I hate copy control CDs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNAG

Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
Bought Lisa Ono's "Dans Mon Ile" and Shino's "Best Hits" today, and I realised that they are both Copy Controlled CDs.

But anyway, when I popped them into my PC, I realised that they could not be played on a standard media player on PC. The only solution that they had was to load a special s/w player which could extract the data layer in the CD.

And my god, the data layer's audio was totally crap. WMA Audio at 48kbps ain't pretty (and it ain't doing justice to Lisa Ono's voice!).

Anyone knows any media player that can work with these CDs? I mean, play the audio portion of the CD?

Even my fav Foobar 7 could not play the CD...

Hope they don't force me to borrow the CD instead (and rip them out using Exact Audio Copy... :D)

RuthBaby said:
they r forcing us :blah:

I managed to play the audio tracks using EAC, but then, there's always a brief pause every 10-20 seconds.

Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From what I realise, they cannot afford to put in a highly-encoded data layer, as there is just insufficient data space to put in a well encoded data track.

listening to these CDs on the PC really makes me puke. The amount of artifcacts on high pitch sounds are really.... *pukes*...

I've extracted all the CDs into pure wav files.
Now the million dollar question is that, what shall I do with those original CDs? :bsmilie:

SNAG said:
Bought Lisa Ono's "Dans Mon Ile" and Shino's "Best Hits" today, and I realised that they are both Copy Controlled CDs.

But anyway, when I popped them into my PC, I realised that they could not be played on a standard media player on PC. The only solution that they had was to load a special s/w player which could extract the data layer in the CD.

And my god, the data layer's audio was totally crap. WMA Audio at 48kbps ain't pretty (and it ain't doing justice to Lisa Ono's voice!).

Anyone knows any media player that can work with these CDs? I mean, play the audio portion of the CD?

Hope they don't force me to borrow the CD instead (and rip them out using Exact Audio Copy... :D)

what about real CD player/discman? not via computer.

AJ23 said:
there is a little sticker and some label stating that it's a "controlled CD". Bumper! :(

Nope.
Not all CDs have the label.
For instance, the latest David Tao's CD "Ultrasound" is protected (may not be Copy Control).

And there is absolutely no warning about this on the CD itself (I went down to check..)

sian.

From what I read from the site, most of the normal CD players can work with the thing. Except with some. Tried with all normal players (namely Panasonic CDP, Marantz CDP, Pioneer DVDP), and they work without a flaw.

What Copy Control CDs do to fool the PC's players are that they sorta 'corrupt' the CDs' TOC - Table of Contents, so that when they read it, they will get errors.

Anyway, not sure if it the protection scheme is true or not... kinda forgot.

They should release a dedicated player that allows these Copy Controlled CDs to be played properly on PCs. Doing this does not necessarily mean that they can be copied using the "normal" methods, ie Nero.

I hate Copy-Protection too.

Its really making life hard for people with portable MP3 players. How the hell are we going to enjoy listening to the songs on the go if I cannot rip the songs into mp3s?

Expecting everyone to go back to Discman?

Its selfish. I don't pay 20 bucks for a piece of plastic. I pay for my rights to listen to the songs anywhere I wanted.

I think we should all return these cd and force the manufacturer to refund the purchase...... :)

SNAG said:

well dats LIFE mate :bsmilie:

Doesn't affect me coz I only seriously listen to music CD through my Hifi. Never liked the sound of mp3 music anyway.

SniperD said:
Dudes,

use CDex ... shhssss.... ;)

Can't play the CD using that as well..

Dudes, I'm not trying to rip the tracks into my PC, what I'm asking for is a player to correctly play the audio tracks using my PC... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.