I need help on my photo that turns out to be unrecognizable

iamdaboy

Dec 20, 2011
Does anyone here experience the same problem i am having right now?

I'm using a D300s and 70-300 sigma lens in full manual mode but the photo turns out to be like this so disappointing.

I need your help on what caused and how to resolve this if you are having same issue.

thank you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveroll/7821473204/in/photostream/

photostream

Last edited:
looks like corrupt file. either you did not download the photo completely or the your memory card had some write issues.

Do a reformat of your memory card, or get a new card. What brand/type is it?

Thank you for the reply, so this is from the memory card not from the camera itself?

usually before i go out shooting, i will reformat the memory card first..so i was just wondering why i am getting this photo.

i am using a sandisk Ultra CF 30mb/s 8gb card.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply, so this is from the memory card not from the camera itself?

usually before i go out shooting, i will reformat the memory card first..so i was just wondering why i am getting this photo.

i am using a sandisk Ultra CF 30mb/s 8gb card.

sandisk rarely got fail errors.

u can still view the photos via your cam? if so then try download the photos again?

unfortunately i already reformated the card..when the time i haven't transfered the photos into the pc from the camera LCD it look ok, no problem at all its just when i transfered the files into lightroom that i get this photo.

unfortunately i already reformated the card..when the time i haven't transfered the photos into the pc from the camera LCD it look ok, no problem at all its just when i transfered the files into lightroom that i get this photo.

1) If you are using desktop PC,it could be faulty video card.Check VGA connectors.

2) Try another card reader,maybe contacts not that good.Clean them if you can.Check USB connectors.
3) Try CF memory again.It could have end of shelf life.

Could be corruption of RAW data. The LCD display only shows the small embedded jpg file.
Use a recent branded card reader (same brand as your cards), connect to PC. Select the option to format the card and uncheck the option 'Quick Format'. Get a kopi, it will take a bit. If no errors come up, it looks promising. If you get any errors here, throw the card. For additional confirmation you can copy a large amount of data to the card, filling it up to 80 or more (but not 100% please). Then copy everything back to PC. If this works, your card is fine and it was just a hiccup of the old-fashioned FAT file system. Any funky errors here, best to throw the card.

Thank you for the reply.

i will try all of your suggestion guys..i format the card and it seem fine, no errors at all only when i import the pictures to lightroom then i will have this problem, i mean not all the pictures, say i have 500 shots, 3-5 pictures having this problem but when i tried using different viewer it came out just fine. is it during the import to lightoom that this problem happens?

What is your card reader brand? How about the USB cable?

It could be card problem, it could also be card reader with bad pins or usb cable with bad connection.

Other viewing programs could be showing you a 'jpeg preview' only, but Lightroom usually analyse the file when previews are rendered and thus LR reports the real problem of the file.

Harddisk failing?

Thank you for the reply.

i will try all of your suggestion guys..i format the card and it seem fine, no errors at all only when i import the pictures to lightroom then i will have this problem, i mean not all the pictures, say i have 500 shots, 3-5 pictures having this problem but when i tried using different viewer it came out just fine. is it during the import to lightoom that this problem happens?

You have to troubleshoot systematically.Say the card reader.
1 )The usb standard is not a strict one so there is variability
across different readers.

2) If reader is ok then check if you are using the lastest RAW camera driver for lightroom or reload the driver,could
be corrupted.

3 ) 3-5 out of 500 pics could mean pc memory problems,could be harddisk or pc ram.Try cleaning ram (dimm) connectors with a soft erasor and installing it back in the slots.

Good luck. :)

Copy the files problematic files to your PC. Does it work? Import again from there just to try, does it work?
If the import from local hard disk works, just copy the file to the import target directory and do a 'refresh directory' in LR, it will import from there. If nothing works then the file got screwed during writing. Forget it.