I need to show the editor my photos but I don't want they steal them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

standingup

Nov 21, 2006
Singapore
Hi all,

Because I am very new to this making money from photography. So please help me with my noob questions. Here it goes.

I need to show editors my photos to ask them whether they want to buy them or not. I must send it online through email. So I will send a resized version but I don't know what it the best way to protect them. I don't want the editors use them without my permission.

I know it's quite a stupid question but hope get advise from some experienced pro here..

Thank you in advanced for reading..:(

what kind of publication? and what resolution did they request for preview pictures?

can do it by making your photos copyrighted.

watermark it. at least it cannot be easliy removed by cropping.

what kind of publication? and what resolution did they request for preview pictures?

Thanks eikin for quick reply. The publication is for event newspapers or flyers. For viewing they require files smaller than 200k, 600x400,72dpi. When a photo is accepted, they would require Raw file or JPG ( I must convert and edit).

Now only the first step: sending pictures. I don't know what is the best way to delivery.

The thing is:

1) If I create watermark, is photo hard to seen?

2) If they publiced it without my permission, 100% I wouldnot sue them although my knowledge on intelltual properties is not that bad. It is because of the legal fee and the editors is not from Singapore. Long distance, suing a firm is danm costly so I wont care.

3) I am only looking a the best way that they can read my photo and hopefully get some small amount of money from that.

Thanks and regards,

watermark it. at least it cannot be easliy removed by cropping.

You replied very fast . Sorry I wrote in my previous post. I am worry that my watermarks would make the picture hard to be seen. That's why I am looking for some one with experience could advise me. Is there any better way?

can do it by making your photos copyrighted.

Actually, for photo you don't need to register for copyright..The copy right is automatically belong to you and 10 years after you die. But hor, as I said before, I wouldnot sue them nor do any thing because I can afford the fee and time to follow a law case.

mail them a hardcopy to choose?

i will be happy if my photos are "stolen" by editor though !haha!

Thanks eikin for quick reply. The publication is for event newspapers or flyers. For viewing they require files smaller than 200k, 600x400,72dpi. When a photo is accepted, they would require Raw file or JPG ( I must convert and edit).

Now only the first step: sending pictures. I don't know what is the best way to delivery.

The thing is:

1) If I create watermark, is photo hard to seen?

2) If they publiced it without my permission, 100% I wouldnot sue them although my knowledge on intelltual properties is not that bad. It is because of the legal fee and the editors is not from Singapore. Long distance, suing a firm is danm costly so I wont care.

3) I am only looking a the best way that they can read my photo and hopefully get some small amount of money from that.

Thanks and regards,

event newspaper/flyer? they might not really need high-res picture for printing, well depending on how the picture is used also. give them something good enough for viewing on screen but not good enough to print, you can strategically place your watermark. if they are really going to use your picture without your permission, you can always reflect their bad name here.

btw, must check with them whether any payment made is for one time usage only or for full copyright or otherwise

if you suspect that they might steal your photo, why bother to deal with them in the first place?

event newspaper/flyer? they might not really need high-res picture for printing, well depending on how the picture is used also. give them something good enough for viewing on screen but not good enough to print, you can strategically place your watermark. if they are really going to use your picture without your permission, you can always reflect their bad name here.

btw, must check with them whether any payment made is for one time usage only or for full copyright or otherwise

Thanks a lot eikin for your precious advices. I would check,read and do carefully.
I think in Japan now late liao..Have a nice sleep..:D

if you suspect that they might steal your photo, why bother to deal with them in the first place?

Er..No lah..I am lack of confidence to deal with editors since I am a very noobie newbie. That's why I seek for pros here for advices. To me, I can take photo is much more important. However, as you know, if we can earn a little amount from what we did then better because the cost of lenses are super high. Frankly, if I get nothing also doesnt matter to me.

I know my skill is bad, my photos wont be gems so that really 100% protect them. Just try my best to get what we might be deserved to have.

u can use PDF to do a slideshow. restrict to print and copy

watermarks are totally fine. just look at how the microstock sites & other image companies showcase their libraries.

Just a quick note to add about the coverage of copyright.

Copyright exists for the life of the author who created the piece plus seventy (70) years after the death of the same author.

Just for illustration

Artist A painted picture Z on 3 Jan 2007. Sometime later, Artist A decided to take a photo of picture Z, let's call it photo Y. Photo Y was taken on 25 August 2009.

So Artist A is entitled to enjoy copyright protection for two items which he/she has created, picture Z and photo Y. This entitlement lasts for the duration of Artist A's life, unless Artist A authorises a transfer of the copyright to someone else, or has sold his/her copyrighted picture or photo to someone else for a fee.

Assuming that there is no transfer and that Artist A passed away on 10 May 2010, leaving the assets to his/her family, the family will have entitlement to the copyright of picture Z and photo Y up to 10 May 2080, i.e. life plus 70 years.

Just a quick note to add about the coverage of copyright.

Copyright exists for the life of the author who created the piece plus seventy (70) years after the death of the same author.

Just for illustration

Artist A painted picture Z on 3 Jan 2007. Sometime later, Artist A decided to take a photo of picture Z, let's call it photo Y. Photo Y was taken on 25 August 2009.

So Artist A is entitled to enjoy copyright protection for two items which he/she has created, picture Z and photo Y. This entitlement lasts for the duration of Artist A's life, unless Artist A authorises a transfer of the copyright to someone else, or has sold his/her copyrighted picture or photo to someone else for a fee.

Assuming that there is no transfer and that Artist A passed away on 10 May 2010, leaving the assets to his/her family, the family will have entitlement to the copyright of picture Z and photo Y up to 10 May 2080, i.e. life plus 70 years.

Hee..Thanks toffeespin for your easy understand example. Yeah..My ignorance, I thought only 10 years after the author die. Hmm..Time to review my law lessons liao...:D..

You are welcome, Standingup. I have learned a lot from this forum so this is just my little contribution :)

Just want to ask, does the 70 year after death copyright rule only apply to Singapore law or is this an international rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.