I messed up my sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willyfoo

Jan 18, 2002
North
willyfoo.com
l bought a visible dust arctic butterfly from CP and was a little over enthusiastic to try picking out my 3 specks that were visible in my sky shots from my recent trip of the grand canyon. Opened the package over dinner, set the cam to M-up, whizzed the butterfly a few times and started heading for the sensor only realising after 2 strokes that it doesn't look like the sensor. Then i recalled that the M-up on the dial is not for cleaning and does not expose the sensor. Didn't think it was a big deal, went to the menu and activated the 'lock mirror up for cleaning'. After a few brushes, i took a test shot and to my horror, the whole sensor was a mess and i'm flying to sydney in 5 hrs for a wedding shoot!

It was 7pm, so i left my food uneaten and rushed back to CP hoping its still open. Luckily they were just about to close but attended to my emergency. Examined under a lighted loupe and saw the most heart wrenching, depressing sight ever. Amongst the smears, i thought i saw a scratch on the surface too.

I was advised to get a sensor swab with the eclipse solution to clean the sensor.

** end of part 1 ***

anybody knows

1. How much does a sensor replacemet cost? (nikon d3)
2. How long does it take to replace?
3. Where is the nikon svc centre in sydney?

From cleaning the anti aliasing filter (or whatever you were cleaning before the sensor) you probably put oil and grease on the arctic butterfly which just transfered to the sensor when you tried to clean that.

Nikon Sydney Service and Repair Centre: 02 8748 5222

Email: info@nikon.com.au

Nikon Australia Head Office (Sydney)
Unit F1, Lidcombe Business Park
3-29 Birnie Avenue
Lidcombe NSW 2141
Postal Address: Locked Bag 2055, Lidcome NSW 1825

wa. it might be the lenses that's dirty?
usu check for lens 1st b4 concluding its the sensor. (cos lenses easier to clean if its the front/back element or filter that's dirty)

anybody knows

1. How much does a sensor replacemet cost? (nikon d3)
2. How long does it take to replace?
3. Where is the nikon svc centre in sydney?

You've probably just transferred grease from the side of the chamber, so try getting Nikon to do a wet clean first, but if you have actually done physical damage, it is not to the sensor that is damaged - just the AA filter sitting in front of the sensor.

Hi willyfoo,

The biggest lesson to learn here is to read the manuals first. I strongly believe the 'scratch' you see is merely the oil marks that probably came from the bristles of the artic butterfly or around the chambers of the camera. To overcome this, you'll need to get some sensor swabs (highly overpriced) and some Eclipse methanol fluid (another overpriced piece of crap) from Cathay. You will have to go through a few wet swabbing and dry swabbing before the the smears are gone.

If you are not confident about doing it yourself, send it in to Nikon Service Centre. gooseberry is correct btw. Most DSLRs comes with a filter in front of the sensor so no big deal there. However, if you insist on changing the front sensor filter, be aware that your sensor might be exposed to dust onto the sensor itself and no amount of swabbing or brushing can get it cleaned.

Hope your problems are sorted out soon. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.