I need a Pocket PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadus

Jan 17, 2002
HWZ?
mylife.clubsnap.org
Starting to discover PPC as a great device to show digital photos to friends. Additional benefits of it being able to wirelessly surf and of coz PIM.

Anyone forumers here can recommend some great sites. Looking to purchase a 2nd hand unit. Best if some forumers here wants to sell their PPC. Wireless & bluetooth appreciated!!!

why pocket pc? it crashes like no tomorrow.

you should take a look at the new palm t|x.

also, www.spug.net might be useful.

I've had my Pocket PC for more than a year and it has only crashed once IIRC and that was due to some program incompatibility. I've never had to hard reset it which is more than I can say for the various Palm devices I have owned over the years...

PPC batt life is rather short. I'm using a Dell X50 for developing software purpose and the batt last approx 1hr++ if WiFi turned on and surfing net continously.

For photo viewing, its best to get one with a CF card slot and a VGA screen. The dell x51v should be good, or u can look for second hand x50v. :)

Denosha said:
I've had my Pocket PC for more than a year and it has only crashed once IIRC and that was due to some program incompatibility. I've never had to hard reset it which is more than I can say for the various Palm devices I have owned over the years...

that's a one in a million occurances then. it's unanimous that palm devices are more stable, and not to mention more user-friendly.

anyway I'm not here to deter shadus from getting a ppc, but just to inform him of the choices available.

oh ya. that's one impt aspect that I forgot. if your camera uses a CF card, yes go with a ppc. cuz no palm devices today support CF cards, except for the old clies.

yo yo.... lets not go into palm versus PPC debate..haha. though...
yes, palm OS is more stable *in general*. and most impt, palm device seems to consume less power and hence result in longer batt life.

But, hv my reasons to go with PPC. though i must admit, very tempted by the new palm t|x. Anyway, i'm looking for a 2nd hand PPC unit.

I've no preference for storage format since i've nearly all formats except MMC & Transflash (is tht wht motorola calls it?)

I've had my fair share of PPC vs Palm more than 5 years ago. Proof? Search HWZ under my name.

Frankly, Palm has become outdated. Garnet? Cobalt? Linux? BeOS? Their strategy is in disarray; much worse than 5 years ago. LifeDrive? :rolleyes: Some comments on the net that you have to hard reset it every 24 hours for it to remain stable! If I want 4GB, I can get a MD and put into my CF slot. Several PPC has both CF and SD slot with BT and WiFi + VGA screen.

They have no future, only their smart phone solution has any chance of surviving the next 5. Who else is making PalmOS for them now? No Sony nor any major third party. Try surfing and playing avi file at the same time. I'm not the only one saying this

Back to topic, the main 2 PPC makes are HP and Dell. Occasionally, HP has some very good offers for end of model. Keep an eye out.

U can consider the following models:

Acer N50
Dell X51v - now got offer by Dell selling $689 till 6 Jan 06
HP Hx2000 series - Ipaq have good batt life.

;)

You can get any but not O2mini.... i got 3time restart 10time hang and cannot send chinese sms coz must buy software...... get a normal phone will do or get a normal computer or get yourself a powerbook G4 ......

:p

koolz said:
For photo viewing, its best to get one with a CF card slot and a VGA screen. The dell x51v should be good, or u can look for second hand x50v. :)

I've got x51v and the most often used button is the reset button.. every time you "turn-on" the device you'll need 40+ secs.

I've compared the photo display with sony's PSP.. sony seemed better.:sweat:

Watcher said:
Frankly, Palm has become outdated. Garnet? Cobalt? Linux? BeOS? Their strategy is in disarray; much worse than 5 years ago. LifeDrive? :rolleyes: Some comments on the net that you have to hard reset it every 24 hours for it to remain stable! If I want 4GB, I can get a MD and put into my CF slot. Several PPC has both CF and SD slot with BT and WiFi + VGA screen.

They have no future, only their smart phone solution has any chance of surviving the next 5. Who else is making PalmOS for them now? No Sony nor any major third party. Try surfing and playing avi file at the same time. I'm not the only one saying this

yes, palm has been in fact been churning out crap for the past few years, apart from the treo smartphones.

yes, pocket pcs have relatively advanced hardware most of the times.

however, the very essence of palm still remains - that is of simplicity and usability. you can emulate palm applications on a ppc, but you don't get palm os on a ppc.

and I believe the t|x is something that palm has finally gotten right - though a little late.

if a pocket pc suits your needs and if you like it, go for it.

schon said:
why pocket pc? it crashes like no tomorrow.

you should take a look at the new palm t|x.

also, www.spug.net might be useful.

Not true, palm can crash too la :bsmilie: btw I was using palm m500 before i changed to a hx4700 in 2004.

The hx4700's 4" screen makes the new Ipod video look like a joke. Comes with SD and CF slot too!
:thumbsup: :heart: :kiss:

I have owned several palm and a few PPCs.

I find generally (in my opinion) , PPCs are more friendly. They are pretty stable. Only need to reboot something like once every few months. PPCs are getting more stable compare to last time.

I will still stick to PPCs for time being.

icarus said:
Not true, palm can crash too la :bsmilie: btw I was using palm m500 before i changed to a hx4700 in 2004.

The hx4700's 4" screen makes the new Ipod video look like a joke. Comes with SD and CF slot too!
:thumbsup: :heart: :kiss:

I too switched from Palm to the HP Ipaq HX4700 in 2004 when it first came out. Never looked back. :thumbsup:

Shadus said:
Starting to discover PPC as a great device to show digital photos to friends. Additional benefits of it being able to wirelessly surf and of coz PIM.

Anyone forumers here can recommend some great sites. Looking to purchase a 2nd hand unit. Best if some forumers here wants to sell their PPC. Wireless & bluetooth appreciated!!!

Based on your requirement here. Your should be able to find 2nd hand PPC instead of 2nd hand Palm.

If your intention is mainly to show photos, make sure you get one with a good screen, compare them side by side. Do not just depend on the pixel count as an indicator, because even though the pixel count may be the same, the brightness, colur contrast and clarity may not. Don't know how stable the system is, but IMO, the Viewsonic PPC had the best screen a few years ago when I was looking for a PDA (BTW I ended up buying an iPaq)

You might also want to consider those dedicated protable storage devices for digital photos that has a good screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.