I need some advice on capturing sunrise/sunset photos

Da an

Feb 11, 2012
Need advice on my picture :sweat:

What can i improve on??:bigeyes:

photostream

Help you post the pic

6780140330_bb63fd0925_z.jpg

I suck at landscapes so leave for the experts to comment.

Last edited:
Help you post the pic

6780140330_bb63fd0925_z.jpg

I suck at landscapes so leave for the experts to comment.

Thanks! Could u teach me how to post? So i can post myself in the future without having to trouble anyone!

Da an said:
Thanks! Could u teach me how to post? So i can post myself in the future without having to trouble anyone!

You have to copy the image URL instead of the page URL. The image URL should end with a .jpg

Hi, Here's a tip,if there is HDR( high dynamic range) processing in your camera,use it or use HDR software like Photomix.Topaz or many others.
Please read camera manual or google online for more info.

Hi, To add further,exposure wise there is nothing wrong with it.We live on an island city so lanscape wise we don't see much of the usual
sunrise/sunset scenery here accept rooftops and HDB housing.You can make it interesting by having a near foreground subject like a tree/trunk
or some other nearfield subject that can be lit by flash instead of those that are near infinity because there are no mountain landscape with
interesting greenery or forest.That provides some contrast against the red hue of the sun.Alternatively if there are clouds it will reflect more of
the red (magenta) hue making it more warm subjectively.Timing is another factor to take into account,you may have to visit the place early to
get the right moment or effect like a sunrise just about to break out of the horizon thereby the light angle is such that it highlights the dust in the
air giving a nice hazy effect.Have to experment,good luck.Again HDR techniques are key to better photos under such circumstances.

what do you want to achieve with the photo?

TS,

There are 2 major areas you need to learn.

1. Learn how to work your camera to attain what you want. Know how your camera works, how the sensor captures light. From there, learn the techniques to capture the very wide dynamic ranges of a sunset/sunrise into a single image. You will also need to learn some PP techniques.

2. Artistic vision and composition. Just having a perfect technical execution is only half of the story. You also need to be able to compose your scenes well to make good pictures. You also need to have some sort of artistic vision to make great pictures. The following article is a good start. Although it is meant for landscape paintings, the concepts are the same. So comb through it and learn. So when you setup up your camera to shoot next time, try to think of the concepts and apply them.
Photography Composition Articles: Landscape Composition Rules.

Hi, You might like to try a low cost HDR technique other than software which is called the black card/cloth method.Search CS member
Scintillation in the landscape section for examples of blackcloth in page19.

Hanjié's Blog: Black card photography Part I
Hanjié's Blog: Black Card Photography II - Fireworks
http://icelandaurora.com/blog/2010/07/20/tonys-magic-cloth-technitechnique/

I like to thank Da an for asking the question because comments from Hanjia's blog about HDR software output does not look photographically real
made me realise the special quality of natural light as compared to manmade artificial light like an electronic flash,the intensity of flash makes for
a harsh picture but natural light's intensity is just only bright.I see the light now.

Last edited:
Hi, You might like to try a low cost HDR technique other than software which is called the black card/cloth method.Search CS member
Scintillation in the landscape section for examples of blackcloth in page19.

Hanjié's Blog: Black card photography Part I
Hanjié's Blog: Black Card Photography II - Fireworks
http://icelandaurora.com/blog/2010/07/20/tonys-magic-cloth-technitechnique/

I like to thank Da an for asking the question because comments from Hanjia's blog about HDR software output does not look photographically real
made me realise the special quality of natural light as compared to manmade artificial light like an electronic flash,the intensity of flash makes for
a harsh picture but natural light's intensity is just only bright.I see the light now.

Black card technique requires understanding of exposure well, and at many occasions, require the use of ND filters to extend the exposure long enough to be able to pull this off successfully. I would not recommend this before the rest of the basics are solid. There are also GND filters, which basically does the same thing, but black card does give you greater flexibility if you know what you are doing but at the cost of higher margin of error.

Last edited: