I Keep Getting Beep Sounds from my CPU...Whats Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamasaint

Jan 26, 2003
www.lightedpixels.com
Hi guys,

esp you IT experts or enthusiast...=)

I have been getting beeping sound from my CPU...what is the prob?

Should I be alarmed? I am actually....is it the hard disk? I just upgraded it abt 4-6 mths back...

Can someone assist? Also...I actually couldnt start up this morning...had to reset and start again...

I did a virus scan and found a virus which has been removed but is there anything else to take note of?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Kelvin

iamasaint said:
Hi guys,

esp you IT experts or enthusiast...=)

I have been getting beeping sound from my CPU...what is the prob?

Should I be alarmed? I am actually....is it the hard disk? I just upgraded it abt 4-6 mths back...

Can someone assist? Also...I actually couldnt start up this morning...had to reset and start again...

I did a virus scan and found a virus which has been removed but is there anything else to take note of?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Kelvin

what is the name of the virus ? Some hard disk might have alter the boot sector of the hard disk pri partition ... may not detect the hard disk ..

Beep sounds during bootup(POST) or during operation?

During operation unlikely to get beeps, more of thermal or voltage sirens.

Check out the type of BIOS that your motherboard uses(Award/Phoenix/AMI) and reference them here:
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

What did u upgrade?
It is likely hardware if the beep happens before Win loads.

Need more info.

Go to this page to identify the beep.
http://www.firstaidforcomputers.com/article.php?article=72&giveme=HOWTO

It helped me to diagnose the problem with my graphics card the last time. Since changing it I've no such start-up problem anymore. Many things could be wrong with your computer. Hope this helps. Btw, how did you write in when you've computer problem? ;)

oceanxp said:
what is the name of the virus ? Some hard disk might have alter the boot sector of the hard disk pri partition ... may not detect the hard disk ..

Hi this is the pesky virus...

W32.Netsky.P@mm Havent read abt it tho....gonna do that now

Thanks

Zerstorer said:
Beep sounds during bootup(POST) or during operation?

During operation unlikely to get beeps, more of thermal or voltage sirens.

Check out the type of BIOS that your motherboard uses(Award/Phoenix/AMI) and reference them here:
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

Hi guys,

thanks for the amazingly fast response...it beeps after startup... after windows have loaded. Not too sure abt the frequency. I havent quite paid attention...I will now

ob1canob said:
Go to this page to identify the beep.
http://www.firstaidforcomputers.com/article.php?article=72&giveme=HOWTO

It helped me to diagnose the problem with my graphics card the last time. Since changing it I've no such start-up problem anymore. Many things could be wrong with your computer. Hope this helps. Btw, how did you write in when you've computer problem? ;)

Hi...everything functions well... as i type now... I am actually still doing my photoshop. Its just that there is this beeping sound which appeared abt 3 weeks ago... it comes on intermittently....no harm done so far tho (touchwood)...could be another famous last word!

hahaha

evq said:
What did u upgrade?
It is likely hardware if the beep happens before Win loads.

Need more info.

I upgraded the whole Lot!! Except my old hard disk which i kept and my DVD writer (which has now since been removed)

i am no expert in this. i experienced beeping sounds from my dell cpu. learned from the helpdesk person, to check the back of the cpu for lighted A B C D. if any one is not lighted up, it could be cards eg, ram, video, etc is not seated properly. remove it and reseat it again.

iamasaint said:
I upgraded the whole Lot!! Except my old hard disk which i kept and my DVD writer (which has now since been removed)

Beeping usually are alarms for hardware failure.
Check ur fans. Maybe cpu, graphic card temp is too high etc.

Some ClubSnap users said it's hardware related, and they are probably right.

I had this beeping problem before, and the beep may come on even before Windows loads. It was because the fan had broken down.

If it's also your fan that has failed, you should observe slow performance on your computer as it heats up. Replace the fan quickly before other circuits/boards in your computer are affected. Capacitors swell up in the heat and may explode.

must be terrorist, a bomb to be activated while doing photoshop.............

did u upgrade the casing n power supply as well? if your old pc was... old, n u upgrade into a higher end... power supply may not be enough. 350W and above is recommended with P4 and some mid-hi range graphic cards. Normally new casing comes with 280-300W power supply so may need to replace the PS again.

check out your mobo manual ..
u can troubleshoot the problem as theres a whole list to it.

ie. 3long beep followed by 2 short beep - graphic card error ..
etc ..

might be your ram..

Its a thermal problem, to confirm, open casing blow fan into it while doing your work, beeping should disappear.

if the beep comes out from the CPU unit's small speaker and not your normal speakers listening music, refer to your motherboard's manual.

thanks guys... I will check out the motherboard and fan...actually, i am just going to open up my cpu and take a look. The beeping seems to have gone. I need to find a pattern...i believe it could be overheating... i sometimes leave my comp running two days in a row. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.