I need help! I don't know what's wrong with my camera. Don't troll.

Edison Ang

Jun 2, 2011
Help! I don't know what happened, I was shooting some pictures and suddenly this brownish random tint appears in my images!

My LCD screen also suddenly flickers (Like a spoilt television) when I go too close to the subject.

Is it a lens, camera, or battery problem (Battery quite low)

Just want to know if it needs servicing or is it something I'm doing wrong? It has never done this before even at low battery.

(I'm using a 35mm 1.8G prime lens. Nikon 5100)

Here are the pictures with the problem

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc390/Edison_Ang/DSC_0611.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc390/Edison_Ang/DSC_0615.jpg

Just took a pic without the lens. Brown hue is there. So probably not a lens problem. What can it be?

the usual suspect,
shooting high shutter speed with florescent lighting,

shooting at florescent lighting using slower than 1/50sec it should be fine.

Thanks dude I think you're quite spot on. My office indeed has fluorescent lighting and my shutter speed was more than 1/200. Went to google this problem and realised it might be mine as well.

Thanks dude learnt smth new.!

Yup. Fluorescent light flickers at around twice the cycle of the alternating current (singapore AC is 50 cycles a second), which means the florescent light flickers at 100 cycles a second. So a 1/50s shutter speed will ensure you do not catch the flicker in between.

Some special tubes cycle much faster and those are usually smaller tubes installed into reading lights.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies! Very informative. Something i think is rarely known? Haha

Thanks for all the replies! Very informative. Something i think is rarely known? Haha

Actually it is quite common knowledge. That is why students are not advised to study or read under normal fluorescent lights as the flicker is bad for the eyes in the long run as it can cause fatigue and other problems. That is also why reading lamps now comes with very high flicker flourescent blubs, so as reduce the problems to the eye.

Wah thanks for the information! This is also new to me. (I thought fluorescent light is ok if it's bright enough)

Wah thanks for the information! This is also new to me. (I thought fluorescent light is ok if it's bright enough)

Some people use florescent light tubes for studio lighting. In cases like these, set shutter speed to 1/50 and you will be fine.