i need kodachrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

weeteck

Feb 13, 2004
hi i need kodachrome, the time tested ever faithful slide film which is no longer on sale in singapoore and hk. is there anyone who is thionking of mail ordering from adorama or B & H? if so i dont mind 'tompang maybe 20 rolls. i am very uncomfortable and not familiar with mail orders thanks

weeteck said:
hi i need kodachrome, the time tested ever faithful slide film which is no longer on sale in singapoore and hk. is there anyone who is thionking of mail ordering from adorama or B & H? if so i dont mind 'tompang maybe 20 rolls. i am very uncomfortable and not familiar with mail orders thanks
Then how are you going to process them? (Don't think they are E-6 process). Mail them back to US or Oz?

Actually mail order is quite safe if the merchant is a trusted one.

Second to Isisaxon. My question to you is how are you going to have your Kodachrome films in process? You cannot use E-6 processing, because they are different from other transparency films. From my understanding, there are only three labs in the world that process Kodachrome film, United States, United Kingdom and Australia.

Even during my years at RIT (Rochester, New York), I dare not use Kodachrome. It was not because I couldn't find a lab to process them (The Kodak Company world headquarter is just about 5 miles away from the RIT campus), but the processing was very expensive like US$12 a roll. And that was about 5 years ago. I am sure it costs more to have such film processed now.

I don't see the point unless you are willing to pay.

i usually buy kodachrome during my travels from 2 sources
1. tokyo - yodabashi. there the kodachrome price does not include processing and i then send to dwaynes photo in kansas city USA to develop the film, something like USD 12 dollars per roll. i put like USD 6o dollars from the chettiar in a registered envelope and mail it to dwaynes and the roll comes back about 3 weeks later. done this several times.
2. zurich- fotoganz in bahnhofstrasse . there they usually have special offer where the film price includes developing n i send the roll to lucerne with no money involved.

trouble is i have not been travelling to these places and have exhausted my kodachrome supply

agreed that kodachrome is slightly more expensive than developing fujichrome hence i use it only for precious photos not the play play shots

my father in law, a keen photographer, keeps his kodachrome slides in a dry cabinet and those shot 50 years ago looks as though they were taken yesterday!!

my kodachrome slides of 20+ years are fungus free and maintain their brilliant vibrant colour n when projected on a white screen 3 by 2.5 m by a slide projector gives much much better quality images than photos shot by my 12 megapixel digicam using a digital projector hence u can understand why i a sticking to kodachome for my precioustravel photos

gtan said:
my kodachrome slides of 20+ years are fungus free and maintain their brilliant vibrant colour n when projected on a white screen 3 by 2.5 m by a slide projector gives much much better quality images than photos shot by my 12 megapixel digicam using a digital projector hence u can understand why i a sticking to kodachome for my precioustravel photos
Hey come on! You cannot reproduce a 12mp digital image through a 1.2mp SXGA digital priojector!! It's just not a fair comparison!

Post note: You can however, use a 3x3 or 4x4 array of properly calibrated high dynamic range SXGA projectors and align them so that they form a large image, then split your 12mp image into 9 or 16 parts so that each portion can be projected by each projector at its native resolution, like this, I am quite sure the 12mp image will beat your Kodakchrome slide flat! :) But this kind of setup is going to be really expensive!! A good slide projector is barely $2k.

sweat100 said:
The processing mailer from BH photo ia US$8.99.....
The last time I sent my transparency films for processing at A&I Lab (the one that BH is using) was a disaster! I lost a quarter roll to unknown stains and water blotches. I decided not to use them anymore.

thanks for the advice. could you tell me the detailed set up of this slide projector system and its cost?

gtan said:
thanks for the advice. could you tell me the detailed set up of this slide projector system and its cost?
The array of projectors alone will cost you $30k, the controller system will cost another $10k. Not including the power supply wiring for 9 or 16 projectors.. etc.. :p

Here is a company which does this kind of display. http://www.heyewall.de/index.DE.php?page=technologie&lang=EN

I don't know how much it will cost but sure looks impressive in the gallery.

Status
Not open for further replies.