I hope it looks as good as it taste

nigel84

Mar 22, 2007
www.flickr.com
I was very much inspired by the food threads here and decided to create this thread here, hopefully to gain more knowledge on food photography and to up my noobish skill level. :cry:

I will post more as I go along, hopefully to gather some feedback from all the pros out here and put them to good use.

4945150816_db1cc463dd.jpg
[/url] tarts by Nigel_4ever, on Flickr[/IMG]

I am not a pro but seriously, there are quite a lot of things for you to take note. Lighting, angle, and the focus selection are things you might want to consider changing to make the pic more appetizing. I believe that was post processing done on the pics. Nevertheless, a good start. Take a look at some of the shots done by some of the seniors here and I am sure you will learn a lot more.

Hi Nigel84. Nice meeting you.

Here's my take.

I think the focus on the cake on the right is rather good. Nice and sharp.

However, in future, if possible, you might want to consider moving the fruit tarts behind the cake so that the wide apperture could blur it in the background, thus focusing only on the cake.

In this pic, it's abit of distraction.

And you might wan to rotate the fruit tart so that the strawberry is facing the cam instead of the peach(?). In my opinion, that might make a better composition.

This pic is also tightly cropped that the foods are all cramped into one frame.

Let's exchange views along the way. ;)

I am not a pro but seriously, there are quite a lot of things for you to take note. Lighting, angle, and the focus selection are things you might want to consider changing to make the pic more appetizing. I believe that was post processing done on the pics. Nevertheless, a good start. Take a look at some of the shots done by some of the seniors here and I am sure you will learn a lot more.

Hi Oracle, I do understand the portions on Lighting and focus selection. However the part on the angle, perhaps some light can be shed here. I admit that the placement of the tart with the peach coming nearer to the foreground is a huge distraction. As for the post processing, I have only bump up the contrast, saturation and brightness. Has it been overdone? Viewing from my screen, it looks good though. :dunno:

Hi Nigel84. Nice meeting you.

Here's my take.

I think the focus on the cake on the right is rather good. Nice and sharp.

However, in future, if possible, you might want to consider moving the fruit tarts behind the cake so that the wide apperture could blur it in the background, thus focusing only on the cake.

In this pic, it's abit of distraction.

And you might wan to rotate the fruit tart so that the strawberry is facing the cam instead of the peach(?). In my opinion, that might make a better composition.

This pic is also tightly cropped that the foods are all cramped into one frame.

Let's exchange views along the way. ;)

Hi Star, nice meeting you too. Like I had said above, I admit the problem of the tart facing the wrong direction. :embrass: And i did not consider much till you said that the pic is cropped tightly. Would keep that in mind and not repeat that mistake again.

Not a bad attempt. Others already mentioned the OOF distraction and maybe you need to take note on how to frame and arrange the items in future.

Sorry for not revisiting and my reply to your question. Here is more details to what I feel about angle and also focus selection. Other pointers given by others in this thread shall not be repeated as I am also learning from many others too.

comments.jpg

For the post processing, i think it is a bit too bright and contrasty but this is just my personal preference. It could be due to my color deficiency too.

Cheers,

Daniel

Hi Oracle, I do understand the portions on Lighting and focus selection. However the part on the angle, perhaps some light can be shed here. I admit that the placement of the tart with the peach coming nearer to the foreground is a huge distraction. As for the post processing, I have only bump up the contrast, saturation and brightness. Has it been overdone? Viewing from my screen, it looks good though. :dunno:

i am hungry now....

A much better attempt than the first one. Color wise i still prefer a less contrasty and saturated processing. Some of the texture details are lost due to post processing. Thanks for sharing and they do look delicious.

I dunno if the below image is going to work with everyone here, but I'm clueless in taking pictures of sandwiches, moreover it was done with an empty stomach >.<

Club Sandwich by Nigel_4ever, on Flickr

u need a bit more DOF for the sandwich, top layer is sharp, can see a slice of cheese but that's about it, cannot figure out the rest
the blob of salad instead of being a side item and garnish, becomes a distraction

Agree with Grumpy on the DOF for the sandwich. Again, the sandwich is the main focus but is heavily distracted by the out of focus 'blob of salad' on the lower left of your frame. Always use your hands a bit to 'reposition' your 'subjects' so that they look nice in front of the camera.

u need a bit more DOF for the sandwich, top layer is sharp, can see a slice of cheese but that's about it, cannot figure out the rest
the blob of salad instead of being a side item and garnish, becomes a distraction

For the strawberry, I would prefer the red is shown instead of the white since red is more enticing and represents strawberry much better. Are you shooting in a hotel buffet using hotel lighting? If so then I suppose you have no control of your light. But in my case, I would try to balance the light (the cup seems too dark in front due to backlighting) so I would use white paper or tissue or part of the table cloth to reflect back the light. I would also probably shoot lower to showcase the tapioca balls and the purple stuff (since that is the main subject and the strawberry is just the garnish/decor).

For the cookie, first I would not include the yellow line on top. Second, I would again shoot a bit lower since the photo highlights too much on the choco sauce and not the cookie, which should be more important. For cookie, I would like to highlight the texture. I just feel that the photo looks good, but not good enough I wanna crave for the cookie. Just the choco alone actually makes me feel fat. :p Just my humble opinion.

The sandwich, agree with above. Garnish should be way smaller than the main subject and has the "oh yeah, that too" feel. Now its competing with attention. The bread actually has a nice texture (is that whole grain or walnut bread?) and if I can see that along with highly detailed texture of fresh, crispy and moist lettuce, it will make me go for the nearest subway. I would also wanna see more detail on the blue cheese. Your DOF should include all the important ingredients.

What food is that?
Can't see clarity!

actually from my point, i think apart from the first picture, the rest are pretty awesome. looks good.

dont just please my eyes, please my tongues please ^^

@ StarDust: Haha, i have no idea what is that, someone else ordered it for me. LOL! i just shot, and eat. Nv ask what was it.
@ Rebelriot: Thank you! There are still much more i can learn and improve on... :)