I dont like DSLR (for its weight/size)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bratz

Nov 20, 2007
Not sure if i'm gonna get bombarded but here it goes.......

I like taking picture of my kids basically snapshots and not really into the arty-farty photography thingy that most of you guys here are on.....previously own couple of compact which include Canon S5is and now own a D90 with a couple of lens in the arsenal.....i been pretty much not satisfied with any of my compact/P&S but very happy with my D90 but i kinda hate it to bring it along after sometime owning the D90 due to the size and weight.....normally i just have the tamron 17-50 or sigma 18-250 on the camera and SB900 in the bag but i still feel a hassle to bring it everywhere i go...so the question is am i stuck with a dslr or is there a compact that has close to DSLR IQ.....i'm mostly dissatisfied for the poor high ISO IQ of all my previous compact.....i have a feeling i'm asking too much from a compact

Last edited:
well, if weight is an issue and u still want the dslr function, maybe u can try using a nikon p6000 or canon g10. Is compact and still have some of the dslr function, u can try that

well there's always good compacts (lx3, d-lux4)

m4/3 systems, (Lumix G1, GH1, Leica X1)

the pen oly system (ep-1 with kit lens 14-42)

those can be as good IQ as DSLR, and are also very manual in allowing you to control your aperture, shutter speed alike...

I like taking picture of my kids basically snapshots and not really into the arty-farty photography thingy that most of you guys here are on.....previously own couple of compact which include Canon S5is and now own a D90 with a couple of lens in the arsenal.....i been pretty much not satisfied with any of my compact/P&S but very happy with my D90 but i kinda hate it to bring it along after sometime owning the D90 due to the size and weight.....normally i just have the tamron 17-50 or sigma 18-250 on the camera and SB900 in the bag but i still feel a hassle to bring it everywhere i go...so the question is am i stuck with a dslr or is there a compact that has close to DSLR IQ.....i'm mostly dissatisfied for the poor low ISO IQ of all my previous compact.....i have a feeling i'm asking too much from a compact

if you're more on shots of the family, you can easily get a D3K and a 18-55,

the weight is also negligable.. and definitely lighter then your current set-up of a superzoom and D90...

and if you're taking picture of your kids mainly, why use a SB-900??? :sweat:

well, if weight is an issue and u still want the dslr function, maybe u can try using a nikon p6000 or canon g10. Is compact and still have some of the dslr function, u can try that

hi czcsean.....thanks for your reply....its not the function that i really dissatisfied at as my the canon S5IS has the manual function inclusive of hot shoe...i'm currently in :heart: with the D90 high ISO performance that im trying to look for in a compact :embrass:

that would be a great alternative :D

if you're more on shots of the family, you can easily get a D3K and a 18-55,

the weight is also negligable.. and definitely lighter then your current set-up of a superzoom and D90...

and if you're taking picture of your kids mainly, why use a SB-900??? :sweat:

i know its an overkill with the SB900.....although still not really good with flash photography i'm still learning to use it as I've gotten good results with external flash(bouncing off walls) rather than the onboard ones....the flash isnt really mounted on the camera all the time only when needed.......the reason for SB900 is buy once without the thought of upgrading and also it was within my budget when i was looking for a flash :)

well there's always good compacts (lx3, d-lux4)

m4/3 systems, (Lumix G1, GH1, Leica X1)

the pen oly system (ep-1 with kit lens 14-42)

those can be as good IQ as DSLR, and are also very manual in allowing you to control your aperture, shutter speed alike...

i'm waiting for the panasonic to be launch and probably go with it

G11 is on my watchlist

The G10 is a powerhouse packed in a compact body. Kinda lost trying to keep up with all the latest models haha. i was looking for a compact myself , the waterproof versions. Underwater housing for slr are out of my budget and i dont intend to flood the cheap alternatives just to make a slr work underwater. sometimes a compact would do just fine . yeah haha

The G10 is a powerhouse packed in a compact body. Kinda lost trying to keep up with all the latest models haha. i was looking for a compact myself , the waterproof versions. Underwater housing for slr are out of my budget and i dont intend to flood the cheap alternatives just to make a slr work underwater. sometimes a compact would do just fine . yeah haha

the G10 is another good one, or the G11 as you said.

look out for panasonics too, their very good.

yup the G10 has good reviews all around.....maybe i will try to loan my sis LX3 for a while to see whether i like it....but i do like the G10/11 more by the appearance:dunno:

the G10 is another good one, or the G11 as you said.

look out for panasonics too, their very good.

yup definitely waiting for the panasonics to be out :lovegrin:

Just got to love the new designs for the compacts! gotta hand it to those RnD people . love to stay on longer but i got to finish up my work .. oh man. gdnite guys :)

i started everything from G10 and i was pretty much satisfied of using it. i learned basic of DSLR from that black heavy (heavy for compact camera), classic look, powerful compact camera. but it didn't last long. two months after i used G10, i took myself one level up by switching to DSLR. since then, G10 was never been used and always kept in the box until i sold it..

I like taking picture of my kids basically snapshots and not really into the arty-farty photography thingy that most of you guys here are on.....previously own couple of compact which include Canon S5is and now own a D90 with a couple of lens in the arsenal.....i been pretty much not satisfied with any of my compact/P&S but very happy with my D90 but i kinda hate it to bring it along after sometime owning the D90 due to the size and weight.....normally i just have the tamron 17-50 or sigma 18-250 on the camera and SB900 in the bag but i still feel a hassle to bring it everywhere i go...so the question is am i stuck with a dslr or is there a compact that has close to DSLR IQ.....i'm mostly dissatisfied for the poor high ISO IQ of all my previous compact.....i have a feeling i'm asking too much from a compact

Compact with High ISO IQ close to DSLR for shooting kids... er... I'm still searching for one too.

As for now, you can try a entry-level DSLR (smaller) with a fix lens (35/f2)?
It will bring the weight/size down.

Status
Not open for further replies.