I have a D3 Wish To Upgrade Would You Buy D4 Or D800 ?

smalltiger

Mar 30, 2006
Chinatown
Hi all I have a D3 for the past 4 years. Thot of upgrade what would all members adviser ? D4 or D800 ?
Thanks in adv :)

smalltiger said:
Hi all I have a D3 for the past 4 years. Thot of upgrade what would all members adviser ? D4 or D800 ?
Thanks in adv :)

The question is what will you be using the camera for? If an all rounder camera you should go for D4, for landscape and portraits shot go for the D800... I'm using the D800 and I find its not very good in sporting due to the huge mp so buffer will be very slow...

You mean... should you buy one D4 or two D800s? :)

Is there a very good reason you need to get the new camera ?:dunno:
Heard the new camera is not as clean or noiseless like your D3 especially on higher ISO.:think:

frederickykfoo said:
Is there a very good reason you need to get the new camera ?:dunno:
Heard the new camera is not as clean or noiseless like your D3 especially on higher ISO.:think:

On the contrary, I think it's comparable to D3s up to ISO 6400 (only losing a bit here). It's only there after, D3s and D4 will outshine D800.

For someone who uses a D3, I'm a little surprised by your question :)

On the contrary, I think it's comparable to D3s up to ISO 6400 (only losing a bit here). It's only there after, D3s and D4 will outshine D800.

really? wow, I didn't know that bro.

6sets of D4 at Alan Photo SLS
buy buy buy

daredevil123 said:
really? wow, I didn't know that bro.

I was surprise myself when I compare to my older album shot with D3s to my recent albums done with D800. There is also a comparison done on a UK magazine, Advanced Photographer (June)

I got the D800E instead of the D4. Previously using the D3s. No regrets.

Cowseye said:

I think the dynamic range of the Nikon D800 decreases more rapidly than the Nikon D3s and D4 as ISO increase.

Really depends on which gene will be your main stream.

For Still to Slower motion photography, D800 has a very good dynamic range and the resolutions to boot. ISO noise wise, when down sampled to 18 MP, comparable to D4 up to ISO 6400. When refering to slower motion, i am saying so due to the consistent repeatability to capture that one moment in a split sec. The D800's 4fps is about 30% of the 11fps of the D4, meaning 3 times less chance to repeatedly capture that split second in action & sports photography. The higher speed of the subject, the ability to consistently capture split second shots decrease.

I used it to photograph S-league and the number of keepers of split second shots at ISO 3200 was really good. Again, missed some "money shot" moments at times because it was that split second that didn't fall within the 4fps change over between frame. I believe that with 11fps, the consistency will be much much better.

I would say, if main gene is sports and wild life, D4 produces much higher versatility and consistency and while the D800 is not a proper sports and action body, as ahobbylist, it can still produce very acceptable results with high number of keepers.

If budget is not a problem, although i don't own a D4, after seeing how my friends use their D4 and their consequent results, i believe the D4 covers almost the full operating range of the D800 minus the ability to print BIG.

Last edited:
For hobby, prefer D800, for business D4 . IMO

IF I go for a D4 the main selling point ( for me ) is the illuminated buttons.... it's almost a deal closer.... but I will wait till DEC/JAN as expect price to level out a bit. ( NOT IN A HURRY )

And another thing..... Its silly to buy such a camera PRE-Olympics. :)

For studio or business really need D4 on 400k durable SC.
If person as hobby not need lah, D800 good than enough.

Both cameras are made for different purposes. This thing about D4 for professional use and D800 for hobbist is absurd. Bottom line....... know what you need, know what you buy.