I loved the D60 but D80 is cheap now which should i get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had never had a SLR or DSLR. I tried my gf's D60 and loved it. This link shows some of the pics I took with her D60.. click HERE.. However, I had seen so many reviews on D80 and how it is superior to D60 I am now torn between the 2, esp when the price is so close now for the 2 (looking at prices from the resale market in clubsnap). However I have not held a D80 and dont know how it will feel. I have not however seen any pic to pic comparision of the 2 (quality of picture taken). D80 tech is 3 yrs old, does it measure up to D60? They say D-lighting in D60 is superior to D80, D80 11 point AF is obviously better. My main attraction to D80 is their AF motor, will be able to use AF-D lenses too (cheaper). dont ask me to get a D90, if i can afford i wont have this problem.. haha. What impt is the pic quality I think, with the same setting, will the 2 cameras produce identical quality images? of does the more advance image processing D60 produce better images?
Panpeeya-closeup2-redcarpet-125443670

I am worried now, cause i just read of a D80 error that a few of the D80 users had encountered.. as quoted from one of the post "hardware error caused by aperture control unit - replacement $180, repair $120 by nsc." It seems they all have encountered the error and it seems not to be human error. Luntut, u had a D80, ever had that problem? I dont wanna get a D80 and then spend another 200 to repair it!!

Last edited:
i once bought my other half a D60, when i still had my D80. compared both, D60 ISO performance is about 1 stop better. at least. quality of pics at ISO 200 and below are the same, unless you intend to blow them up 5m by 2m.

you already mentioned it yourself. you prefer a D80 because of the AF motor. so go get it. the D80 is one of the very well rated cameras during its time.

and between the D60 and D80, there is NO reason why you will get lousier pictures with the D80 even though its older technology...

it all lies in the shooter, and making magic with your camera.. making it do what you want it to do...

and btw, to me, even for D300 now, the D-lighting feature is an image killer. never tried D700 or higher models. so i got no idea...

Last edited:
i second the D80, the control and the abililty to AF with non-AFS is a big advantage to D60.

D80 with backward autofocusing compatibility with older non-AFS AF lenses is a significant reason for me to get the D80

Ryan

if u are bothered by the AF motor, just get the D80. don't even need to consider the D60.

both actually roughly the same technology in terms of hardware... if you travel a lot and wanna go light get d60... if you think you'll go crazy in photography, get d80... it would save you a bit for the long run... esp when you're considering lenses to buy...

thanks for the feedback pple.. I am worried now, cause i just read of a D80 error that a few of the D80 users had encountered.. as quoted from one of the post "hardware error caused by aperture control unit - replacement $180, repair $120 by nsc." It seems they all have encountered the error and it seems not to be human error. Luntut, u had a D80, ever had that problem? I dont wanna get a D80 and then spend another 200 to repair it!!

thanks for the feedback pple.. I am worried now, cause i just read of a D80 error that a few of the D80 users had encountered.. as quoted from one of the post "hardware error caused by aperture control unit - replacement $180, repair $120 by nsc." It seems they all have encountered the error and it seems not to be human error. Luntut, u had a D80, ever had that problem? I dont wanna get a D80 and then spend another 200 to repair it!!

i'm still keeping my D80, brought it 2years ago and still working fine.

My vote goes to D80.:)

get the D80, it will take you more time before you long for an upgrade

i vote for D80 too!

A few great reasons why it's "better" than D60:

- 2 dials for controlling aperture and shutter speed simultaneously. can also adjust flash modes/power and fine-tune white balance.
- top LCD screen. can see all the settings at one glance
- my right hand's little pinky finger has nowhere to go on a D60
- ooooooops, did I forget to mention the ability to use Nikon's Advanced Wireless Lighting system by purchasing an SB600 as a remote slave?

i upgraded from a D60 to the D80. Never regretted my decision since then.

My friend is also undecided. Between Nikon 5000D and Canon 500D

Status
Not open for further replies.