I just got the K10D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

finclk

May 3, 2007
It all started with my old Canon A80 finally dying in China. Arriving home, I knew I had to get a new camera, but which one? I have never touched DSLRs although was having alot of fun fiddling around with my A80. There were just so many functions, switches, formats, modes, shooting styles that I wasn't sure whether it would be too overwhelming.

Nonetheless, I think it's finally to be brave and just take the plunge into DSLRs as I've always enjoyed looking at great photographs and wondering how such nice effects are done.

I asked around, looked online and came across clubsnap. Great resource for tips and sharing bros here. I thought of a budget and finally thought of some models.

Nikon D80
Canon EOS400D
Olympus E410
Olympus E500
Pentax K100D
Pentax K10D

I actually had never considered Pentax. oops. Coz it's not well-known and not as popular. But after going through this sub-forum, I'm pretty impressed with the Pentax capabilities. I visited CNet for reviews. Searched online just to see what was being said of the Pentax.

I started getting qutoes from the shops here and settled on Cathay Photo (they had the best packages). After much deliberation and serious thought, i took out the NikonD80, it's price was much higher than the rest and I wasn't sure whether it was too expensive already. I saw the E500 as more old school already although their dual kit was very attractive. I'm in this for the long run so I decided I had better get something which can be relevant for the next 5 years at least.

After much thinking, I hopped down to Cathay Photo. Decided to look again at the EOS400D, E410, K100D, K10D. E410 felt too small in my hands, just didn't feel comfy with it. the EOS400D seemed to not be made of strong materials, n that was an important factor for me. So that goes out also.

So it was finalyl the K100D & K10D. Maybe I just chose the K10D because I liked its bigger feel and better features although I must say the prices is quite substantially different from the K100D.

Somehow, I finally chose the K10D and here I am back home, reading through the manual and trying to get a hand of the controls...

lol! :cool:

It all started with my old Canon A80 finally dying in China. Arriving home, I knew I had to get a new camera, but which one? I have never touched DSLRs although was having alot of fun fiddling around with my A80. There were just so many functions, switches, formats, modes, shooting styles that I wasn't sure whether it would be too overwhelming.

Nonetheless, I think it's finally to be brave and just take the plunge into DSLRs as I've always enjoyed looking at great photographs and wondering how such nice effects are done.

I asked around, looked online and came across clubsnap. Great resource for tips and sharing bros here. I thought of a budget and finally thought of some models.

Nikon D80
Canon EOS400D
Olympus E410
Olympus E500
Pentax K100D
Pentax K10D

I actually had never considered Pentax. oops. Coz it's not well-known and not as popular. But after going through this sub-forum, I'm pretty impressed with the Pentax capabilities. I visited CNet for reviews. Searched online just to see what was being said of the Pentax.

I started getting qutoes from the shops here and settled on Cathay Photo (they had the best packages). After much deliberation and serious thought, i took out the NikonD80, it's price was much higher than the rest and I wasn't sure whether it was too expensive already. I saw the E500 as more old school already although their dual kit was very attractive. I'm in this for the long run so I decided I had better get something which can be relevant for the next 5 years at least.

After much thinking, I hopped down to Cathay Photo. Decided to look again at the EOS400D, E410, K100D, K10D. E410 felt too small in my hands, just didn't feel comfy with it. the EOS400D seemed to not be made of strong materials, n that was an important factor for me. So that goes out also.

So it was finalyl the K100D & K10D. Maybe I just chose the K10D because I liked its bigger feel and better features although I must say the prices is quite substantially different from the K100D.

Somehow, I finally chose the K10D and here I am back home, reading through the manual and trying to get a hand of the controls...

Bro, you writing composition arh?:think:

Welcome on board ............. you made the right choice ......... I hope ...............:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Nikon D80
Canon EOS400D
Olympus E410
Olympus E500
Pentax K100D
Pentax K10D

How is the deal?
I also plan to get one.;)

Congrates on your new purchase:) Welcome to the Pentax family:thumbsup:

Why never join the real dark side?:(

Welcome to the pentax family. We are not well-known and not as popular? Like the branding campaign says, we rather be using our equipment than talking about it.:bsmilie:

Welcome to the exclusive club. I like it that way! :cool:

Some people are simply great without knowing it.
Its not about the platinum cards or the condos or the cars or the beautiful girl accompanying you.
Its not about the envy from your peers or their hush when you enter the room.
Its about owning something special.
Its about owning a Pentax DSLR.....CONGRATS, fellow Pentaxian! Welcome to the rebellion!
May the force be with you...always.
;)

Welcome to the exclusive club. I like it that way! :cool:

Exclusive club... Hmm...
I like the sound of that....
Incidentally, my new car quite 'exclusive' also... :bsmilie:

Welcome to the Pentax secret society...
Underdog or underrated but... dogged resistance to the evil domination of C and N (breaks daydream bubble in head) As part of your initiation process into this exclusive group, you will need to post some nice pictures (well leave the nice pictures to the camera, you job is to post it up). :bsmilie:

hahahahah! thanks all. I got alot to learn. Need to know how to operate the features fast. Still abit overwhelmed with the number of buttons and features that this guy has. Well I'm in this for the long run so will slowly get accustomed to the features. I'll try to get used to it and post pics as soon as possible. haha.

I got my package as stated on the Price List sticky. $1428 w/o GST for kit lense, spare battery, lowepro bag, 2GB SD card. With GST it was $1499.4 which is the same as stated in this forum. :D

welcome to pentax! hopefully you will get more lenses you like!

I got my package as stated on the Price List sticky. $1428 w/o GST for kit lense, spare battery, lowepro bag, 2GB SD card. With GST it was $1499.4 which is the same as stated in this forum. :D

I'm waiting to try out Pentax K10D, but since i'm a girl (quite a small size one too), i was told that weight should be a consideration.

but i really love K10D!!!... can anyone advice on that?
oh... and the price is considerably lower now... :lovegrin:
i'll try to get it before the GST hike..

any gals here??:sweatsm:

I'm waiting to try out Pentax K10D, but since i'm a girl (quite a small size one too), i was told that weight should be a consideration.

Get the K100D. Lighter. :thumbsup:

i've read the specs of K10D and went gaga over it..
it's really a much better buy than K100D righty?
-smiles-

how how how how?
-giggles-

If you are concerned with the weight, you can always go down to the shop to try and had a feel of it. For a serious-amateur digital SLR, The K10D is not considered very heavy. K100D is a lighter alternative if you are looking at Pentax. I have seen gals holding heavy Pro DSLR so i :dunno:

I see you are hunting around for a pentax DSLR.:bsmilie:

I think you are the only gal i see here so far.

Cheers

i've read the specs of K10D and went gaga over it..
it's really a much better buy than K100D righty?
-smiles-

how how how how?
-giggles-

What's wrong with the K100D?:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.