Can i pre-order?

Please incl dialogue with:
1) Nebermind
2) Ask me for what
3) donoe
4) how i know?

5) veeh nice ah!

Hi

I was having dinner earlier and i heard a guy say "hurry up" my ears pricked up recognising the familiar accent.. then "You go there and stand". I said to my colleague, my fellow countrymen. :bsmilie:

Hi, you're not alone.

A couple of days ago I was @ Lijiang and while I was waiting for my turn to board a cable car to Xueshan, I overheard a man speaking to his two girls ...

Soon my eyes lit up ... it's Singlish! And I had a wonderful chat with him afterwards ... :bsmilie:

u can say i'm a poser for this but after living in uk for 2 1/2 years i think the singlish accent sounds terrible. and the hongkong, indo, etc people agree with me too. i'm not saying we should all adopt a brit or american accent, but i'm sure we can speak better english. singlish is plain wrong english, perpetuated over time like any other colloquial language and slowly legitimised. i agree that it forms a bond among s'poreans. i speak in singlish in s'pore too, because everyone does it, and i miss it from time to time.

but that doesn't hide the fact that it 1. is bad english and 2. sounds terrible.

come to think of it, even our chinese sounds bad. what's wrong with us??? we can do better lah!

*hides behind a flame shield*

shuy said:
u can say i'm a poser for this but after living in uk for 2 1/2 years i think the singlish accent sounds terrible. and the hongkong, indo, etc people agree with me too. i'm not saying we should all adopt a brit or american accent, but i'm sure we can speak better english. singlish is plain wrong english, perpetuated over time like any other colloquial language and slowly legitimised. i agree that it forms a bond among s'poreans. i speak in singlish in s'pore too, because everyone does it, and i miss it from time to time.

but that doesn't hide the fact that it 1. is bad english and 2. sounds terrible.

come to think of it, even our chinese sounds bad. what's wrong with us??? we can do better lah!

*hides behind a flame shield*

Shuy. I kind of agree with you that it sounds "bad" both our Singlish and Singnese and can I add hokkien(have u heard the Penang hokkien? It sounds sexy)

However, this was the way we were brought up (2nd language, Speak Mandarin campaigns). I can speak proper English too but even then, we still retain some Singaporean accent. However like u said, when overseas, u realise that most singaporeans miss Singlish. Correct not 'bang (i.e. abang)

the taiwanese actually manage to make hokkien sound refined!!! ok, slight variation in the language, but still...

i do miss singlish sometimes, but i certainly can do without it. e.g. if i've lived in another country long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.