I get a hell of a kick studying at photographic sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachme2003

Oct 6, 2003
some of you may share the same interests. i get lots of thrills studying photographic sets with their relative position of camera, lights, supports, props, etc. looking at end result helps in understanding the whys. share your thrills.

I find it very fascinating as well. I'm still intrigued by how a slight movement of a light or two can create a huge difference in the final image. I'm still experimenting with various set-ups as well as I'm still not at the stage where I know exactly where to put things to get the effect I want.

The worse case is of course after dozens of experimentations with the lights I still can't get the shot. Studying set-ups of others tells me "hey, by putting backlighting here I can create this effect, or adjusting the relative position of the softbox will give me this and that"

Don't know if it's a fetish but WOW I love looking at studio set-ups!

reachme2003 said:
some of you may share the same interests. i get lots of thrills studying photographic sets with their relative position of camera, lights, supports, props, etc. looking at end result helps in understanding the whys. share your thrills.

Maybe you could also try looking at a photo and figuring it out how the photographer lights it?

looking at a photo alone and make educated guess about lighting still remains a guess. together with a photo of the studio set, i use it as a educational tool, sort of.

Sion said:
Maybe you could also try looking at a photo and figuring it out how the photographer lights it?

it is fetish. same kind of adrenalin rush you get as fetish/es as one might experienced.

Stoned said:
I find it very fascinating as well. I'm still intrigued by how a slight movement of a light or two can create a huge difference in the final image. I'm still experimenting with various set-ups as well as I'm still not at the stage where I know exactly where to put things to get the effect I want.

The worse case is of course after dozens of experimentations with the lights I still can't get the shot. Studying set-ups of others tells me "hey, by putting backlighting here I can create this effect, or adjusting the relative position of the softbox will give me this and that"

Don't know if it's a fetish but WOW I love looking at studio set-ups!

sometimes it's not enough just looking....

so i went into assisting and do it for real :bsmilie:

reachme2003 said:
looking at a photo alone and make educated guess about lighting still remains a guess. together with a photo of the studio set, i use it as a educational tool, sort of.

I normally try to duplicate the lighting in my shots to see whether I could come close to it. Sometimes it turns out to be something else which is a pleasant surprise and becomes one of my lighting repertoire.

used to gawk at lovely pictures and wonder how they were shot. assisting has given me a better insight on how photographers produce images. it's not only just about lighting..it's also about having a developed aesthetic sense, ability to work with others etc.

having seen the photographer's past work, you'll soon pick up tips,techniques and tricks that he/she use to create a certain kind of mood/look. so much so that when faced with a familiar object/subject, one could fall into the trap of using the same 'formula' again. so i agree with reach2003, it's a thrill to look at how other people shoot and learn/re-discover new things.

Sorry for OT but i enjoy looking at other types of set-ups......

I got lots of thrill looking at drum sets. How many piece kit they used and their configurations. Number of bass drums, floor toms, toms etc. Pity i'm no drummer.

Look at Megadeth's set-up. Cool! The pic is also very well taken.

Megadeth___Gigantour_27_COOL.jpg

maybe you have hidden talent of a drummer?

my days of assisting are all behind me.

Stereobox said:
sometimes it's not enough just looking....

so i went into assisting and do it for real :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.