I got a virus! Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xray

Jul 28, 2004
Singapore
www.hachisu.com.sg
I got a virus on my computer. This virus was transmitted by CD and produces a subfolder into all other folders.

For example, in C:\Data\, it produces C:\Data\Data. Every folder is the same. I use Anti-vir and AVG on the computer, but they do not detect anything. When you click on the produced folders, you realise that it is a .exe file which opens the Windows Explorer automatically.

Once the Windows registry is opened, the virus shuts the computer down automatically. Help me! What virus is it?

Arrgh! It spoiled my new year. :cry:

I got a CD from a photography shop after scanning film to CD. The virus name is PCK/MEW, which was created on 27/12/2005. Its full name is in Malay and translates to "Social Gap".

Today, I used Anti-Vir from www.freeav.com and removed over 5000 .exe files.
Right now, we have run over 5 complete scans and the virus has replicated

We cannot start the registry as the virus has taken over the administrative rights. Using TRK3.0, we can only see the infected files and folders, but we cannot pinpoint the origination.

Help! Anyone can help? :cry:

Make sure system restore is off ... else the virus will be always "repopulating" ... then start your AV scanning and removal.

Can you start up in safe mode?
Restart and press F8 when windows boots up, you should get an option to start up in safe mode.
run the scan from safe mode and see if it's better.

one sure way is to scan your harddisk using another computer. :)

xray said:
I got a virus on my computer. This virus was transmitted by CD and produces a subfolder into all other folders.

For example, in C:\Data\, it produces C:\Data\Data. Every folder is the same. I use Anti-vir and AVG on the computer, but they do not detect anything. When you click on the produced folders, you realise that it is a .exe file which opens the Windows Explorer automatically.

Once the Windows registry is opened, the virus shuts the computer down automatically. Help me! What virus is it?

Arrgh! It spoiled my new year. :cry:

Go to Microsoft.com and do a windows update. Download the latest Security Patch files. Install them and reboot the system.
If your computer is installed with the Norton Antivirus. Update the latest Virus Definition file.:)

Thanks for everything. I just reformatted the disk as there was no cure. It refused all anti-virus scans, registry cleaners and internet connections, let alone a Windows Update. Note: PCK/MEW changes into Brontok after a few days.

My computer is fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.