I hate it when ppl say "its not the camera, its the person behine it"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsQ

Jan 27, 2002
River Valley
Visit site
I keep hearing this from my frens... super sian

yes we all know the person themself plays a vital role into a good photo.. but ofcos the camera needs to get some credit too...

u go give michael schumacher a cherry QQ and compete with a average driver in a 911 turbo and go track, see who win...

go take a camera phone and u go try to take a award winning photo and see (no heavy post processing ofcos)

I think the correct phase shld be "The person holding the camera is the most important element in taking a good photo, while the rest rest on the gears"

Er....why are you so pissed off?

Chill man....weather too hot?

both are important.. no doubt..

i think why people drum on that statement is really, especially in singapore, too many people place way too much emphasis on gear.

it is more of a 350d versus 1d mark III instead of a hello kitty camera versus nikon d3x statement, if you catch my drift. the amount of money paid for marginal improvement in gear is.. exponential, in short.

I agree that those thinking that a 5D mk2 will make them pro will need to understand the above statement.. but problem is whenever i say i want to buy this lens or that body.. then my they use this statement on me, its like telling me "eh u no skill, dont waste time buying gears la"

OR

they keep talking about this statement , and then themself contradict it by saying "too bad i dont hv my D90 with me that day" .. which then i shoot them saying "eh i tot u say its the person 12" behind the lens is most important?? so why didn't u go wild with ur 3.2mp camera phone ??? " ... and that's where the debate starts and me consuming 3 kopi ping and wasted 45 mins

i am sure your friends meant it the same way as you...

They are most probably just keeping the phrase short and sweet - "it is not the camera, it is the man behind it"

it sounds more cool and simple than your version of "The person holding the camera is the most important element in taking a good photo, while the rest rest on the gears"

I agree that those thinking that a 5D mk2 will make them pro will need to understand the above statement.. but problem is whenever i say i want to buy this lens or that body.. then my they use this statement on me, its like telling me "eh u no skill, dont waste time buying gears la"

OR

they keep talking about this statement , and then themself contradict it by saying "too bad i dont hv my D90 with me that day" .. which then i shoot them saying "eh i tot u say its the person 12" behind the lens is most important?? so why didn't u go wild with ur 3.2mp camera phone ??? " ... and that's where the debate starts and me consuming 3 kopi ping and wasted 45 mins

Er...you have a portfolio to share?

OR

1) well, nothing wrong with buying gear. whatever floats your boat, right. are we saying that only handsome/beautiful people should be expensive clothes? or that only good drivers should buy top end cars? what matters is the behaviour/attitude, not what one buys. you have people buying expensive camera gear and asking why their photos never improve, that statement should be used on them. you have people buying expensive camera gear and knowing that they can improve, and they try, then perhaps not so appropriate.

2) hahahaha, why bother what people say? :) just enjoy your photography.. and be objective and properly critical when it comes to your own photos, depending on where you want to go.

i cannot agree with what people do with gear, i.e. i do think that an expensive camera's user should be expected to produce something better; but i also understand that people have different views, so i will disagree, but i will not shove my opinion down their throats.

In most cases, a more appropriate comparison is michael schumacher on a Honda Civic is still going to beat me flat even if I drive a 911. Trust me there is some truth in this, a good photographer with a point and shoot will still get a better sets of pict compare to a amature with a 1DsIII or D3x, but a comparable photographer using a P&S vs another with a good DSLR, the outcome will be apparent.

Don't need to be sian, just need to understand the truth is both the people & the equipment is important, and everyone is entitle to their own point of view, and that's what make this world interesting.

OR

Next time just go take photos and buy lens yourself.

Composition aside...getting better quality photos and helping to get the kinda shots you want, that's what the gears will do for the photographers :)

Well, for me I upgraded to a DSLR primarily because my Nikon P80 shows too much noise above ISO200. I've learned all I can about P, S, A, and M modes with this and another camera, so it was a natural progression for me to go to a DSLR. Don't get me wrong: I enjoyed shooting with the P80, and have gotten good photos (at least, in my opinion) out of it and have never blamed it for any bad photos (well... only for the noise ones haha!).

