"I look fat!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youhong

Dec 30, 2004
Have you guys often encounter the following?
When you take pictures of models/friends etc, then you show them the pictures and they often comment "I look fat!" or "Why you make me look fat?"

I understand that focal length affects this, ie wide angle tends to cause distortion and hence make the subject looks "fatter" in some sense. Also, the angle and positioning of the subject(s) do affect too...

Just curious how you guys make your subjects look "slim" (assuming without using DI)

Tell them you were going more for "voluptuous"

Just curious how you guys make your subjects look "slim" (assuming without using DI)

1) ask her to stand besides a fatter woman
2) ask her to stand besides elephant
3) use WA, stand at 100m away from her and shoot

I usually don't use zoom. :cool: I kena once before from my aunt. I zoomed in and she looked fatter than ever. However that pic is still hanging on the wall at her house now, since she seldom takes photos.

I usually don't use zoom. :cool: I kena once before from my aunt. I zoomed in and she looked fatter than ever. However that pic is still hanging on the wall at her house now, since she seldom takes photos.
But I thought longer focal length will be prefered? Otherwise 50mm, 85mm, 135mm wouldn't be considered as portrait lens already right? Unless you're a pro to use WA...

But I thought longer focal length will be prefered? Otherwise 50mm, 85mm, 135mm wouldn't be considered as portrait lens already right? Unless you're a pro to use WA...

Um... I am not really sure about focal length, bro. But I was still using the old film-type camera at that time. The zoom really made a person look bigger in size, or rather, fatter, when the photo was developed. :confused:

- use wide angle
- tilt body to 1 side
- chin up and no double chin
- cropped body

heh. it's not just photography... most women think they're fat, no matter how much you tell them you love them ;)

- use ultra wide angle
- tilt body to 1 side
- go as close as possible
- focus at her upper arm

show her that picture and hear her scream..

- use ultra wide angle
- tilt body to 1 side
- go as close as possible
- focus at her upper arm

show her that picture and hear her scream..

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Indeed, supposedly, the wider the lens, the "fatter" the subject.

Long lenses are usually prefered to "slim down" the subject.

Make a try : same picture, but with 28 - 35 - 50 - 85 - 100 - 135 - 200 - 300 (of course you have to move to keep the subject having the same size in the pic.

Then decide what you prefer...

you can use wide-angle, instead of landscape, use portrait ;p

To all those that want to feel slim instead of after taking a photo,
consider this:

http://www.hp.com/united-states/consumer/digital_photography/tours/slimming/index_f.html

Quoted from the webpage link above:
They say cameras add ten pounds, but HP digital cameras can help reverse that effect. The slimming feature, available on select HP digital camera models, is a subtle effect that can instantly trim off pounds from the subjects in your photos! :thumbsup:

Humans are hard to please. It's a blessing to hear someone say "I like myself!" And I don't mean that person is super pretty or handsome. I mean the normal looking people. They score a 100 IMHO for self-esteem. Ironically, models may be good-looking, but they tend to think they are ugly and wanna look better. Look what happened to Michael Jackson's face!

Have you guys often encounter the following?
When you take pictures of models/friends etc, then you show them the pictures and they often comment "I look fat!" or "Why you make me look fat?"

I understand that focal length affects this, ie wide angle tends to cause distortion and hence make the subject looks "fatter" in some sense. Also, the angle and positioning of the subject(s) do affect too...

Sounds like a model I know. Wondering if it's the same lady?

Just curious how you guys make your subjects look "slim"

very simple, pose the subject behine something, whatever things, only show little part of the face.

if you can't find something to pose the subject, use your mouth...
#1, "is not my fault, I have a good camera and a expensive lens"
#2, "is not your fault, is already in your gene"

To all those that want to feel slim instead of after taking a photo,
consider this:

http://www.hp.com/united-states/consumer/digital_photography/tours/slimming/index_f.html

Quoted from the webpage link above:
They say cameras add ten pounds, but HP digital cameras can help reverse that effect. The slimming feature, available on select HP digital camera models, is a subtle effect that can instantly trim off pounds from the subjects in your photos! :thumbsup:
Oh my... :sweat:

Sounds like a model I know. Wondering if it's the same lady?
Well, not just one, but many other people...

very simple, pose the subject behine something, whatever things, only show little part of the face.

if you can't find something to pose the subject, use your mouth...
#1, "is not my fault, I have a good camera and a expensive lens"
#2, "is not your fault, is already in your gene"
Not just the body, but also the face... And ya, I want to live longer... I don't want to get killed on the street... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.