I don't understand print sizes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvsaint

Feb 15, 2006
Hi, i have taken some pictures using my DC. The size of the pictures are 2592*1944. Resolution shows as 180 in photoshop. What i have done is to adjust the contrast and brightness of the pictures. But i have not changed the size. Must i change the size of the pictures myself or will the printing shop do it for me. For example

3R 3.5" x 5" 7:10 1050 x 1500
4R 4" x 6" 2:3 1200 x 1800

Will the printing shop do the cropping for me. Also will they go through individual pictures to see where to crop or will they send it through a machine that will do a batch process. :dunno:

Sorry if too many questions. First time printing photos. Your help is appreciated.

lvsaint said:
Must i change the size of the pictures myself or will the printing shop do it for me. For example

3R 3.5" x 5" 7:10 1050 x 1500
4R 4" x 6" 2:3 1200 x 1800

Will the printing shop do the cropping for me. Also will they go through individual pictures to see where to crop or will they send it through a machine that will do a batch process.

The apparent standard practice by labs is to ignore the resolution and resample the image to whatever pixel dimensions the machine needs. Pictures with different aspect ratios are usually cropped automatically to fill the paper.

How much is done blindly by a machine in a batch process as opposed to being set by the operator may differ between labs. For prints in the 29 cents class, I think one cannot expect much human intervention. The only thing where it IMHO really matters is how a picture is cropped - and if you crop it yourself at home before sending the file for printing, you get the crop that you like, not what a machine or a human operator thinks is best.

Ok, will the printshop also do color correction...

someshops do correction for u, some shops don't. just ask.

I prefer Fuji Frontier Machines with Supreme paper. :)

what are the advantages of using the Fuji Frontier Machines.. Is it able to color correction better...

Status
Not open for further replies.