA to clean off the remainder like alternative suggested..

alternatively..diy shops got sell those special products to remove adhesives.. saw before but i never tried before..

I used to gaffer my camera body and flashes.. then give up after realising how troublesome it is when you want to change the gaffer... But if i want to stick on a velcro or something to the flash, i will still gaffer the flash first before sticking on the velcro.. hahah

The 3m magic tape work better...it on my km5d for 3yr and after removal it still leave a sticky feel... but definitely no residual

Keep changing the tape regularly and there shouldn't be any problems.

And when you apply it, you should be able to feel the tackiness of the tape.

tackiness as in the tape's sticky quality or it looks tacky? :bsmilie:

The 3m magic tape work better...it on my km5d for 3yr and after removal it still leave a sticky feel... but definitely no residual

Oh i see.. I was from the cold country, used to think tapes will become dry and
crispy and can be removed easily..

During my hour of gaffering work, it was sticky.. And I even put the tape under the
sun for an hour to make it better at sticking.. :sweat: Maybe my first assumption
was very wrong.

I had better take another hour to just remove it all..

The tapes sticky quality...

darn... feel like I'm back in English class... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I use Apollo and so far, when I use the tape, it comes off easily with minimal residue.

I suspect it's the difference of roughness between back surface of tape and
the surface of the camera body. The rougher, the better glue will adhere to it..
If the glue adheres better to the tape, then it leaves less residue behind when
I remove the tape.. am I right? :confused:

actually, all tapes will leave residue. for sure.
gaffer tape... duct tape.. all serve the same purpose. just to protect ur cam from scratches.

gaffer tape is abit overpriced right? i use other tapes. damn cheap and works just like gaffer!

if there is residue, just take it off with Ronson.

I suspect it's the difference of roughness between back surface of tape and
the surface of the camera body. The rougher, the better glue will adhere to it..
If the glue adheres better to the tape, then it leaves less residue behind when
I remove the tape.. am I right? :confused:

Not really... even smooth surfaces may get residue too....

I find the rough areas to have less residue actually...

A bit of IPA (rubbing alcohol)

eh, which IPA would u recommend?

I planning to remove the gaffer tape also. my one have turn into sticky glue already, cannot be removed.

eh, which IPA would u recommend?

I planning to remove the gaffer tape also. my one have turn into sticky glue already, cannot be removed.

Try it.. and come back share your experience.. :)

Finally got it ALL removed.. WHen there are remains I tap then pull with the tape and the tape can remove the residues..
I guess I am lucky the run-off glue hasn't infiltrated into the surface of the camera body yet..

The tap technique really work, many thanks!

Lens cleaning fluid can clean remains on the LCD nicely.. Now it's as good as new.

Status
Not open for further replies.