I have a problem..... what do u think of this solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
hi guys,

I have this problem......... . I love photography, and I'm going back to Australia ( perth ) for my studies, this time armed with a Film SLR. I used to take pictures back there with my Powershot A40, not an issue to my shoestring budget since it is digital and not much cost incurred. Film is such a pain, its fantastic ... its addictive..... but terribly expensive. In Singapore, its $15 for prints, DOwn Under .... I wont imagine how much would a roll be to develop and print. I'm a student, no income... just leeching on my parents money..... and the problem is ..I feel guilty. I've bought about 40 rolls of film to bring over, which I honestly think its inadequate .... given that its NOT SINGAPORE. Gosh .. there is just so much to take there. With digital, Not an issue... perhaps only hardisk space. With film, its a bloody big issue given my situation. If I were to use only 40 rolls in a yr in Perth, it would probably amount to $1000 worth of developing and prints. 1000 bucks is big shit to me .... and in a roll, I probably only like at most 5 shots. $1000 can get me an almost new Canon G3. In 2 yrs ....... $2000 can get me ..probably a DSLR, by then. OUCH!!!
The cost of film and developing is starting to dampen my profound interest in this wonderful hobby. I think twice now about pulling the trigger.

I have thought about a solution. Buy a flatbed scanner with film adapter. I cant afford a film scanner, and I dont take enough to justifty the cost. Parents just dont understand PASSION. Period. I have to manipulate my bank account just to find allowance for this hobby. So... I was thinking, buy a flat bed scanner with film adapter, develop my films in Australia without prints , and digitise my pictures by scanning the processed film. From there, maybe if I want prints, transfer it onto a CF card and send it to the shop for printing, or do that when I come back in November ( still have 3 yrs to go man , but back every yr for 3 months ). That way I save money BIG TIME. I was thinking of buying the Canoscan 1250U2F or EPSON 1650. I know these arent very good, but BUDGET Man. I just hope, at max resolution , these scanners will give me pictures good enough to match a 3-4 mega pixel camera.
What do you think of this idea ?

Please comment, suggest or give your HONEST opinions, for the passion of photography. :heart:

simple answer, don't get a flat bed film scanner, unless you're really willing to spend for a good one. if you get a flat bed scanner, you'll ultimately end up with a low quality scans which you will hate, and you'll still have to spend more money to get a proper film scanner...

Seriously I don't think you should be worrying so much. That 40 rolls might not last you 5mths or it might very well last you 2-3yrs depending on how often you shoot.

As for the developing costs, perhaps you could cut that down by being more selective of your shots in terms of composition and at the same time pay more attention to your technique to coax a higher % of worthwhile shots.

Originally posted by marcwang
I was thinking of buying the Canoscan 1250U2F or EPSON 1650. I know these arent very good, but BUDGET Man. I just hope, at max resolution , these scanners will give me pictures good enough to match a 3-4 mega pixel camera.
What do you think of this idea ?

How much would the Epson 1650 w/ film attachment cost? >$500 I would think, since I bought a 1640SU last time for $400+ without film adaptor. The results for film scanning is certainly inferior to what you might achieve with a proper film scanner like a Minolta Dualscan III at ~$560.

IMO, your best solution might be to just invest in a 2nd hand DSLR at $1800-2000 if you have an existing inventory of Nikon/Canon lenses. It will give you much better versatility than any $1000+ digicam and it would eliminate any running costs if you can hold off on printing.

If you are going to just develop, slide will be a better option as it will be easier/faster to scan. Scanning negative needs more adjustment.

Howveer, you might need a light box to view the slide. You can view a negative this way. Alternatively, you can develop with index print but I think it's not going to be cheap too.

After only a few good photos from many rolls, you will know when not to press the shutter button.

have you tried sending a roll for printing yet? it sounds like you haven't done that.

If my poor memory didn't fail me(it does most of the time actually :p ). to develop a roll of 36 4R prints in UWA student guild cost you around AUS$12. Do show them your student card when you send developing as every 10 rolls develop the 11th roll is free. They will keep a record of how many rolls you have print before.... so 11rolls will cost you $120.

I am refering to the store next to the guild bookshop, which they also sell things like medication and misc.

I tried printing in a photo shop in the Perth city train station too. to me the photo quality is good, price should be around the same... I was just using a point and shoot compact camera and the photos taken in Rocknest Island looks great. :)

I hope this could help ( and hope the information is still correct).

:thumbsup:
Agree. For myself, I have to be disciplined enough to think before I shoot. Compose, set, trigger-off. I improve myself doing that, and eliminates the neccessity of taking backup shots. Hopefully you can find a studio that will scan the pictures into the CDrom for you, no prints. Upload them, eliminates the costs of reprinting for friends (I use this tactic to save cost, they can really add up).
Saw your pictures, it's a shame to give up at your level. Keep the passion burning, keep improving, you will be glad you stick with the hobby.

I Perth for negative developing and prints are about similar to Singapore, but becareful the charge not based on the actual output. Average charge for 24 exp is about A$ 8-10 and 36 exp is about A$12-14 flat, it doesn't matter how many prints will turn up. They charge you based on what ever written in the film cannister.
Here some favourite labs that I used when I was there:
1. Agfa Center at City (next to budget Japnesse Restaurant "Samurai" if I am not wrong) is the cheapest one I can found, the also print for you once more if you not satissfy with the result.
2. Kodak East Perth photo in the hay street next to the commonwealth bank, is run by nice chap and he will do the print as you requested but bit pricey (I like this shop since located near to my place, I was live in Stampford Appt. in Goderich Street)
3. Halse for slides somewhere in high street if I am not wrong.
These info was accurate 2 years ago, I never have chance to go back to Perth after working here.

