I need to buy B+W UV Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ongahbee

Sep 17, 2008
Singapore
Hi, I just bought my first camera Canon 450D + 17-55mm (2.8) lens. Anyone knows where i can purchase B+W UV Filter at a cheap price?

Hi, I just bought my first camera Canon 450D + 17-55mm (2.8) lens. Anyone knows where i can purchase B+W UV Filter at a cheap price?

I can't answer your question since I don't shop in Singapore, but just want to pass along a word of warning. B+W has many 77mm UV filters (a search of B&H returned 7). You usually have a choice of coating (standard or MRC), and in normal, slim or extra wide format. When comparing prices remember to compare the exact same filter.

Henessy sells the cheapest from what I know...:thumbsup:

Henessey MO :thumbsup:

There is only one UV filter hennessy is selling. That is B+W UV-Haze 010 MRC F-PRO(BRASS). Can i buy that? : )

that's pretty much the standard...

There is only one UV filter hennessy is selling. That is B+W UV-Haze 010 MRC F-PRO(BRASS). Can i buy that? : )

Yes. It's the "best" UV filter on the market. Of course, "best" is subjective, but that is basically, very very very very good :)

Yes. It's the "best" UV filter on the market. Of course, "best" is subjective, but that is basically, very very very very good :)

Cost is approx $100 - one of the more expensive UV filter. Hoya ones cost abit less. May be $60?

I heard from my friend is that it is definitely one of the best in the market. Luckily, i managed to get the stock from Henessy. I am collecting from him this sunday!

Btw, is it recommended for me to use the camera outdoor before i integrate the filter with my lens?

Btw, is it recommended for me to use the camera outdoor before i integrate the filter with my lens?

Have you seen any warning or disclaimer on your lens "Don't use outdoors unless protected by filter?" Who gave you this idea? I do suggest more reading about such topics, seems you have some wrong impressions. With that non-knowledge you are an easy victim of sales guys.
Something about the "you must have a filter" myth: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-feb-05.shtml
You don't 'integrate' your filter, you just screw it on the front end of the lens.

NO, YOU MUST NOT EXPOSE YOUR LENS TO UNCLEAN AIR UNTIL YOU INTEGRATE THE FILTER TO YOUR LENS. Because, you see, everyone knows that lens are fragile contraptions designed for use only in the most controlled environments. To utilise your fragile equipment in the field without the immense protection an integrated filter provides is utter folly!

ok pardon my childish-inclinations, but you just screw on the filter, not integrate it. this is not rocket science -_- and no, not having a filter on when you bring your camera outdoors is not a sin. Plenty of photographers don't use UV filters at all when they head out, because having an extra layer of glass infront of your lens can reduce the IQ.

Dear Ongahbee,

I'd suggest that you get your B+W filter from Cathay Photo ("CP") in Singapore.

There are too many B+W fakes out there in the market, since you are willing to "splurge" on a B+W, it is best to stick to a reputable company.

The best way to buy things from CP is to send them an e-mail and ask for an equote. They respond rather quickly, normally within 2 working days. Print out the email and go down to the shop. This is normally the best price you can get from them and many times the price quoted in this fashion is actually lower than those found in places such as Sim Lim Square or other neighbourhood shops.

And be sure to ask for an "MRC" version of your B+W filter.

Thanks guys for the comments. I really appreciate it and i dun mind being scolded or insulted as long as i get to learn something from the experienced. I will read more from now onwards.
: )

Dear Ongahbee,

I'd suggest that you get your B+W filter from Cathay Photo ("CP") in Singapore.

There are too many B+W fakes out there in the market, since you are willing to "splurge" on a B+W, it is best to stick to a reputable company.

The best way to buy things from CP is to send them an e-mail and ask for an equote. They respond rather quickly, normally within 2 working days. Print out the email and go down to the shop. This is normally the best price you can get from them and many times the price quoted in this fashion is actually lower than those found in places such as Sim Lim Square or other neighbourhood shops.

And be sure to ask for an "MRC" version of your B+W filter.

from the number of purchases I see from Henessy, I believe he is selling the orig one.
I should be as I am buying one from him in 2 weeks hehe.
CP quoted me B+W 20sgd more than Henessy

The stuff at Cathay Photo is generally expensive as compared to Parisilk (Holland V). I saved more than one hundred plus dollars when i first bought my 450D and 17-55mm lens.

Anyway, i will be collecting the filter from Henessy this sunday. : )

I have collected the filter from Hennessy. Excellent condition and genuine stuff. Made in Germany guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.