Well just make sure you have allweys got you hand on your tackle,just whip it out have a few flashes and put it away again... ;-)
Oh i say person behind camera, ;-P

let me put myself in your friends' shoes.

if i have a friend who is really just average or below average in terms of skills and flair, and he comes to everyday telling me he wants to upgrade from 350D to 5DMKII. I will probably just tell him the same..."the person behind the camera is more impt."

if he is really talented...I would have encouraged him to upgrade his camera+lenses too.

I, too know people who talk about upgrading cars, houses, cameras, etc when I know they owe thousands of cards' bills.
I will then discourage them from upgrading..cos' I am their friend!

Perhaps, there are reasons why your friends are asking you not to upgrade?
I am just assuming, perhaps you are not financially independent yet..or they really think you should spend more time on upgrading your skills before getting the Pro body?

I am sure if your photos are blowing your friends away, they will not dare to tell you otherwise.

think about it.

ya i agree with u guy's view.. at least everyone here are more practical on the approach btw skills and the gears to buy, which i also agree with u all

Er...you have a portfolio to share?

now using 450D .. which in my other post in newbie section i asked about upgrading to a D90.. and this is the fuss i got when i tell few of my frens of me wanting a better cam to handle night shoots.

I keep hearing this from my frens... super sian

yes we all know the person themself plays a vital role into a good photo.. but ofcos the camera needs to get some credit too...

u go give michael schumacher a cherry QQ and compete with a average driver in a 911 turbo and go track, see who win...

go take a camera phone and u go try to take a award winning photo and see (no heavy post processing ofcos)

I think the correct phase shld be "The person holding the camera is the most important element in taking a good photo, while the rest rest on the gears"

Why bother with what pple says? Why bother to explain yourself? It's your gear, photos and money. You do whatever you like with it :)

now using 450D .. which in my other post in newbie section i asked about upgrading to a D90.. and this is the fuss i got when i tell few of my frens of me wanting a better cam to handle night shoots.

I agree the noise control for 450D is not very impressive, especially for night photography.

But are they fussing more on your decision to change system than your desire to upgrade??

ya u guys are right.. screw them la.. life too short to listen to what other think of me....

But are they fussing more on your decision to change system than your desire to upgrade??

they are just those ppl that like to quote this , quote that... and yet they don't live by the quotes they keep repeating

Last edited:
I understand your situation. Still, you don't have to take into heart what they always say you know? Just like night96mare said, whatever floats your boat.

As long as you're happy, go ahead. Don't care what they say. All in all, once you get your new gear, and you managed to shoot nicer/better pictures as compared to your old gear, good for you! At least you're happy.
However, after getting your new gear and still not improving and find that you wasted money in the end because you should've practised more first. Then too bad, lesson learnt, move on. It's ok what others think, just make sure you don't make the wrong decision when you do it yourself. Still, I'm not saying you shouldn't hear out people opinions though.

Just my 2cents :D

No lah, I prefer to think that the BIGGER the camera you hold, the better a photographer you must be! :D

Okay, but seriously folks...

I think there are a few people out there who first need to understand what is meant by a "good" photo.

Technically good? Yes, you need a good camera and good lens, if not, you just can't get good noise control, bokeh, contrast, sharpness, etc. BUT, does all that make for a "good" photo?

Aesthetically good? Literally, any camera will do. And aesthetics are subjective (blurry lomo shots taken by toy cameras, anybody?)

It all depends on what the subject is, what the requirements of the shoot are, and what are the expectations of the viewer. The statement "It's not the camera, but the person behind the camera" can be both true and untrue at the same time.

Don't fret. People say all sorts of things all the time. Let them.

And you just go ahead and enjoy your photography.

Just tell them, "I got money what." :p

Why bother with what pple says? Why bother to explain yourself? It's your gear, photos and money. You do whatever you like with it :)

true, but at the same time , it is important that one does not lose sight of the big picture.

i think there should be a balance to be made. and there is a difference between a person judging another person, and forcing his judgement on the other person. i certainly cannot always avoid passing judgement, especially on things i cannot agree with, e.g. X buying expensive cars when he is not supporting his aged parents.. but i would certainly not tell X off for his actions unless he is close to me.

self-examination, self-reflection, these are far more important than people's judgement of you. of course, if the self is flawed and delusional, then it doesn't matter anyways, whatever people judge you will not listen. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.