i need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charm8

Feb 17, 2009
hey guys!

i will be heading over to sentosa to take some pictures../

What is the recommended setting? ( ISO , Shutter speed Etc etc. )

worried that the sun will destroy my picture.. too bright.. haha

:)

Photography subjects aside, depends on the time of day right?
Timing like mid-day will make it hard with harsh lighting.

Setting will depend on the lighting condition. How to tell you which setting to use when we are not even there to see how's the lighting condition. Use P mode if you're unsure.

hey guys!

keep the lens cap on. sun cannot destroy your camera with that. LOL :bsmilie:

come on seriously, why worry about the sun, so long as you are not pointing at the sun with your camera, you should be ok.

Unless your question is how to take sunset photo, then that is another question altogether.
Please ask proper question so you get proper answer. OK? :)

professional mode...........

seriously,we cant help you at all
lighting conditions differ
how are we suppose to know what ISO,shutter speed u should use:confused:

different time of day, different lighting conditions, different subject

how to help?

Last edited:
Maybe you start reading and learning? Beside P mode you need to know what your camera is doing and how to set your camera to achieve certain things. Read the manual properly and also this Newbies Guide to Photography. Alternatively you can attend a basic photography course. Be specific with your questions to get specific and exact answers.

hey guys!

Erm. May I suggest you start by learning how to use your camera and read the manual? Then maybe try using Auto mode first.

Read up on the basics of photography. Read the guides in the newbies section, online, and borrow a book on it. Learn how to use your camera's meter. Learn how ISO, aperture and shutter speed relate to exposure.

Alright Guys! Thanks for the help, i'll go research on it..

Sentosa is such a special place that is not easy to be taken images off by a digital camera. You need a special camera, the shutter speed should be at least 1/50,000 sec, and preferably use aperture F125

Hong Sien

And don't forget to bring along extra memory card.

Hi Yah Octarine is right. You may want to .read up and understand the basic. Go check out this very comprehensive easy to follow basic .Newbies Guide to Photography.

Hey wat camera you using?

Anyway. As for me I'll just set the ISO to auto.

And switch to Aperture priority or (Av or A mode :D) The camera will control the shutter speed.

Just adjust the aperture, small number e.g f2.8,3.5.... allow more light into camera and its suitable for focusing close up subject and get that cool out of focus blury background.
Set it to higher number e.g f8,f10,f16..... (small aperture hole) = suitable for landscape and all round focusing subject and background.

I would also set the white balance to cloudy, even on sunny day to give me the warm and slight amber tone. :)

Still catch no ball?? Set to P (program) mode and let the camera decide the rest. read , go out and shoot or learn from experience photographers in outings. theres many such outings.

You may need to do trial and error to get the right exposure.you may not get it overnight. be patient. and let experience be your teacher. ANd have fun doing it.:)

Using a D90, Thanks Guys. Hopefully i wouldn't rain :(

Just set it to 'P' mode and shoot in RAW file settings. Err, you know how to process RAW files right?

All the best and have FUN later today!

general settings.

iso usually i leave it on Auto between 100-400. F5.6 to F8 usually for snapshots. For landscape on very sunny day, a CPL is handy to have.

also underexpose purposely if scene is still too bright or dont have a CPL.

Went to Sentosa yesterday with one of the charming gal in CS, she's learning but she used P her outcome/perspective was like a winner. Why do you worry?

How about using Auto?? If your camera WB is very good, then go for auto. Computer programing already inside and calculating for you everything you need. ISO, SHutter, Aperture and WB.

But how are you going to learn in Auto. Well, just look at how the camera work. Shoot and see what setting does the camera take. Well, play by calculations; trial and error. If you reduce the aperture, what will happen. Always ask how. And maybe before you head down to sentosa, go to national lib to borrow a book on basic photography. As you read, practice it at sentosa. Out of 20 shoots, you sure will get 10-15 shoots the one you like. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.