Visit site
more dragonflies!!!!! :D Next week zoo.

df1.JPG

df2.JPG

df3.JPG

df4.JPG

Originally posted by xdivider
df1.JPG

this one look like 3D image.. doesn't look natural where the legs touch the surface..

Fantastic closeup! But the first few seems a little soft (maybe out of focus). Good try thou.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: nice... = P

Originally posted by shawntim

this one look like 3D image.. doesn't look natural where the legs touch the surface..

Hmm, izzit? Tried to wave it to get a better position shot but in the end it juz go elsewhere totally.

Originally posted by azone
Fantastic closeup! But the first few seems a little soft (maybe out of focus). Good try thou.

I used soft sharpening cos the casio produces jagged edges with high contrast. Usually, what should be USM settings to be used with insects?

nice try ....

focus the eyes of the dragonfly and use the smallest size of the apeture like f/8 ...

Originally posted by megaweb
nice try ....

focus the eyes of the dragonfly and use the smallest size of the apeture like f/8 ...

Thanx. Went down to BG to try at 8am but most of the pics came out dark, probably cos of the 52mm +4 filter blocking the already weak flash. Have to try again in the bright afternoon sunlight or get a external flash ;p

Thanx. Went down to BG to try at 8am but most of the pics came out dark, probably cos of the 52mm +4 filter blocking the already weak flash. Have to try again in the bright afternoon sunlight or get a external flash ;p

2 tips from me but dunno good or not ;p (no harm trying) ... go to BG from 0800 to 1200 hrs when the dragonflies do not tilt its tail high up ( look nicer )

1. when there is lighting (shinning day)
use aperture priority mode. use settings like f/8 and make sure the shutter speed is faster than 1/160 sec ....

2. when there is poor lighting (clouding day)
use manual mode. use settings like 1/160sec and f/8 .. good to have a external flash with bounce card or omni-bounce ...

Good attempt but image is soft and background distracting...

Megaweb, how do you achieve the completely blurred green background on your dragonfly shots? I thought there was a post somewhere in clubsnap that says prosumer digital cameras can never achieve that nice bokeh... Is it becos your external closeup lens did the trick?

I used soft sharpening cos the casio produces jagged edges with high contrast. Usually, what should be USM settings to be used with insects?

Usually I use around:
Amount - 100
Radius - 0.8
Threshold - 10

There're no fixed settings, depending on each pic. I used different settings for each pic sometimes. Try playing around with each of the values and campoare results.

Originally posted by megaweb

2 tips from me but dunno good or not ;p (no harm trying) ... go to BG from 0800 to 1200 hrs when the dragonflies do not tilt its tail high up ( look nicer )

1. when there is lighting (shinning day)
use aperture priority mode. use settings like f/8 and make sure the shutter speed is faster than 1/160 sec ....

2. when there is poor lighting (clouding day)
use manual mode. use settings like 1/160sec and f/8 .. good to have a external flash with bounce card or omni-bounce ...

Okie, thanx for the tips. Will try them out next time (wun be long :D)

Originally posted by azone

Usually I use around:
Amount - 100
Radius - 0.8
Threshold - 10

There're no fixed settings, depending on each pic. I used different settings for each pic sometimes. Try playing around with each of the values and campoare results.

Tried dabbling with the first pic. The head gets considerably sharpened but the background seem to become a bit pixelated. Did u usually need to do smoothing after that?

sorry .... forget to mention something ... the tip 1 will give a better background effect than tip 2 ...

Originally posted by David
Good attempt but image is soft and background distracting...

Megaweb, how do you achieve the completely blurred green background on your dragonfly shots? I thought there was a post somewhere in clubsnap that says prosumer digital cameras can never achieve that nice bokeh... Is it becos your external closeup lens did the trick?

u mean this shot ?

http://homex.coolconnect.com/member4/johny_koh/b15/169-6917_img.htm

when u r using dc with macro mode or closeup lens ... usually the background will have bokeh effect .. for nice bokeh effect , you need to use tip 1 method .. good lighting effect

Yes, this one included and a few others that I see on your website. They are indeed beautiful!! Thanks for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.