I need some opinions...

HelloNiHao

May 3, 2010
Hi everyone, I am a sony user now and am considering changing a camera. why? because I need lower noise at higher iso and i would prefer a bigger body. I feel that the A5xx series is too plasticky already. I am considering Nikon or Pentax.

For Nikon, it should be a D90 and for pentax, it should be K-7. These two cameras are priced closely and I am leaning towards the K-7 due to the magnesium body. But I don't know how's the noise control for K-7.

Can anyone give me any opinion? Thanks!

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K7/K7A.HTM

I think the keyword is
you're getting tired of reading that by now, I'm sure.
under the "Pentax K7 versus Nikon D90 at ISO 1,600" section. Juz how much iso would you bump to your max for APSC? If you are solely basing your upgrade via iso performance, then a FF would satisfy you better..

*my opinion-D90* or buy a faster lens:bsmilie:

Why not wait for the A700 replacement?

I did consider that and the video mode and hopefully the iso should be better than the listed cameras. But I don't know when they will release it and I feel limited by the lens option...I know there are KM lenses, but I would prefer new things. =/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K7/K7A.HTM

I think the keyword is under the "Pentax K7 versus Nikon D90 at ISO 1,600" section. Juz how much iso would you bump to your max for APSC? If you are solely basing your upgrade via iso performance, then a FF would satisfy you better..

*my opinion-D90* or buy a faster lens:bsmilie:

Hmm. I will be getting a 50mm f1.4 regardless of what I am going to upgrade. That's the fastest I can afford but i would still need to bump up my iso to 1600-3200. I shoot in places that are really dark. I have considered a FF and that is D700 but my budget is around 3k to 3k+. If I were to buy the D700 and a 50mm f1.4, I don't have any money left to buy something like a tripod or a dry cabinet already.

Nikon D700...

Please refer to the reply above. Thanks.

Thanks! :)

I did consider that and the video mode and hopefully the iso should be better than the listed cameras. But I don't know when they will release it and I feel limited by the lens option...I know there are KM lenses, but I would prefer new things. =/

Hmm. I will be getting a 50mm f1.4 regardless of what I am going to upgrade. That's the fastest I can afford but i would still need to bump up my iso to 1600-3200. I shoot in places that are really dark. I have considered a FF and that is D700 but my budget is around 3k to 3k+. If I were to buy the D700 and a 50mm f1.4, I don't have any money left to buy something like a tripod or a dry cabinet already.

Please refer to the reply above. Thanks.

Thanks! :)
woah... where are you shooting? In a cinema? nightclub? tunnel?

If it is really dark, even an f/1.4 lens and a relatively high-ISO capable body might not be enough.
... you've stirred my curiosity... I wonder what it is you're shooting, and where.

so... you currently have a Sony DSLR but no tripod or dry cabinet?

woah... where are you shooting? In a cinema? nightclub? tunnel?

If it is really dark, even an f/1.4 lens and a relatively high-ISO capable body might not be enough.
... you've stirred my curiosity... I wonder what it is you're shooting, and where.

so... you currently have a Sony DSLR but no tripod or dry cabinet?

I have a tripod but it is those kinda freebies you know. I don't have a dry cabinet now.

hey relax bro. I shoot at places with really poor lighting like those ambient light. I shot with a 1.8 lens before and needed to bump my iso up to 3200 which was really noisy, and shutter speed was as slow as 1/20.

have you thought about getting a flash instead?

even with my d700 and f1.4, i still hate to crank up iso above 3200.

have you thought about getting a flash instead?

even with my d700 and f1.4, i still hate to crank up iso above 3200.

Hmm. Personally, I don't like using flash, prefer using natural light and during some events, flashes are not preferred. I am no professional btw. just an amateur. so getting a d700 might not worth it.

Hmm. Personally, I don't like using flash, prefer using natural light and during some events, flashes are not preferred. I am no professional btw. just an amateur. so getting a d700 might not worth it.

nihao, i guess it comes down to personal preference. when i first started out, my preference was shooting with natural light with the warm look. over the years, i have moved away from being too warm.

nihao, i guess it comes down to personal preference. when i first started out, my preference was shooting with natural light with the warm look. over the years, i have moved away from being too warm.

the reason being? :)

the reason being? :)

reason is it's too warm for my liking. esp when i started covering events, those photos will be thrown out by the clients. using a flash is a test of your control of the environment.

reason is it's too warm for my liking. esp when i started covering events, those photos will be thrown out by the clients. using a flash is a test of your control of the environment.

Well.. that's very true.... :)

Well.. that's very true.... :)

the challenge is to get the right color balance. once you have mastered that then you can break it as and when you think it is appropriate.

the challenge is to get the right color balance. once you have mastered that then you can break it as and when you think it is appropriate.

Okay, thanks for the advice. :)

Not sure if K7 is the best choice for you since you need ultimate low light performance. I would personally use up to ISO1600 without hesitation, 3200 only occasionally (YMMV of course). The D90 would not buy you much mileage in that department either. A K7 excels in what is able to offer at a good price point (a very competent camera with shake Reduction, weather seal, fast access buttons, magnesium alloy body, Pentax smc and lens backward compatibility).
What you might need is really a newer sensor and NR reduction algorithm body (Kx, A550, 7D), with much higher ISO settings. Else it will have to be a FF camera.

Between the 2, the K-7 is the better camera (by a large margin btw), but seriously, if you really need high ISO performance, consider a full frame camera. Difference in noise performance of today aps-c bodies is minimal at best.