I need help on Graphic cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

kit_fisto

May 25, 2005
At home
Hey guys. I thinking of getting a new AGP graphic card. Anything to recomend? thought of getting the ATi radeon 9250, but my fren says its not worth it. BTW, i'm not so much into playing games on the PC. maybe older games, but not newer ones

9250 is pretty cheap now... and its a older technology.. u can get x series (sub 1000 series) for a relatively cheap price (compared with the 1000series)

if u wan, try to get 9600 or 9800 series, as 9200series is considered the low end version during that time where 9600 & 9800 was out together... it should be around the same price now...

i just check the price. 9250 is $58, the 9600 is abt $100. not sure leh...haiz money no enough

kit_fisto said:
Hey guys. I thinking of getting a new AGP graphic card. Anything to recomend? thought of getting the ATi radeon 9250, but my fren says its not worth it. BTW, i'm not so much into playing games on the PC. maybe older games, but not newer ones

Since you're not a gamer, I strongly recommend Matrox.

x series is PCI express leh.

good value for money chips now

Geforce 6600GT
Ati 9600XT
Ati 9800 Pro

shd be around $300

Get a good branded ATi 9600XT, good enough for your regular computing needs as well as some DX9a games.

If you want one better than 9600XT, then suggest you to get a nVidia's 6600GT, S$255. Unless you are a hardcore gamers. Then you probably won't ask the above question liao. :)

Hope this helps.

kit_fisto said:
i just check the price. 9250 is $58, the 9600 is abt $100. not sure leh...haiz money no enough
If you know your budget then you can narrow down your choice.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
9250 is pretty cheap now... and its a older technology.. u can get x series (sub 1000 series) for a relatively cheap price (compared with the 1000series)

if u wan, try to get 9600 or 9800 series, as 9200series is considered the low end version during that time where 9600 & 9800 was out together... it should be around the same price now...

DCA currently i am using the 9250, if i upgrade to 9800 will processing of PS be faster or just for game only.:think:

kit_fisto said:

What card do you currently have? If not into playing PC games, then the most basic card will do. Anyway, since you are not into PC games, what is the main reason for upgrading your card?

soma said:
DCA currently i am using the 9250, if i upgrade to 9800 will processing of PS be faster or just for game only.:think:
The card you mentioned 9250 or 9800 upwards are built more critically for 3D rendering found in computer 3D games and if you are designing 3D objects...etc. Your card has a GPU ( Graphic processor unit) that does all the computation for texture mapping, bump map, 3D polygon drawing using drivers like OpenGL..etc.

Photoshop deals with pictures bitmaps (2D images) uses your CPU to crunch number when you edit. So the more powerful a CPU and overall system resources you have, the faster it processes your picture edting. The only thing on a SVGA card that will help your PS is the ramdac speed. That concerns how fast the redrawing of your 2D image to your PC screen. How well the card will handle 16bit, 24bit or 32bit colour display and yes work with the monitor to give you the best refresh rate too.

My office PC which I use for designing ( Photoshop), I am still using a 4 yrs old Matrox G450 with built in 64mb of ram and it is still pretty fast at delivery the images to my screen.

soma said:

the 2D core still the same, so dun think any diff (or negligible)... for 3D will feel the difference...

kit_fisto said:

If not a gamer, then any entry-level AGP card is good enough.

sammy888 said:
The card you mentioned 9250 or 9800 upwards are built more critically for 3D rendering found in computer 3D games and if you are designing 3D objects...etc. Your card has a GPU ( Graphic processor unit) that does all the computation for texture mapping, bump map, 3D polygon drawing using drivers like OpenGL..etc.

Photoshop deals with pictures bitmaps (2D images) uses your CPU to crunch number when you edit. So the more powerful a CPU and overall system resources you have, the faster it processes your picture edting. The only thing on a SVGA card that will help your PS is the ramdac speed. That concerns how fast the redrawing of your 2D image to your PC screen. How well the card will handle 16bit, 24bit or 32bit colour display and yes work with the monitor to give you the best refresh rate too.

My office PC which I use for designing ( Photoshop), I am still using a 4 yrs old Matrox G450 with built in 64mb of ram and it is still pretty fast at delivery the images to my screen.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thank !!!

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
the 2D core still the same, so dun think any diff (or negligible)... for 3D will feel the difference...

Thank you! If you need new avatar tell me can rent you some...:bsmilie: :bsmilie:
Time to change liao la..

soma said:
Thank you! If you need new avatar tell me can rent you some...:bsmilie: :bsmilie:
Time to change liao la..

your avatar suxs... i prefer to take mine myself... but til now, still haven see angelina jolie's pic...

got my card last night, power colour ati radeon 9550 for $95. time to do some 3ds max. my old graphic really sucks man

For 3DS MAX, nVidia cards are the best to buy as their OpenGL drivers are MUCH MUCH better, faster and more stable compared with any other brands.

kit_fisto said:
got my card last night, power colour ati radeon 9550 for $95. time to do some 3ds max. my old graphic really sucks man

Woah...heheh..you totally forgot to mention that when you asked the question earlier heh.. if you mention 3D Max...the cards suggestion might have gone in a difference direction heheh. 3D rendering is both CPU and GPU intensive. heheh....

icic, anyway i bought it already. quite happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.