I Need Immediate Tutor From All The Shifu!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeobt

May 23, 2007
my coy is running on a very big A&A project for a govt job now.
to cut the stroy short, instead of getting a pro fotographer to do all the job, my coy trusted
me so much that they want me to shoot eventhough they knew i'm a beginner. :embrass:

now, i got a problem. the designer says one of the image reso is not high enough for a
BIG mural wall. so i hv to re-shoot, with a high-end gear this time. 5Dmk2. how to make
the image with high reso for blow-up mural? :think:

plz advise.

DSC_9119.jpg

thx, ;)

Using the 5DMkii, shoot in full RAW which is 21mp. Convert it to Tiff file with the highest quality possible. The rest is up to the designer to crop/enlarge to size.

As yeo said... the highest resolution a cam can get is when you take in RAW format, you won't lose any data due to compression or whatever.

I think you should check if they want the raws too, usually I've had friends do a JPEG sample of how they want the photo to turn out then give a JPEG (for reference), TIFF (their editing done and for them to print), and the RAW (in case the lab feels that they need more flexibility or can do a better job) =)

All in all, if you shoot with RAW, give them the RAW and they say resolution ain't high enough... then nothing much that you can do.

Zoom more and shoot a few more photos then use program or manually stitch the multiple photos together into one.

Ask your designer to ask the printer how big, or rather how small, they want the file. I confirm you will be surprised by the answer.

5D Mark II full raw convert to Tiff is around 120mb if I not wrong :bsmilie:

Qn 1: how big is big? (size of mural)

Qn 2: What sort of printing? Some printing/ design out puts do not need the details.

Qn 3: For those on the side of Shopping Centers... You need a Medium Format. Call up Denis from Shriro. He would be able to rent you one.

All in all, if you shoot with RAW, give them the RAW and they say resolution ain't high enough... then nothing much that you can do.

Actually there is more you can do. You can blow it up using image scaling software. The software has algorithms to guesstimate and scale a picture into a bigger size, re-creating details from pixelated areas.

One of these is called Genuine Fractals. Check it out.

Last edited:
use perspective control lenses... with all the adjustments you should be able to stitch an image over 1gigapixel...

it will be easier if you can get more details for the people here to advise u better.

btw u took the pic from the top floor of the mscp?

For large format printing, usually the digital printer uses a DPI of only 150 or even 120. 5D Mark II 21.1MP RAW is equivalent to 475 x 316mm in 300dpi, although at 120dpi it's only 1188 x 792mm – this is the 'optimal' size without visible artefacts when viewed up close. That said, when dealing with anything big like billboards, stage display etc, blowing up (resampling) artwork with artifacts showing is no problem (common in fact) but remember that people viewing this would be meteres away, no one will come close to arm's length.

And no you don't need medium format.

Last edited:
Your coy? :think::think::think:

Definition from dictionary.com:

coy  /kɔɪ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [koi] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, verb
–adjective
1. artfully or affectedly shy or reserved; slyly hesitant; coquettish.
2. shy; modest.
3. showing reluctance, esp. when insincere or affected, to reveal one's plans or opinions, make a commitment, or take a stand: The mayor was coy about his future political aspirations.
4. Archaic. disdainful; aloof.
5. Obsolete. quiet; reserved.
–verb (used without object)
6. Archaic. to act in a coy manner.
–verb (used with object) Obsolete.
7. to quiet; soothe.
8. to pat; caress

i just did a bus ad, the resolution for buses is 30dpi, so you don't really need that hi res, it depends on the application and printing media
ask the person doing the printing for their requirements

i just did a bus ad, the resolution for buses is 30dpi, so you don't really need that hi res, it depends on the application and printing media
ask the person doing the printing for their requirements
....exactly. There ya go, 30dpi. In our agency, if we're working on A1 posters with InDesign or AI, we're not even working at the actual size but half cuz native resolution for these software is 300dpi but large format 150dpi suffice, hence, half the dimension. A1 working at A2. No human is stopping you for working at 300dpi for large format but your computer will.

Last edited:
first of all, thanks for the valueable input. i've read them all with deep appreciation. truely!

i've taken some shots this evening and will be there again tomorrow morning before the sun
coming out for his duty. and yes, i was on the top level of the MSCP.

got the 5dm2 today, and is really a killing machine. (on a noob hands) :cry:

DSC_9648.jpg

when i use my D70 to shoot this pic, my son says "daddy, why your's is so small??!!!" :bheart:

Your coy? :think::think::think:

Definition from dictionary.com:

coy  /kɔɪ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [koi] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, verb
–adjective
1. artfully or affectedly shy or reserved; slyly hesitant; coquettish.
2. shy; modest.
3. showing reluctance, esp. when insincere or affected, to reveal one's plans or opinions, make a commitment, or take a stand: The mayor was coy about his future political aspirations.
4. Archaic. disdainful; aloof.
5. Obsolete. quiet; reserved.
–verb (used without object)
6. Archaic. to act in a coy manner.
–verb (used with object) Obsolete.
7. to quiet; soothe.
8. to pat; caress

it's shorthand for company.

Status
Not open for further replies.