For scanning use Campus' flat bad scanner, are you study in Curtin? If yes there is one scanner at the CBS Post grad lab and Engineering Lab...you can use it at night after 9pm...he..he..he..:embrass: my secret.

i dont know how this will help your case..

You can convert from negative straight to digital, get it in a CD, and get an index print, all for about $12 per roll. From the index print and the CD, you can decide what you want to develop.

This sounds good to me because i do not need to develop all, scan and save, as everthing is already in the CD. Saves trouble of poor scanning resolution and so on.

Fujifilm has this. But I have not used this service ever since started on digital.

IMHO, sell the 40 rolls of negative film. Get a G3/c5050/nikon 5700 etc to shoot as much as you want and can view and learn after downloading to your computer.

Since $$ is important to you as a student... don't get the DSLR yet...

Use your f80 and slides if you feel your digicam cannot give you the result you want loh...

Just came back from a holiday in Melbourne, and here is what I experienced:-

1) 1-hr development 36-exp was $16.95.
2) Mail-in development (turnaround prob. 2-3 days) is $6.95 for 36-exp.

Film prices there are comparable with Singapore especially those consumer type ones. I even saw a shop advertise 3 x 36 exp for sale at $5.99.

In that way, perhaps photography in Australia is NOT as expensive as you think it is - just buy the on-sale films and mail off the pics for development.

Australia is a wonderful place for photography, so if i were you, I would take full advantage of that.

Thanks for the very useful replies. I'm in UWA, not Curtin, not sure if they have scanners. Sounds like cost of developing is alright. I only got my film camera when I came back in november, so haven got a chance to develop. Part of my love for photography is also to be able to crop, add effects.. make postcards... etc, basically to make use of my shots for poster design and stuff. Its good to be able to digitise it. Now contemplating if I should

1) Buy a flatbed + film adapter .. so that I can use the flatbed for schoolwork and save of the hugely expensive cost of photocopying, at the same time digitise my photos.

2) Buy a Minolta Dual 3 film scanner ...... but a bit out of my budget at $585 (CP), and it'll be underutilise even if I use 1 roll perweek I feel.

3) Just develop at $15 per roll..... , save and save and stay in my hall all day long, not have a life... not buy a car ... and buy a DSLR when I come back in November 03.

It sucks to have an expensive hobby, sucks even more to be so passionate. All my hobbies have been expensive, ..Mountainbiking, Gasoline Radiocontrol cars, planted aquarium... . Why dont I like something like ... err.... going to a library to read a book or something.:cry:
I pity my parents ....... I have an expensive childhood.

Thanks Darrren.

Film the same price downunder ? Damn ... just spent $140 on film .

The reason why I change from digital ( Powershot A40 ) to film because I love BOKEH, and digital cant give me a good bokeh due to its hyper short focal length. My A40 is good enough, the functions are great ......... , fully manual with shutter up to 15s. I'll stick to it, use it for snapshots. I've learned so much abt photography with it, thank god for not buying the CP2500. See my pbase wp, most shots are taken with it.. .
The difference between a A40 and a G3 is much smaller than say ..A G3 compared to an SLR. Thats how I feel.
Thanks for your replies.
Leaving This Thursday, GOT to make THE decision soon.

I suggest you got down to south tip of the WA once while you study there, plenty of photography opportunity await you. My favourite places are Albany, Busselton, Cape Leuwin Light House and Cape Naturalizite (spelling may off). I went there with my friends using motor home, it was an unforgettable trip for nature lover, the sceneries are breath taking.

Since no one had suggested it, I'll be the bad guy here...

You will be taking your PC from here, right? Just tell your parent your need a scanner and the rest is understood.

Perth got many nice place to take photos. Remember to bring your tripod.

haha... yeah, dont get to stay overseas for prolong periods other than now. Bought my F80 for this reason, its now or never. Told my mum already, buying a scanner for school purpose... but putting on hold for the reasons stated in this thread. All geared up for the outback with my Lowepro haversack, Timberland boots, bush hat, 2 sigma lenses to cover 28mm to 300mm , a fast F1.8 50mm Nikon, shit loads of battery. Now I need a JEEP. haha

Have you thought of shooting slides? It's cheaper overall to shoot slides vs negatives. And the slides are viewable as it is with just a simple lightbox + loupe combination. Don't even need to scan to see. And the results will be better than scanning negs on a cheap flatbed.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Darren

In that way, perhaps photography in Australia is NOT as expensive as you think it is - just buy the on-sale films and mail off the pics for development.

Film and processing isn't expensive but the cost of gear is here considering the equal exchange rate with AUD and SGD

Originally posted by Darren

Australia is a wonderful place for photography, so if i were you, I would take full advantage of that.

sure is.... :)

Originally posted by ckiang
Have you thought of shooting slides? It's cheaper overall to shoot slides vs negatives. And the slides are viewable as it is with just a simple lightbox + loupe combination. Don't even need to scan to see. And the results will be better than scanning negs on a cheap flatbed.
yah, agree with ckiang. then you can slowly pick out the keepers and come back to SG and scan/develop. if you want digital copies, then can get one of the guys here offering scanning services (like rueyloon or sulhan) to scan in hi-res for you in bulk. certainly better than buying a cheapo flatbed for just 40 rolls a year.

Originally posted by Knighthunter
I suggest you got down to south tip of the WA once while you study there, plenty of photography opportunity await you. My favourite places are Albany, Busselton, Cape Leuwin Light House and Cape Naturalizite

and the Margaret River region, Bunbury, Pemberton...

and don't forget Rottnest Island, Monkey Mia, the Bungle Bungles, Hamersly Ranges, Broome and the Kimberly Ranges...

any where else Ian :)

Status
Not open for further replies.